Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tight barrel/receiver fit? Or Loc-Tite? Or doesn't Matter?

nheiny13

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shim-stock/=10unzj5 McMaster carries a wide range of shim stock. They have $20 kit similar to Brownells but with a lot more stock included. Also for the ultimate lightweight 3gun build they have titanium shim stock!

Hahah, I wonder what the weight savings would be on a 4" sq x .001-2 piece of ti vs stainless! I mean you can probably save a few grains! then you can plus the PF on a few rounds and not even notice!

18-8 or 302 stainless?

Those are very close to the same thing...18-8 is a low grade 300 series stainless like 302, it's just sort of a "generic" brand. Basically 18-8 can be any one of multiple 300 series alloys. I think. Anyway, not gonna matter a bit for this application.

I just received the Brownells shim stock today.

From what I can tell from one of the sheets, it is not stainless steel.

It comes from Precision Brand . com and according to their spec sheet it is Low Carbon Steel C1008/C1010. Not being a materials engineer that doesn't mean much to me.

Wished I would have known about the Enco shims before I bought from Brownells, looks like you get more for your money.

I am using the steel shims on a test barrel on a test rig and learning along the way.

Looks like the Enco shims for $20 are not stainless either.

Edited by fedupflyer

It comes from Precision Brand . com and according to their spec sheet it is Low Carbon Steel C1008/C1010. Not being a materials engineer that doesn't mean much to me.

Wished I would have known about the Enco shims before I bought from Brownells, looks like you get more for your money.

I am using the steel shims on a test barrel on a test rig and learning along the way.

oops, just went back, yeah not stainless. I searched for stainless and I guess didn't pay attention to the details. Time to try to cancel....

oops, just went back, yeah not stainless. I searched for stainless and I guess didn't pay attention to the details. Time to try to cancel....

One of the shim methods is to slather all that stuff in loctite also along with the shim stock...if you encapsulate it, nothing can get it there to make it rust. Not that I'd be too worried about putting it in there bare anyway. Not like you're gonna go swimming with it...at least, not very often.

• 1 month later...

If there's not much of a gap to take up, would it be OK to slip a thin piece of material in there instead of wrapping nearly the whole barrel extension, or would being slightly off-center cause issues?

I'm thinking in terms of a full diameter wrap with .001 being too much, but still wanting to take up some room.

I think with a chilled barrel extension with a .001 shim wrapped around it and a hot receiver, they would go together like a mouse on a Cheeto.....and when it cooled it would be nice and tight and pretty darn concentric. I would refrain from only shimming one side.