Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AlphaCharis' PewPew Life

AlphaCharis

#drypewpewing

01/25/17    75 minutes

Last night felt much better.  Didn't take me forever to "warm up."  Reinforces the fact that I need to be awake for probably four hours before a match so I can be fully awake and alert.  About 15 minutes in I felt that I was gripping a lot better; either need to learn to grip tighter right away, or maybe I should add a warm up time before matches.  I rarely ever use any time before a match to handle my gun.  I started with a few things off of Stoeger's "15 Minute Dry Fire" video on YouTube, which is kind of a funny (deceiving?) title, because the first time I went through it, I spent 45 minutes going through the first half of the exercises.  

Warm Up (no par time):

• Group shooting on a light switch from across the living room
  • Draws:  slow-mo, from hands at sides, surrender position, turn and draw, draw while moving forward, and backward
  • Reloads:  starting in slo-mo and then going up to speed

Core USPSA Skills:

• Bill Drill, started at 1.8 sec, then 1.6, 20 reps
  • 90 degree transitions, 1.6 seconds, 20 reps
  • El Prez, started at 6.0 seconds, realized it was way too long of a timer.  Did 10 reps at 5.5, 10 reps at 5.0, then I set it for the goal par time of 3.5 seconds just to see what it felt like.  I just wanted to see if I could get it in that time if I tried to aim as best as I could, but didn't care about my hits.  I was kinda surprised when I finished very close to the par time.  I set the timer to do some more reps and tried to finish in the time.  Most runs I couldn't find my front sight, and just point shot the first time over the targets, after the reload I could see my sights and call my shots.  I started thinking, "With practice... I could totally do this!"  I didn't think before that it was in the realm of possibility for me.
  • Reloads (6R6R6), 10 reps at 6.5 seconds, 15 reps at 6.2 seconds, 10 reps at 6.0, 15 reps at 5.8.  Reloads are feeling so much better.  The night before felt like such a struggle.  I think I was pushing too hard, so last night I backed off the timer and didn't bump it down until I was ready.

Someone mentioned my draws were slow, so I tried working on that last night.  Focused on standing in my shooting position at my ready position and/or not changing my position when I don't need to.  REALLY need to put the new BOSS hanger on my holster, the one I have now is angled out way too far, and against division rules, and have to tilt my wrist out too much to draw.  Too much movement going on.

Learning Drills: 

• Draw Component Drills, pg 17, to index, 10 yards, 0.7 seconds, 40 reps.  I am pushing out toward the target at the beep.  So I think I am really aimed up around 0.8 seconds.  It's pretty consistent.  I think if I bump it up to 0.8, I will get it every time - so either keep it where it's at to try and force me to make it, or maybe do a 0.75, if my timer lets me do hundredths place.  Not sure what I need to do to be faster.  I'm mostly concerned about consistency, and my grip out of the holster has gotten SO MUCH better.  I used to be all over the place, adjusting my grip after the draw, adding seconds to my stage time.  So at least that is improving.
  • Draw, (10 yards, engage single target twice) 15 reps at 1.3 seconds, 10 reps at 1.1 seconds, 10 reps at 1.0 seconds 

Field Course Skills (I didn't set a par time):

• Shooting while moving, pg 65
  • Position Exit, pg 73, except I was exiting and concentrating on reloading and then coming in to the new shooting box for Position Entry, pg 69

Edited by AlphaCharis

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was so tired last night, I decided to just do my range journal entry.  I then went to bed earlier than my recent norm, but stayed up reading with my head lamp Bassham's book, "With Winning in Mind."  I started it awhile back and am now half way through it.  Good stuff!  I am more positive this year.  Though, I feel somewhat fake when I'm positive; I feel like being down on myself is more "realistic" - but changing that mindset!  This quote, I believe attributed to Henry Ford, is something I need to remember:  "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.... you're right."

Edited by AlphaCharis

#drypewpewin

1/27/17    90 minutes

Started with the drills in the Stoeger dryfire video, did each one anywhere from 5-15 reps each, depending on how I felt about them.  No par time for any of them.  Used it as my warm up session.  I think I did this for at least 30 minutes.  I didn't look at the clock until after some of the timed stuff and it had been an hour. 

