Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Stage Reset at Major Matches

hvsmith

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'm the on deck shooter, I don't like having to wait on people picking up brass or dodge them as I'm trying to do my pre-run walk through.

You shouldn't be doing a "pre-run walk through." Your time to inspect the stage is before anyone shoots it and after the WSB is read to you. Why should you get two "walk throughs" when the guy who shoots first only gets one? If the RO is allowing you to do extra "walk throughs," he is wrong. If you did this at a major match and I was the RO, I would be issuing you a procedural.

I would gladly pay $20 at a major match to not have to patch or reset steel. It is exhausting to walk all over the stages all day. It'd be so much easier and more efficient to pay some teenagers to do it.

At a recent bigger local match, we did this on a donation basis and I was happy to put 10 bucks in their bucket for a 4 stage match. It was so much more fun just shooting!

When I'm the on deck shooter, I don't like having to wait on people picking up brass or dodge them as I'm trying to do my pre-run walk through.

You shouldn't be doing a "pre-run walk through." Your time to inspect the stage is before anyone shoots it and after the WSB is read to you. Why should you get two "walk throughs" when the guy who shoots first only gets one? If the RO is allowing you to do extra "walk throughs," he is wrong. If you did this at a major match and I was the RO, I would be issuing you a procedural.

This isn't IDPA or IPSC dude. No, you wouldn't be issuing me a procedural.

Maybe you should get out and shoot more majors to see how many people would be getting procedurals using your logic.

Edited by d_striker

I would gladly pay $20 at a major match to not have to patch or reset steel. It is exhausting to walk all over the stages all day. It'd be so much easier and more efficient to pay some teenagers to do it.

At a recent bigger local match, we did this on a donation basis and I was happy to put 10 bucks in their bucket for a 4 stage match. It was so much more fun just shooting!

A procedural for what exactly, Tim? And do you really think you'd find a major match RM to uphold that? That's why squad's have a shooting order -- so everyone needs to go first at some point....

A procedural for what exactly, Tim? And do you really think you'd find a major match RM to uphold that? That's why squad's have a shooting order -- so everyone needs to go first at some point....
Uhhhhh.......yep.

On deck shooter has the right of way.

Paul: Do you know how the MD selects people to paste & re-set the stages? Are they teenagers? Do you know if they are compensated? Thanks

I can't speak for all clubs that host the SC match but at Palmetto Gun Club (2015/2016 host) we use volunteers. Our club requires members to earn work day credit and the match directors use club members to help paste and reset. I run the SC State Steel Challenge match and that's what I did last year and will do again this year. Compensation is lunch and work day credit for those that need it.

Most of the previous SC Sectionals were at MCRC. Run by Linda Chico and a variety of MDs. Contact her or Jack Suber for direct questions on how they select workers. I have been a RO/CRO at this match since 2003. Most of those years I worked with the same 4 or 5 people and we developed habits that got the job done quickly and with no issues.

The WSB is read, then I state that I have enough help to do scoring and pasting and that the shooters will not go downrange. We usually get applause at that point. If possible the scorekeeper/Nook holder starts scoring targets as the shooter advances thru the stage. If we are doing this I state so upfront and ask that the shooter designate someone to follow the scorekeeper to check for the shooter. Unless there is a question about a target it gets pasted right after the scorekeeper calls it and moves on. We divide up the stage in sections with a specific worker responsible for pasting that part. At "ULSC" scoring stops and the time is entered. I start calling targets to the scorekeeper. When scoring is complete the scorekeeper heads uprange and gets the paper copy done and the rest of us finish pasting. While scoring is going on the next shooter is the only one allowed in the shooting area. As soon as the last worker goes past me I can call "Make ready".

I spend enough time waiting at matches and don't enjoy it so I try to minimize the wait for the other shooters at the L2 and L3 matches that I work. Not allowing shooters downrange means no reshoots due to targets pasted before scoring, or no shoots getting covered up by a buddy, or REM because someone did not reset a mover the right way. RM/MDs love stages with no problems. Most shooters enjoy the sit and watch and talk time.

Just my experiences, YMMV

Paul Beck

A49023

We had JROTC at the High Desert Classic this year (working for donations) and it was a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the kids were real go getters - always picking brass and doing some resetting. Some others not so much. Day two had about 1/4 of the kids no show.

