Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Rudy Lens Color For Shooting

ES13Raven

Hello: I used to use reds and then started to try different colors. Polarized brown works very well to give contrast if shooting with a dull background. If a bright background the Polar 3FX works the best. I have tried most of the shades for different gun games and these are the two I use mostly. I use the Photchromic clears for indoors or cloudy days. I think my eyes are more sensitive to light than some. Altitude comes into play as well. Thanks, Eric

Photochromatic: clear to black

Use them mostly indoors. But I didn't have to invest in an outdoor set because the lenses adapt. Great on over cast days and even on bright sunny days, I don't even realize hard they're working until I take them off.

Edited by v1911

• 2 weeks later...

Clear.

Exactly ... Back in my offshore fishing days I used to have a pair of Costa Del Mar sun glasses made from optically ground glass ... Started using them for shooting since they have zero distortion vs polycarbonate lens that are colored ... When I have to go with those I always try to use clear ...

Clear.

Exactly ... Back in my offshore fishing days I used to have a pair of Costa Del Mar sun glasses made from optically ground glass ... Started using them for shooting since they have zero distortion vs polycarbonate lens that are colored ... When I have to go with those I always try to use clear ...

Hello: I would be very careful using glass lenses. The Rudy lenses are very good and I have not noticed any distortion at all. Thanks, Eric

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2016 at 7:50 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I would be very careful using glass lenses. The Rudy lenses are very good and I have not noticed any distortion at all. Thanks, Eric

It is important to double that message. Shooting glasses are Safety glasses, safety glasses first and foremost.

From Safetyeyeglass.com (store): " To help combat the eye hazards in these dangerous environments the United States Military has implemented a series of rigorous ballistic tests that safety glasses, sunglasses, and goggles worn by today's men and women in uniform have to pass. These tests subject eyewear to projectile impacts over four times the velocity (650 fps +/- 10 fps) of normal ANSI testing standards (150 fps). All the ballistic safety glasses, ballistic sunglasses and ballistic goggles listed in this section are certified ANSI Z87.1-2015 for high impact, and also meet or exceed one or more of the following ballistic standards: MIL-PRF-31013, MIL-V-43511C, and CE EN166B. "

Glass would probably shatter or splinter into the eye and that would not be a welcome result.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, eric4069 said:

what would be the preferred lens color when using a red-dot optic?    any different?

EricG

Photochromic Red Lens. I am able to see my Red Fiber Optic Sight during bright sunny and on cloudy and rainy day.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:20 AM, v1911 said:

Photochromatic: clear to black

Use them mostly indoors. But I didn't have to invest in an outdoor set because the lenses adapt. Great on over cast days and even on bright sunny days, I don't even realize hard they're working until I take them off.

I use these as well.  I have 5 lenses, but I like these so much I haven't even tried the others.

I generally shoot with clear.  You want all the light you can get, so your pupils close down, maximizing depth of field.  Early on, I bought some other lenses either out of stupidity, or because they were part of package deals.  I have racing red and multilaser orange, and haven't found a use for them.  When wearing my Rudy's as sun glasses, I like the photochromic polarized lenses...but I don't shoot with those.

3 hours ago, njl said:

I generally shoot with clear.  You want all the light you can get, so your pupils close down, maximizing depth of field.  Early on, I bought some other lenses either out of stupidity, or because they were part of package deals.  I have racing red and multilaser orange, and haven't found a use for them.  When wearing my Rudy's as sun glasses, I like the photochromic polarized lenses...but I don't shoot with those.

Photochromic red are use for dark cloudy days. I had the Zion in multilaser orange and I use that when I shoot when I face direct sunlight. I am able to see targets that are blending with the berm.