• Group shooting at long distance
  • Draws:  slow mo, hands at side, wrists above, draw and advance, draw and step left/right, draw to strong, draw to weak, turn and draw.
  • Reloads:  slow mo; upper A, reload to lower A; Reload to SH, reload to WH; upper A, step reload to lower A; load to upper A (I think I did 40 reps for this - and then figured out a par time for it later), turn and shoot, reload and kneel; wrists above, draw from kneel.

Core USPSA Skills

• 90 degree transitions, 1.7 seconds, 40 reps
  • Bill Drill, 1.8--1.6 seconds, 30 reps
  • El Prez, 5.5 seconds, 20 reps 
  • Reloads (6R6R6), 6.0 (30), 6.2 (10), 6.1 (10), 50 reps
  • Unloaded Start to lower A, 3 seconds (1), 1.5 second (1), 1.6 (10), 1.7 seconds (10), 1.8 seconds (10), 32 reps 

Looking at my video now, looks a little slow...

Edited by AlphaCharis
Adding instagram link for video

#drypewpewing

1/29/17    40 minutes

I didn't feel like dryfiring, but it's my goal to dryfire at least 15 minutes at least 5 days a week (Monday-Sunday).  I had already taken two days off, and this was the last day of my dryfire week - so I had to!

Warmed up with some draws.  I noticed on one of my videos, my thumbs were pointing up a bit, so worked on 3/4 speed draws to really make sure my weak hand grip was good.  Started from hands at sides, wrists above, and did a few strong hand and passing to weak hand.  Some transitions between targets and also some 90 degree transitions, no timer.  Did a few timed things, didn't focus on speed as much as really focusing on my weak hand grip and having my elbows out a bit, instead of tucked in like I have a habit of doing.

Core USPSA Skills Practice

• Reloads, 6.1 second par time, 10 reps
  • El Prez, 5.0 sec, 5 reps; 4.8 sec, 10 reps, also did some off the timer.  Really focused on getting all alphas.
  • Reload drills, 1.3 sec, 10 reps, 1.5 sec, 10 reps.  Felt like I was really struggling with my reloads tonight.  Except my "struggling" today was better than my reloads just a few weeks ago, so I would say that is improvement.

Reloading on the move.  Had three sets of targets in different spots in the house and set up a barrier of an empty stacked moving box between two of the positions.  Was able to practice shooting targets and then reloading while moving in different directions, depending on what set I started on.  The most difficult scenario, which was really choppy, was shooting some targets downrange and then having to reload and travel uprange about 6 feet past a barricade to my left and shoot a series of three targets and popper.  Figuring out the best spot to reload, and reloading while sorta travelling right and completing the reload so I was ready to shoot when I made it past the barricade..... still needs work. 

This is from last week I thought was kinda funny because it surprised me....

#drypewpewing

1/30/17    15 minutes

Tonight I didn't even put on my belt and holster, did all my drills from low-ready.  Wanted to focus on getting my eyes on a target and then driving my gun there with sights aligned.  I focused on proper grip and aggressive transitions between the targets.  I felt the other night that my sights were ending up on the target with my front sight dipped down a bit, so wanted to iron that out a bit.  I felt tonight I was seeing my sights quickly and able to meet the targets with almost no adjustment needed.  I tried moved around a bit too and aimed at targets from different angles, not just head-on.  I also did several arrays and would switch to strong hand or weak hand only on distance poppers and the plate rack from 10 (simulated) yards.  Also had a good focus on a clean trigger press for all these drills; noticing the feeling of only my trigger finger engaging.  Short but productive session. 

#physical training

The last three months I have been stretching and doing exercises with body weight and light weights to strengthen my back and shoulders, trying to get the pain from an injury (from being rear-ended 2 1/2 years ago) to go away.  Started dry-firing January 4.  I told my physical therapist that I had started practicing for my sport, and the pain level had increased; I thought it may make everything worse, and wondered whether to back off.  But then, I thought to myself - I have two options:  I can either (1) do what I did most of 2016, which was attend matches but be too afraid of pain to practice... and not get better, and try and be happy with that level of participation.  Or (2) start dry-firing regularly so I can get better, because I don't think I can be happy with my current skill level, and hope it just gets worse before it gets better.  Because if I'm going to be in pain anyway, I might as well get something out of it as well.  So, I've been dry-firing.  

