Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a new rifle now I need glass. Suggestions please!

450AK

I have a Bushnell ERS 3.5-21x50 with and H59 reticle and absolutely love it, It's almost identical to the HDMR (http://bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/hdmr-3-5-21x-50mm-horus-h-59). Great glass quality and it's only 13" long, which I really like. I looked around and was able to get it for $1500 from Eurooptic.com but you can probably find a used one or earlier generation one for cheaper if you're not in a hurry. I have the Mil/Mil version but they make an MOA version too and have several good reticles. If you're looking for more magnification, theres a 6-24x50 version of the ERS and their XRS is identical but with 4.5-30x50 magnification. I have heard fantastic things about the Vortex Razors as well, but they're a little pricier as well as being bigger & heavier. For what it's worth, Bushnell just announced that they now have a no questions asked, lifetime warranty as well (like Vortex's).

I would check out an SWFA HD 5-20. It doesn't have the name of a Nightforce, S&B, USO, etc., but the glass is CLEAR and for the price, cannot be beat.

Check out Snipershide for reviews. No long range shooter will ever rag on an SWFA HD. Save all the extra $$ for reloading components and/or ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys sorry I've been missing for a bit. I've been doing a ton of research. I'm about ready to pull the trigger. I think I'm set on the Nightforce just for the simple fact they have a good name and I'm love the MOAR and MOAR-T reticles. Now there's a thousand dollars differents between the NXS and the ATACR F1. Is first focal plane and the jump in glass worth a grand. That's a lot of powder and bullets but you know what they say about buying once and crying once. So it's between these two and I'll spend the money if it's a huge advantage. If not I'll buy more components.

If you are going to be shooting matches and you NEED to range targets, then ffp would probably be better. You can still range with sfp, but your magnification will have to be properly set to the mfg set power for that. The moar and t reticle is a great shooter reticle. It's not as good of a ranging reticle. You will be able to range ok with it, but it is clear that it is for shooting more than ranging. Hunting and shooting steel at long range should work great. Nightforce makes pretty good stuff so I hope you are happy. There are so many options out there with scopes, even from the same company. It all comes down to wisely picking a scope that is best for your intended purpose, with the best glass that you can afford.

Edited by shooter steve

• 1 month later...

I personally use Nightforce.

I have a couple of them and depending on how power you are looking for depends on which you get.

if you keep in the 5-25x i would go with the MOAR-t reticle in the NXS.

I have their MOAR reticle in my nxs and also the Competition version in 15-55x with the FCR reticle.

on the cheaper end and one I also have and use, would be the sightron SIII in either 8-32x or 10-50x you can find those under a grand and they are great glass.

• 8 months later...

If your budget is $2000.00, I would definitely go with Nightforce. Personally I like the 5.5x22 over my 3.5x15 for shooting targets and long range. Nightforce really is intended for long range and very repeatable. They also have great resale value. I have been very satisfied with the quality of all of the ones I have. 

Look online may be able to purchase used or even demo's or sometime available.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 for over a decade.  Love it.  I also picked up a previously owned, but never mounted 3.5-15x50 NXS for a grand last year at a gun show.  Love it.  I am in the same boat and looking for new glass for a 300 Win Mag that I'm playing with, but I just cant seem to stomach the ever increasing prices for the Nightforce scopes (was looking at NXS 5.5-22x50).  I think my next purchase is to try a Vortex Razor HD Gen 1 5-20x50.  I am eligible for one of their discounts and Vortex offers a lot better discount than NF does for the same MSRP scope. 

On 01/16/2016 at 4:06 PM, EDA said:

I would check out an SWFA HD 5-20. It doesn't have the name of a Nightforce, S&B, USO, etc., but the glass is CLEAR and for the price, cannot be beat.

Check out Snipershide for reviews. No long range shooter will ever rag on an SWFA HD. Save all the extra $$ for reloading components and/or ammo.

I second this.   I keep looking for reasons to buy other brands but keep buying SWFA because they work so well.  Money in this sport goes so many ways and this is one place you can get a break.  

• 1 month later...

I had Masterpiece Arms build me a bolt Action 6.5 Creedmoor.  I first put a Vortex PST 6-24x50 on the rifle and was very happy with the scope, but I always wanted a Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 Mrad. Optics Planet sent me a coupon code for 15% off and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the Votex Razor.  The Vortex PST was a good scope, but the Vortex Razor is fantastic scope.  I am very happy I spent the extra money on this scope.

On 5/28/2017 at 8:13 PM, S&W686 said:

I had Masterpiece Arms build me a bolt Action 6.5 Creedmoor.  I first put a Vortex PST 6-24x50 on the rifle and was very happy with the scope, but I always wanted a Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 Mrad. Optics Planet sent me a coupon code for 15% off and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the Votex Razor.  The Vortex PST was a good scope, but the Vortex Razor is fantastic scope.  I am very happy I spent the extra money on this scope.

There's a VERY discernible difference between the Razor 2 and PST. I am quite happy with my Razor 2, but I will be letting it go once my AMG comes in.

• 2 months later...

A very knowledgable sniper once told me

"If you take a $3,000 rifle and put a $500 scope on it you know what you now have? 

A $500 rifle."

Good glass costs big bucks. 

Around 2 grand is where you should begin your quest. If thats the top of your budget then I'd suggest Nightforce.

I have a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 50mm with illuminated reticle (Mil Dot)

Good piece of glass that (at the time) cost me around $1200

Ive won some stuff with it so its a good rifle/glass combo.

If you can part with more $ then possibly a Schmidt and Bender scope. Their glass is hard to beat.

Get Badger base and rings. They mill everything together in sets so theres no issues with having to lap the rings.

As long as your gunsmith mounts things correctly you'll have no problems with them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to put on your rifle. :)

Schmidt-Bender, Nightforce and Vortex are probably the most popular when it comes to high end scopes.  Try checking snipers hide forum.  Lots of excellent info there on scopes from people with first hand knowledge.  You can browse the threads and see real quick what people are using.  There's also a classifieds area and you can find some good deals.

Nightforce scopes are great! Durability, outstanding turrets and reticles. There  2.5 x 10 x 42 through the 5.5 x 22 are great. I shoot steel out to 500 yards with with 2.5x10x32 with ease. I have had great service with all of my Nightforce scopes. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...