Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI P-Mag Basepad Stuck

So I did something dumb when my TTI P-Mag basepads arrived. They are ultimately destined for Gen 2 P-Mags as my rifle prefers them over Gen 3, but in my haste to look at them on a mag I was sliding it on a Gen 3 mag with spring and bottom plate still in (not base plate, the one on the bottom of the spring). I went to far and the spring extended (like it should).

So, I have a PMag with the Gen 3 bottom plate and spring still in it and a TTI basepad on. I obviously can't slide the TTI basepad off with the bottom plate in because of the little riser that sticks up. Anyone ever done anything equally as stupid? Curious if there are any tricks to my getting it off short of scrapping the mag and cutting the feed lips off to pull the spring out the top so I can slide the basepad off.

Brute force. You aren't the first and probably not the last to do that. I emailed them and they said to force it and if the pmag broke they'd replace it. YMMV, but the careful application of force got mine to come off and it did no lasting damage.

I'd go for cutting the follower in half fore to aft with a dremel to get it out and try and save the mag body and base pad, might be able to wiggle the spring out then or if you clipped the spring at least it is just a mag rebuild.

or depending on how many I had I'd just scrap it and hang it in the gun room as a "don't do this again " part ( I have a few )

one review said it was a one way trip if you put it together with the lock plate :mellow: maybe Taran can offer a get out of jail method I am sure you are not the first shooter to do this.

Good Luck

J

P.S. Fishsticks I was also thinking just the BF method

Edited by Amerflyer48

I think they need to be shown what generation Pmag they are for on the website. The .308 extensions don't fit on a Gen 2 mag, but on a Gen 3. There was no indication on the site, when I bought them.

Noted, will fix it tomorrow! I know we have them on the .223 basepads, but it may not have made their way onto the .308 ones. Thanks for pointing it out!

Did the same exact thing on mine. I ended up drilling a 1/16" hole in the bottom center of the basepad, used a hex key to push the plate up, then slid off the basepad. Not ideal, but it got the job done and I didn't have to sacrifice the mag (which was brandy-new BTW) or the basepad.