On Sunday, I stopped in my tracks around noon because something felt wrong... I realized I had hardly hurt all morning.  It was the first day over two years that I almost felt normal.  All day Sunday and yesterday, the pain has been a third of what it has been the last six months.  I think hour-long sessions in dry-firing and increased movement in that entire right rib/back/shoulder area are helping.  I really hope it hasn't been a fluke these past two days.  I'm taking it easy on the weights, don't want to add too much, too fast and set myself back, but going to keep on adding activity little by little.         

I only have the 7 lb weight right now, so I need to get a heavier one for the bicep curls, and some other weights to continue the exercises I was doing at PT.  And need to get a foam roller this week, too.  I would also like to start yoga back up at the Y.  I used to do yoga three times a week before the accident.  Last time I tried going, I could hardly move to do any of the exercises.  May still be like that, but gotta start somewhere! 

Did a few things after dry-fire. 

• 50 crunches on my yoga ball
  • 2 sets of 12 push ups (the girlie ones for now)
  • 2 sets of 20 bicep curls (7 lb weight) 
  • 25 squats (holding my 7 lb weight)
  • 5 minutes stretching
  • heat pack on my back

Edited by AlphaCharis

#pewpewing

1/08/17    Winter Wonderland @ Paul Bunyan

7th Production, 57.68% of Production M (ThumblessKorean)

I'm going to blame this train-wreck of a match on the off-season + gun malfunctions ;)

Stage 1:  62.95% 23A, 7C, 1D, 1M -- I totally knew I miked a target and didn't even make it up BLEH.  Had a horrific reload, almost forgot a target, and 180 transition was slow.   

Stage 2:  63.43%  19A , 4C, 1D -- Slippery stage, need to replace my cleats tread in the front is worn.  Light strike BLEH. AVOIDABLE!  I am now changing out springs before this stuff happens.

Stage 3:  40.2%, 10A, 3B, 3C -- I was feeling good about this stage and then I had a light strike while leaning around the barricade, holding a monkey, shooting strong hand only.  Three times.  Totally killed my time and dropped my percentage drastically.  This is hopefully remedied already with the changing out of springs. 

Stage 4:  19.79%, 8A, 2C,2M -- SQUIB.  Totally killed another stage score.  Besides that, I did not have this stage memorized well enough, I messed up the order and think I ended up shooting targets extra times.  My press has been giving me grief, need to figure out its issue and fix my press before loading up my 1,000 rounds for Berry's Steel Open.... coming up very soon!

Stage 5:  60.32%, 21A, 1C, 1D -- I felt slow on this stage because of all the awkward movement.  I'm still not totally comfortable moving uprange, need to practice that more in dry-fire.  Called a bad hit and made it up... but didn't really pay attention to the hit and made up a delta with a delta.  Need to remember that just throwing lead downrange in the general direction of the target is not going to help.  Another messed up reload in this stage.  Been practicing getting the same firm grip on the mag each time in dry-fire.

Stage 6:  74.92%, 25A -- hard to see the poppers against the white snow!  I was happy with this stage.  I was going one-for-one on all the steel until the last position when I started thinking about it lol.  I overran the last port, thinking it was symmetrical to the other side.,, rehearse better!  It was only a few steps, so I did not have my reload completed right away.

Stage 7:  36.6% 7A, 1B -- Ah!  Pucker Factor.  My first "A" class classifier score.... if I had not taken that last "pick-up" shot on the head box.... in Virginia Count.... that I didn't actually need.  Instead of ignoring my instincts like I did in stage 1, I hadn't called my first shot, so made it up without thinking, and then remembered as I pulled the trigger that it was VC.  Otherwise, it was perfect, though a little conservative.  

I totally bombed three of my stages, but I see a lot of my weak spots that I need to work on.    

• practice reloads while moving
  • 180 transitions faster, eyes before gun
  • running uprange needs to be more natural
  • don't ignore your instincts
  • call your shots, pick up right away if its worth it, and then don't waste the time - AIM appropriately
  • don't start thinking
  • memorize the stage!  visualize everything repeatedly; also program for VC
  • maintenance:  replace cleats & fix loading press
  • maintenance:  springs replaced - start replacing them before things go wrong
  • practice on swingers

#drypewpewing

1/31/17    95 minutes

I felt really good about this session!  Reloads felt smoother and more natural, felt alert and seeing my sights faster.

