Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skunks Spraying My Dogs

Well it's happened again. Skunks sprayed my dogs. It's Nala's fourth time in less than three years. She's the one in my avatar. We also have an 10-month-old German Shepherd. It's her first time and hopefully, but no likely, her last time. Score: Skunks 1, Dogs 0, Family -4.

Boy I feel for you. Our German Shepherd got sprayed 6 times in his 8 years. Three of those episodes it was point blank which brings it to a whole knew level of misery. We found the best method to wash off the oily stink is to use plenty of Dawn detergent and store purchased skunk shampoo. For around the eyes my wife's makeup removal wet wipes worked great.

You'd think they would learn after a couple of encounters. Twice our dog did not care after he got sprayed he just grabbed the evil critters and gave them the death shake.

I believe the hydro/baking soda/dawn combo is supposed to break down the skunk spray enzymes and the oils. Seems logical to me but I've never tried it myself.

I have an indoor bully now and he's never seen a skunk and hope I never have to deal.

my dummies get sprayed on a regular basis, especially the Australian, shampoo with baking soda followed by a white vinegar rinse. He dreams about skunks. First try ever got blasted, face in pool, 2nd try and got blasted, face in pool, 3rd try, open mouth, close your eyes and chomp! Runs around the yard throwing the dead skunk up and down.....

born killers

image36963.jpg

Mine have been hit a couple times through the years. The peroxide and baking soda method work great, other than when you do it at 2am and don't rinse the peroxide completely off. I may have bleached my chocolate labs hair. She was a brown and tan lab for a couple months.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hydrogen peroxide/ one quart

Baking soda/ 1/4 cup

Dawn dish soap/ teaspoon

Worked for me

This. Tomato juice is pretty much worthless for skunk smell.

Fortunately my dog was so miserable the time he got sprayed, the next time he smelled a skunk outside he went running the opposite way. Poor bastard took it right in the face the first time.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

Hydrogen peroxide/ one quart

Baking soda/ 1/4 cup

Dawn dish soap/ teaspoon

Worked for me

This. Tomato juice is pretty much worthless for skunk smell.

Fortunately my dog was so miserable the time he got sprayed, the next time he smelled a skunk outside he went running the opposite way. Poor bastard took it right in the face the first time.

I figured this would be the reaction of most dogs but apparently not lol