Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Stage Reset at Major Matches

hvsmith

I've always thought it would be a great Perk at Major Matches to have 14-17 year old kids that would patch & reset steel at every stage so all participants could just enjoy shooting. I see that the Infinity US Open this year is offering this perk. My thoughts are to have 4-5 teenagers at every stage doing this, maybe a Summer baseball league or Boy Scouts. Everyone would pay maybe an additional $15-20 for the Match & the proceeds would go to the kids. Even offer a Sponser that would chip in $500 as stage Sponsers do now. With a 10 stage match, 5 kids per stage, with 300 shooters every kid could make $100 for working 2 days. I would pay the extra $15-20 for this Perk in a NY minute but of course I'm old & the young guns may not care for this.

So what's your thoughts on this?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a video on Ben Stoegers YouTube channel with a shooter from South America (I can't recall his name), but essentially that is what they do down there.

I think it is a great idea. After watching that show it crossed my mind to being a paid person with me to paste and pick up brass so I can focus on shooting and having fun. (Mostly having fun) :)

So back when I was a kid, My dad lived right down the road from PASA park in Barry, IL. If I remember correctly, during the Masters Competition, they did have boy scouts hired to do clean up and reset targets. I also seem to remember them painting targets in between as well. It has been a long time ago, so my memory may be a little foggy. I can't speak to if it actually sped up the match or not as I was a kid and didn't participate.

I could care less about someone picking up brass. I would pay 15-20 more at a major if they did ALL the pasting and resetting. If I could just chill and goof off with friends instead of resetting I wouldn't mind.

The problem I see is that you have to train the kids not to reset the steel or paste before the scoring is finished.

Paste and reset?? Hell yes!! I would pay more to have it done at local matches also just so we don't spend more time cajoling and threatening shooters into resetting than we do enjoying the day shooting.

Wally Arida used to do this at his big matches in Norco, California. His big matches usually drew close to 300 shooters and I don't remember him specifically raising the prices, but his matches weren't priced any different than any of the other equivalent matches of the time. One year he used several local high school cheerleading teams to tape, reset and pick up brass for resale later. It was very hot and the cheerleaders dressed for the heat. It certainly improved the scenery at the match, but there were a lot of very distracted shooters. The other times as I remember it was either Boy Scouts, or high school football/basketball/baseball teams.

meh.... I'm not old fat and lazy enough to have a problem with pasting and resetting. If the weather is not warm, it helps keep active and paying attention to the match and my stage plan and my shooting instead of screwing off chatting. I wouldn't object to it, but I don't mind the current way either. On a complicated stage I don't mind sneaking an extra look (while staying out of the on-deck shooter's way) at a particular position or target on my way.

I'd gladly pay an extra $20 to not have to reset/paste.

I think all L2 and above matches should be lost brass matches. I shot a L2 match that had some high school kids picking up brass and resetting. Most of them just resorted to picking brass rather than resetting. In all honesty, they just got in the way of the on deck shooter IMO.

When I'm the on deck shooter, I don't like having to wait on people picking up brass or dodge them as I'm trying to do my pre-run walk through.

Come shoot the SC Sectional and see how it works. The last few years(4 or 5) this match has staffed each stage so that the shooters do not paste or reset anything. No reshoots from targets pasted before scoring, very few from REM because the movers get reset the same way by the same person all day.

Paul Beck

Come shoot the SC Sectional and see how it works. The last few years(4 or 5) this match has staffed each stage so that the shooters do not paste or reset anything. No reshoots from targets pasted before scoring, very few from REM because the movers get reset the same way by the same person all day.

Paul Beck

Where can I find info on this match? Is your section match the state championship or is it a different match?

Edited by d_striker

The couple of IPSC matches that I have shot in Europe had match staff that pasted and reset, you were not allowed to touch any targets. The last few Ft. Benning 3 gun matches have staffed the match were there was minimal resetting done by competitors. It is nice not to have to worry about resetting, but I don't mind pasting/resetting either.

Hurley

For D-Striker look at the Blue Bullets SC Sectional in the match announcement forum.

For HV Smith my group of 4 works together and lets the MD know we want to work together. We design and staff a stage. One CRO, 2-3 RO, and usually one club member working each stage. Since we work together frequently we know how to divide up the stage into "We will start scoring before the shooter finishes. The same person is responsible for the same targets each time. Most stages we can run a shooter every 3 1/2 minutes.

My understanding is that in many foreign nations shooting like we do in the US is not an everyman sport, but is rather reserved for the upper crust. They pay much more than we do and they hire people to set, rest and pick up brass etc. At a Major Match, would I pay extra? Probably yes, depending upon the match and the final costs.

At FN 3-Gun in West Virginia the stages all have sufficient crew to set the stage. Usually we have a minimum of 7 Staff per stage enough hands to spot, maintain the load table and set. Shooters shoot.

For D-Striker look at the Blue Bullets SC Sectional in the match announcement forum.

For HV Smith my group of 4 works together and lets the MD know we want to work together. We design and staff a stage. One CRO, 2-3 RO, and usually one club member working each stage. Since we work together frequently we know how to divide up the stage into "We will start scoring before the shooter finishes. The same person is responsible for the same targets each time. Most stages we can run a shooter every 3 1/2 minutes.

I havent pasted a target in any of the years I've shot the SC match..

Also the Alabama sectional has worked the same way,at least for the last 3years.

I despise CROS/ROS that score targets while I'm shooting at Majors. A good crew can run a stage in that amount of time doing it the right way.

I'm not adverse to resetting stages but can see where some may like it. Therefore I would not pay extra for it

I've been to several that tried kids(HS and younger)

1st day before noon went very good, afternoon the numbers started dwindling

2nd day about 1/2 showed up, by afternoon lucky if there were 2 per stage.

Been to a few that ROTC, young Marines or similar helped, over all pretty good, but they could raise twice the $$ helping at biker rallies for tips. Sad to say

I would absolutely pay for it. I'm not old yet but even after back surgery I don't bend good and really need to sit at least half as much as I stand. But about the only time I don't help is if there's enough guys out there before me or I'm on deck.

Let me ask this then, since it isn't everyone who is willing to pay extra, what if I just brought my own person to do it for me, what impression would that leave? I took my 9yo one time and had her doing brass for everyone. Loading my mags a couple times and the guys were great even let her enter my scores (just mine) in to practiscore. But I'm talking about paying a 21-25yo girl to do all my taping and resetting.

Red