Warm Up

• Draws:  slow-mo x5; hands at sides x5, wrists above x5, turn and draw x5, moving forward x10, draw and step left/right x10, draw to SH x5, draw to WH x5. 
  • Reloads:  slow-mo; upper A, reload lower A; draw reload to SH, reload to WH x5, then did same thing but shot three targets x5; upper A, step reload to lower A x10; load to upper A x30.

Short Course Skills 

• Ammo pick up - unloaded firearm, pickup mag and unloaded firearm from table, 2.5 seconds x15, 2.0 x10

Core USPSA Skills

• BIll Drill, 1.7 seconds x20
  • El Prez, 4.8 seconds, x10, 4.6 seconds x5
  • 90 degree transitions, 1.7 seconds x10, and more target transitions no par time
  • 180 degree transitions, no par time x10
  • Reloads (6r6r6), 6.1 seconds x30
  • Draw to 3 reloads, 6.5 seconds x5, 5.5 seconds x5
  • Draw to one target (2 shots), 1.1 seconds x10

Learning Drills

• Draw to index, 0.7 seconds x20
  • Reload Drills, 1.5 seconds x10, 1.4 seconds x10
  • Transition component drills, 2.2 seconds x30, 2.0 seconds x10

Field Course

Spent some time with shooting on the move, incorporated the 90 and 180 degree transitions

Marksmanship 

Spent some time group shooting at distance, clean trigger presses

#physical training

1/31/17    20 minutes?  No idea how long it took to do these

Lunch break

• 2 sets x12 push ups (girlie style)
  • 20 situps
  • 2 sets x25 rows with my resistance tubing in the doorjamb
  • 15 with my resistance tubing in the doorjamb - not sure what excercise it is called, but the band was up high and I was pulling down 

After dryfire

• 3 sets x6 pushups (arms were tired!  couldn't do more than 6 in a row lol)
  • 30 crunches on yoga ball
  • 25 squats
  • 2 sets x20 bicep curl (7 lb weights)
  • shoulder shrugs and stretching

Edited by AlphaCharis
Added physical training from the day

• 3 weeks later...

Little behind on everything....

#drypewpewing

February 3, 2017    70 minutes

Warm Up:

• Draws:  slow-mo x5, hands at side x5, wrists above x5, draw and move forward x10, draw ad step left/right x10, draw to SH/WH.
  • Reloads:  slow-mo, upper A, reload lower A; draw, reload to SH reload to WH (shot 3 targets each) x5; load to upper A x30

Core USPSA Skills:

• 90 degree transitions, 1.7 sec, 10 reps
  • BIll Drill 1.7/1.6, 20 reps
  • Reloads, 6.1, 25 reps.... wanna get this down lower and consistent!
  • Reloads, 6.1, 25 reps
  • Reloads, 6.0, 10 reps
  • Reloads, 5.9, 20 reps
  • Draw with 3 reloads, 5.5, 15 reps
  • Unloaded start, 1.8, 20 reps

Field Course

• practiced reloading while exiting positions

Reminder:  Don't cheat yourself in dryfire - don't want to get into bad habits.

Elbows and forearms have been hurting.  Callouses have been nice in protecting fingers though :)

#livefire

February 4, 2017  ~200 rounds

I didn't really think about writing stuff down, so here's the things I did manage to record:

Groups at 25 yards, headshots at 25 yards, A zone headshot at 7 yards

Bill Drill (7 yards)

Alphas, 1 close charlie:  2.22 seconds

Fastest time:  1.92 seconds (charlie/deltas included blah)

Alphas (slow!):  2.60 seconds 

Fastest split:  0.13

Draw to One shot (alpha at 7 yards)

Average:  1.07 seconds

Fastest:  0.93 seconds

Into the berm with sights alighned:  0.83 seconds

Call it and leave it drill.  

Reload on the move

x10, steel reload as I move to next position to shoot paper

Skills to Work on:

Support hand grip was poor.  Need to really focus on a good, tight grip in dryfire.  Getting lazy with it.  

Gun up and ready to shoot when I enter position

#dryfire

February 6, 2017    15 minutes

Arms and elbows had been SORE.  Decided to rest up a bit before the Berry's Steel Open later in the week.

Edited by AlphaCharis
Adding dryfire day.

