Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensator Fitting Question

wblacksh

Hi. I want to put a different compensator on my CK Arms open gun. I was searching but couldn't determine if it is something I can do myself or not. I am pretty technically inclined, but according to this video, I just don't have the tools to do it.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but my top 2 picks are the one from the video above, and the Brazos Tundercomp. My gun is chambered in 9mm and has a KKM barrel in it.

My current load is 124 MG JHP on top of 8.2gr HS-6. I had to increase to 8.2 because of the popple holes. I was using 8 in my old Trubor, and it seemed to shoot softer and the dot didn't rise as much. I feel that that the stock comp on my new CK Arms open gun could do better at keeping the dot under control more. I went up to 8.6 gr of HS-6, but it didn't get better for me.

I know most things with an open gun are not drop in. I am wondering if it is truly that involved? I am also waiting for a reply from Binary Eng to see if they offer fitting service of their comp to my gun.

While i'm at it, is anyone else running a stock CK Arms open gun (mine is the Thunder model) and using HS-6? If so, what is your load, and how do you feel about the performance with the stock comp?

Thanks,

-Wayne

Have you contacted Matt or Bobby from CK Arms for their powder and bullet recommendations? Matt put a lot of work into designing his comp and I'm sure has "preferred" components for getting the comp to work best.

Good luck

I got my new MG 115gr JHP bullets in this past week and worked up some loads. After testing, I am going to run with 8.4gr of HS-6 with the MG 115 JHP bullet at 1.165. It is much flatter than with the 124s. The dot is now staying in the glass most of the time depending on my grip. 8.2gr was ok for PF threshold, but 8.4 made it just a bit flatter.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will be sticking with the Cheely comp.

Anyone want to buy about 3k of 124gr MG JHP bullets lol? (I will have to count them). I may post them to the classifieds later, or just keep them for my minor loads.

Thanks.

Got to chrono my loads today. I still have some adjustments to make. I learned that a lighter bullet will need a lot more powder than I expected. My gun has 3 holes.

These are the 3 loads I tested today:

8.2gr HS-6, 124gr MG JHP = 175pf

8.2gr HS-6, 115gr MG JHP = 164pf

8.5gr HS-6, 115gr MG JHP = 168pf

It looks like 8.5 is going to be my sweet spot for now with the stock comp. It shoots flat enough for me, but more importantly, the dot is very predictable. I was shooting more double alphas today than I did with the heavier bullets because of my timing and the dot tracking. I just need more practice with this gun and my new load.

Now I am going to see how long I can keep my tinkering self to leave my load and gun alone.

If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough buttons yet, right?? :)