Competitors were great and I think we raised over $2400 for their JROTC. Really was cool to see everyone pitch in so much!

For me, I don't think it is worth raising prices to get them out unless you for sure have a crack squad that is going to really make life easy for competitors. Working for tips is a little different though I think. I also know a few of the kids got really interested in shooting USPSA after watching it for two days.

Chris

Most of the previous SC Sectionals were at MCRC. Run by Linda Chico and a variety of MDs. Contact her or Jack Suber for direct questions on how they select workers. I have been a RO/CRO at this match since 2003. Most of those years I worked with the same 4 or 5 people and we developed habits that got the job done quickly and with no issues.

The WSB is read, then I state that I have enough help to do scoring and pasting and that the shooters will not go downrange. We usually get applause at that point. If possible the scorekeeper/Nook holder starts scoring targets as the shooter advances thru the stage. If we are doing this I state so upfront and ask that the shooter designate someone to follow the scorekeeper to check for the shooter. Unless there is a question about a target it gets pasted right after the scorekeeper calls it and moves on. We divide up the stage in sections with a specific worker responsible for pasting that part. At "ULSC" scoring stops and the time is entered. I start calling targets to the scorekeeper. When scoring is complete the scorekeeper heads uprange and gets the paper copy done and the rest of us finish pasting. While scoring is going on the next shooter is the only one allowed in the shooting area. As soon as the last worker goes past me I can call "Make ready".

I spend enough time waiting at matches and don't enjoy it so I try to minimize the wait for the other shooters at the L2 and L3 matches that I work. Not allowing shooters downrange means no reshoots due to targets pasted before scoring, or no shoots getting covered up by a buddy, or REM because someone did not reset a mover the right way. RM/MDs love stages with no problems. Most shooters enjoy the sit and watch and talk time.

Just my experiences, YMMV

Paul Beck

A49023

That sounds awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind pasting paper targets or standing up simple stuff like Poppers and plates, but I'd really rather not have to tinker with mechanicals. Get a grenade pin in a little too far and the gadget doesn't trip and its a do-over. I'll let somebody familiar with the machinery handle that.

I shot BPCR Metallic Silhouette at a club where target setters were hired, now can only get on a range where shooters have to set their own. The ram weighs 46 lbs. My interest and participation are way down.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let the shooter that just shot the stage walk his targets but get the 2 shooters before him to past and set steel. Do that for two shooter. After the shooter pastes and sets the 2nd time on the stage they are DONE for that stage. You only past twice a stage. If it was only this easy.

I got sick of being one three or four shooters pasting at the Florida Open, so I stopped until the other lazy shooters started, then after a few shooters the same four shooters are pasting again. That's the most I can complain about, other than the way I shot.. Lol..

But doesn't the Fl Open get a ton of foreign shooters who don't usually paste at their matches? Not excusing their behavior ... Something the MD should be doing but I'm always surprised when I hear about pasting issue at a major ....

But doesn't the Fl Open get a ton of foreign shooters who don't usually paste at their matches? Not excusing their behavior ... Something the MD should be doing but I'm always surprised when I hear about pasting issue at a major ....

I've had the privilege to work the FOP and those competitors know to paste when they are at this match. Yes, maybe AT home they don't, but At the FOP they do.

That was my experience as an RO at the FOP anyway.

VERY GOOD MATCH BY THE WAY.

In my side of the pond we dont paste and brass. If you make the shooters do the works, your next match is doomed in terms of attendance. The SOP is, the organizers hire people to do it but the match fee stays the same. By d way its IPSC over here. Although USPSA is now being introduced here I doubt if we will follow your match upkeeping.

I remember when I was in Korea, and we went to qualify, they had a Korean Army person - probably a private - sitting in a chair next to each target to do the scoring. Might be a little difficult to find volunteers for that. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

How about a stable of volunteer caddies...I know plenty of young shooters that would be excited to do it at a major where they get to meet some of the pros.  You can reserve one in advance and they drag your bag, tape and bring you water for tips!

4 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

Sounds like Iron Sights Nationals at St. George, Utah is going to give this a try this year.

Sort of. You will not reset while you are shooting but you will reset during an "off" period...

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Sort of. You will not reset while you are shooting but you will reset during an "off" period...

Good point.

I think it's an interesting idea. How do you feel about it?