#pewpewing

Had an aweome time at Berry's Steel Open near St. George, Ut!  I was better at a few things.  I was really disappointed unitl I compared it to last year, and could see definite improvement.  Super excited about continuing dryfiring this year and seeing matches go better. :)  I'm only 7% away from A class, but I feel I should be in B class for awhile longer.  Not where I want to be right now skill-wise.  Ugh.  Getting better, though.

#drypewpewing

2/20/17    30 minutes

Felt so good to get back to dryfiring tonight!  Had to cut it a little short after a manhattan, whiskey sour, and some gentleman's brew.  Draws felt solid, indexing good, turn and draws for El Prez were getting a little iffy, then the reloads were getting a little slow.  I think I'll put the cocktails off tomorrow night.  

Edited by AlphaCharis
Added amount of time dryfired

#drypewpewing

2/21/17    30 minutes

Focused on reloads, they were feeling a little rusty after the week off from dry-fire.  The days leading up to the Berry's match, though I wasn't dryfiring, it let my elbows and forearms stop hurting -- so it was productive, I suppose.  I think I will add a few exercises in from other threads about helping with "tennis shooters' elbow".  I got some light weights to continue with the exercises I was doing in physical therapy for my back.  The pain is finally tolerable and am hopeful I may feel "normal" again someday. 

Reloading on the move.... I have this bad habit of reloading with the same cadence as I'm walking or moving to another position.  I may have mentioned this before.  Still a problem.  I end up taking the entire distance, or close to it, to complete my reload.  Maybe my subconscious it telling me I have that much time to do my reload, why do it now... might be the procrastinator in me.  Need to "refine & repetition" that out of me.  I am focusing on that this week in dry-fire.  I would like to get a live-fire session in this week as well, working on reloads on the move and some marksmanship to balance out the "speed mode" in dry-fire.    

Reminder of my main goals for this season:

• Dry-fire at least 15 minutes a day (5-6 days a week)
  • Live-fire 400 rounds a month (one or more sessions) 
  • Meet or exceed my goals!  And remember:  "I am becoming an 'A class' shooter by sticking to my training schedule."  

#drypewpewing

2/22/17    45 minutes

A few timed things

Bill Drill, 1.6 seconds, 20 reps

Reloads, 5.9 seconds, 10 reps

Then spent most of my time off the timer.  

Tried to get my support hand in a consistent position on the draw to make my draw more consistent.  Seems like my hand wanders a bit, or meets with my gun at different levels going to the target.  Practiced more reloads, El Prez, and then reloads on the move were the focus.  Reloading stepping right and left, and reloading while running around the corner both to the right and left.  Trying to get the reload finished as quick as possible and be ready to shoot coming into position.  Focused on accuracy more than speed, seeing my sights, getting all alphas.  Felt like I was going the same speed as on the timer, but watching the video, I look slow.

#pewpewing this weekend

Excited to shoot this weekend in Dundee!  Not looking forward to waking up at 3 AM to get there ;/  Haven't shot a USPSA match in forever.  Looking forward to this season. 

• 2 weeks later...

#pewpewing

2-25-17  Dundee in Oregon

Skills to work on:

1.  Flip & catch in the sun

2.  Swingers

3.  Not panicking

4.  Not looking at foot or fault line after stepping over it

5.  TRIGGER CONTROL.... I've backslid

Stage 1:  

Stage plan was efficient, eliminated as many transitions as possible.  Best 5 on each target, Virginia Count.    String 1 - Freestyle 3 shots, reload, 3 shots; String 2 - SHO 3 shots, reload, 3 shots; String 3 - WHO 3 shots.  I decided to do the freestyle by shooting the left target twice and the middle one once, then reloading and shooting the right target twice and middle one once.  That eliminated all my transitions between targets for the following strings with SHO and WHO.  For SHO, I could then shoot the right target three times, reload and shoot the middle target 3 times.  WHO I shot the left target 3 times. 

Stage plan was good, but execution sucked.  The three targets were left to right:  2A, 2C, 1D  /  2A, 1C, 2D  /  2A, 2C, 1M.  Had better hits with my weak hand lol.

