Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about TGO at nationals

RJH

I heard that TGO had won Nationals before and won every stage, does anyone know if that is true? If it is has anyone else come close and did he ever do it more than once?

Thanks

Pat, thanks, Stoeger did that this year at production nationals too. It would seem that that would be way more likely than winning every stage to me. So winning every stage at nationals may have only been done once, by one person, but all I have is a story, so I am not sure it ever happened. Is there somewhere that the old nationals records can be found?

Pat, thanks, Stoeger did that this year at production nationals too. It would seem that that would be way more likely than winning every stage to me. So winning every stage at nationals may have only been done once, by one person, but all I have is a story, so I am not sure it ever happened. Is there somewhere that the old nationals records can be found?

I believe Blake Miguez won the 2012 Limited nats without a single stage win as well.

• 10 months later...

Winning the Nationals (any) and not winning a stage is not that big a deal, statistically.

Once, just because I was bored at PASA after a match, I toted up the 10th place stage score across the match. The total of the 10th place finishers was so much greater than the actual winning score, that it would have been embarrassing to have placed second to it.

You're more likely to crash and burn, trying to win every stage, than win by staying close enough to each stage winner that you don't get singed.

• 5 months later...

As a total unknown, Robbie won the nationals in 1983 (and I was second) - and if he didn't win every stage he won all but one. No one, especially John Shaw, was ready for the pain Robbie brought to the match (and I know that because John told me, he finished third).

19 minutes ago, benos said:

As a total unknown, Robbie won the nationals in 1983 (and I was second) - and if he didn't win every stage he won all but one. No one, especially John Shaw, was ready for the pain Robbie brought to the match (and I know that because John told me, he finished third).

I would ask which division he won, but this was back in '83...

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2017 at 3:54 PM, benos said:

And with an injured knee went on to win the World Shoot. Great memories.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2017 at 3:54 PM, benos said:

Didn't Plaxco win '82?

And does everyone remember how the Man-on-Man shoot off used to be the really exciting part of a big match?  The big deal was to get into the top 16 in order to participate.  Seems like Jeff Cooper's idea was you shot any match in order to determine if you were good enough to shoot the real match -  the Man-on-Man shoot off.  Robbie used to just totally dominate this event.  The more pressure/attention, the better he did.  Except in like '88 or '89 in Barry Illinois on the long range field.  He got eliminated and was pissed off, snapped off a shot at the 200 yard (or more) plates, missed on elevation and nailed it on his second shot.  .38 Supers were still fairly new, so it may have been '88.  Everyone in the crowd was just awestruck.  LOL