Stage 2:

My only good stage!  All alphas, except for one delta - the target I picked up the shot on because I fired a little early.  I could see my front sight low and left, wasn't quite ready, yet.  I think I was a little thrown off and didn't aim my second shot, and then aimed my pickup - 1A, 2D on that target.  Reload was decent on this stage, though I was trying to complete it faster. I kinda started walking to the right and wasted a bunch of movement and then walked backward a few steps before completing.  Going around the corner could have been better.  17A, 1D

Stage 3:

I was so  S L O W  on this stage.  Then I panicked on the swinger.  I need to get some more live fire practice in!  All this time away from the range has made me scared of targets and hesitant.  12A, 5B (left partial 1A,2B; right partial 3B), 5C, 3D, 1M (A, D, M on the left swinger).

Stage 4:

90 degree transitions were a little quicker than my old normal.  Why didn't I walk forward on the second stacked target array?!  ugh  I was going in that port anyway.  Wasted so much time.  i think if I shot this again, I would have avoided going in that area and shot the steel from the back.  I was trying to make it simple so it would run smoothly, but it ended up feeling really slow.  Didn't help that I overstepped the fault line and then looked down when all I had to do was pull my foot back and not stop aiming.  bleh.  29A, 3C

Stage 5:

Picked up my gun funky and had thumb all weird and didn't fix it, got AC's on both those targets.  Kinda slow on the pickup as well; didn't look urgent when I watched the video.  I liked my first reload, I kept my gun up and got aiming quicker than normal on the small targets I was coming in on.  Was aimed before I stopped!  This is an improvement for me as I usually am posted up before finishing aiming at the target.  I stayed lower than usual, too, just started working on that in dryfire.  Sometimes in public I start walking lower for practice and then realize I must look weird.  After the tiny target array my 90 degree-ish transition to the other cute arrays looked more urgent then normal, so I was happy about that.  Splits didn't sound too bad, either, on those arrays.  Walking up to the next array wasn't steady enough and first hit was a delta, and on the one right after, I meant to shoot the top target first, and then back up while shooting the open target.  (Sorry, NickBlasta!  I failed!)  I started with the open and then started thinking, "Dang, I did that backward!"  Need to stop thinking during stages!  Last four targets, splits were really slow.  21A, 2B, 3C, 2D

Stage 6:

Classifier.  Grip was bad.  Reload was bad.  And SLOW.  56% on the classifier.  Joked on the video whether I could get bumped back down to C class (where I belong?)  ugh.  8A, 4C, 14.78 seconds, 3.5183 HF.

Placement:

Production:  6th Place -- 77.82% of Production A

Overall:  30th of 74 -- 55.21%  of Open GM

Edited by AlphaCharis
added hits on stage 2 and 5

You are going good identifying areas for improvement and working on them.  Don't forget to point out areas you did well in.  Along those same lines I would advise that NOT is not a word that should be in a goal.   Below is your list with a few comments from "glass half full" guy.

Skills to work on:
1.  Flip & catch in the sun - hopefully this is tongue in cheek as it's not point related, but brings up the point of practicing repeatable movements. 
2.  Swingers - what about them?  You look like you are tracking them great.  Continue practicing swingers and refine your point of aim.
3.  Not panicking - ah, the NOT.  Where are you "panicking?"  Swingers, other instances.  This should be some sort of focus or confidence related goal for a particular situation. 
4.  Not looking at foot or fault line after stepping over it - another NOT.  How about we concentrate on "pick your spot" or "identify anchors" as I call it.  
5.  TRIGGER CONTROL.... I've backslid  - You know what has to happen here.  More practice, more shooting.  

To expand on the anchor thing.  This is greatly improved by taking your walk through very seriously and obtaining your exact shooting positions during it.  This will help cement in both the intended items and general view.  That way, the position becomes more familiar when shooting and you subconsciously get into it during the run.   This is expanded by looking around a bit while in that final position.  You may identify something that tells you are there that you don't see if you are just standing near or otherwise not in your final position.  This can happen subconsciously as well, but the only way that can happen is if you are in your exact position.  

As an example on a run I recently did, I decided I needed to enter a shooting position between a shotgun wad, and a stick on the ground.  There was nothing on the fault line that I noticed so those items are what I picked for my "anchors."  I made sure they were still there when it was my turn to shoot.  When I was actually shooting it I have no recollection of looking for, or seeing the anchor items.  I either used them subconsciously, or just did it based on general view.  But either way, I entered in the exact spot I needed and executed the run exactly as rehearsed.  The point is, I don't know if I used the conscious anchors or other subconscious anchors.  What I do know is that I allowed that to happen from the exact position during walk through and spending the time to find a conscious anchor for it. 

Very impressed with the amount of work you are putting into this!  I've watched many of the vids and am impressed with how you calmly deal with malfs which seem to happen to you too regularly.  

I know you've got a ton of time in on the XDm, but it seems to give you more problems than help.  For instance, the FNS longslide has a far superior magwell which would help speed up your reloads and a Shadow may be an improvement too.  I don't think the XDM is a bad gun, but it seems that it isn't giving you enough "upside".

You guys have a wonderful range and what appears to be a very fun group of shooters up there!  All of you should keep the videos coming!

16 minutes ago, Glock26Toter said:

You are going good identifying areas for improvement and working on them.  Don't forget to point out areas you did well in.  Along those same lines I would advise that NOT is not a word that should be in a goal.   Below is your list with a few comments from "glass half full" guy.

Thanks. :)  I'm pretty good at finding all my flaws lol  I took your advice awhile back and have been trying to find the positives.  I was pleased with about 3 things in this match - I did mention those things when I was talking about each stage, so a little improvement on the positives, I guess ;)   I always forget to not use "not"... I mean.... I will remember to phrase goals in the positive! 

45 minutes ago, Glock26Toter said:

Skills to work on:
1.  Flip & catch in the sun - hopefully this is tongue in cheek as it's not point related, but brings up the point of practicing repeatable movements. 
2.  Swingers - what about them?  You look like you are tracking them great.  Continue practicing swingers and refine your point of aim.
3.  Not panicking - ah, the NOT.  Where are you "panicking?"  Swingers, other instances.  This should be some sort of focus or confidence related goal for a particular situation. 

1.   Ya!  I was joking because I missed the catch on about 5 of the 6 stages when I stared at the sun.

2.  Swingers.... so.  I used to be not confident on swingers at all.  Then I realized I could hit them just fine.  Open Nats, swingers all over and they were fine - kinda slow moving, and pretty open, but still.  Did fine on them and they didn't make me nervous.  For some reason I was thinking I was out of practice and wouldn't be able to hit anything... maybe the no-shoot was scaring me off.  Does that make sense? - If I don't think I can do something, I end up not aiming appropriately, which totally doesn't make sense and I don't know why I do it.  Like I defeat myself before I even try?  Same with pickup shots.  I'm getting much better at calling my shots and taking an immediate pickup, but there are times where I hesitate.... and then just throw lead down range, which ends up wasting my time getting a horrible hit, and I was probably better off not doing a pickup because I probably just made up a delta with another delta.  If I know I need a pickup shot, I need to aim like I should have in the first place.   I will work on aiming and calling my shots and be confident that I can hit anything! 

3.  Panicking.... I am much better at keeping calm, but still have some improvement in this area. lol  At Berry's Steel Open this year, I did much better at staying calm at the last third of the Par Time stages.  Last year I could feel the timer about to go off and would start spraying bullets all over and miss a ton of points.  I only freaked out once, I think - on the last two plates of the death star.  Here it is at 01:15  

1 hour ago, Glock26Toter said:

4.  Not looking at foot or fault line after stepping over it - another NOT.  How about we concentrate on "pick your spot" or "identify anchors" as I call it.  
To expand on the anchor thing.  This is greatly improved by taking your walk through very seriously and obtaining your exact shooting positions during it....... 

Yes! ^^ everything you wrote on walk through and anchors  I have been better-ish on walk throughs, but I don't think I'm paying enough attention to the details.  I find the spot I want in some positions, but not always in ALL the positions, cause I don't think I need to, and those are the positions I end up screwing up or overstepping, or edging into.

1 hour ago, Glock26Toter said:

To expand a tad more... try leaving the video camera on during your final walk through, and then comparing that to your run.  See how close they are.  They should be the same if you are really doing a walk through. 

Ah!  That is a really cool idea.  I think I will try this on Sunday!

Thanks for all your input!  I've been excited about learning more and practicing.... I'm really looking forward to shooting better this year :):) 

1 hour ago, Pistolpete9 said:

Very impressed with the amount of work you are putting into this!  I've watched many of the vids and am impressed with how you calmly deal with malfs which seem to happen to you too regularly.  

I know you've got a ton of time in on the XDm, but it seems to give you more problems than help.  For instance, the FNS longslide has a far superior magwell which would help speed up your reloads and a Shadow may be an improvement too.  I don't think the XDM is a bad gun, but it seems that it isn't giving you enough "upside".

You guys have a wonderful range and what appears to be a very fun group of shooters up there!  All of you should keep the videos coming!

Thanks!  And yes, I've had LOTS of practice with malfs!  Now I can deal with almost anything without it surprising me too much. The thing that surprises me the most is the times when I somehow didn't load my mags to 10, or my Barney mag to 11.  Going to slidelock early confuses me more than anything!  Luckily, that's an easy thing to avoid forever.  Most of my malfs were related to not cleaning my gun and maintaining my springs, or not chamber checking my ammo.  And recently, my press has been giving me heartache - need to fix that.  I've working on keeping up on everything so I can have a smooth match.  All that time and money goes to waste when my gun/ammo isn't functioning.  

But you are right, the gun doesn't fit my hand all that well and the mag release is a butt.  I'm hoping that once I exercise my right hand more, I will have less problems - that hand and thumb have issues from a surgery years ago.  My grip is WAY better now that I discovered Pro-Grip and Dry Hands and the like.  I couldn't live without it.  I am getting a CZ 75 SP-01 - not a Shadow, unfortunately - but it may fit my hand better.  If I could just bring myself to skip some majors, I could save for another gun, maybe a Limited gun :)  but missing out on great matches is hard to bring myself to do!

YES!!!  I love my squaddies! they are the best group of shooters and friends and makes shooting even more of a joy :)   Thanks for the comments!  And hopefully we'll all have some really good shooting (or some really funny mess-ups) for some fun match videos this season :)  

I think you're going to absolutely love the CZ.  I run a TS (poorly) and have been able to go the entire year without a single failure of any kind.  I am a factory ammo guy though (a little more prevalent among my group than it is nationwide I think), so I can offer zero advice there.

Don't leave out the comedy!   I laughed pretty hard when I saw Robot with the paint can on his magnet.

5 minutes ago, Pistolpete9 said:

I think you're going to absolutely love the CZ.  I run a TS (poorly) and have been able to go the entire year without a single failure of any kind.  I am a factory ammo guy though (a little more prevalent among my group than it is nationwide I think), so I can offer zero advice there.

Don't leave out the comedy!   I laughed pretty hard when I saw Robot with the paint can on his magnet.

Haha!  Yes!  I had Andrew's phone and had to videotape that!  So funny.  

On 3/8/2017 at 10:24 AM, Glock26Toter said:

To expand a tad more... try leaving the video camera on during your final walk through, and then comparing that to your run.  See how close they are.  They should be the same if you are really doing a walk through. 

I almost forgot to do it.... but managed to turn it on before one of my runs.  I kinda screwed up the run in the last position because my ejection port was directly below the port window lol  so I cut the part of my racking out the spent casing, and then again when I went to slidelock, because I somehow lost a few rounds in the process.  In the YouTube comments I explain a little about the video.

I think I was overall slow ALL day, so I think I'm going to record my walk-through again next week so I can compare better between the two.  I can't tell if I was not visualizing partials and distance targets well enough in the walk-through.... or I was spending too much time in the live fire.  I kind of had a weak off-hand grip all day and really poor trigger control.  Better sleep this week and shorter, focused dry-fire sessions.

22 minutes ago, hwansikcjswo said:

Do you think your walk-thru time should be the same as actual shooting time?

FYI, I am 100% sure my walk-thru time is actually slower than my shooting time.

I shoot faster than I do my walk-thru.

I think going through a walk-through slo-mo is a good idea so you can focus on the things you need to and commit it to memory better.  I think if it's a proper walk-through it should be no faster than the actual live-fire time?  But wouldn't matter if it was slower?    

My walk-through was faster... so I think it pointed out that I wasn't paying attention to the things I needed to pay attention to.  That I'm rushing through it and just getting into position, going through most of the motions, but not paying attention to how much care I will need to take on targets past 12 yards, or paying attention to what part of the target I'm aiming at on partials.  Maybe?

I think it would be hard to do a walk through faster than you do when shooting it.  You were going pretty quick on sunday ;)

Slower walk through while paying more attention is good (unless you are in front of me, then you need to go quick hahaha)