Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xdm 5.25 springs

CrashDodson

I recently ordered a 14 and 16lb recoil springs from springer (wolf springs) for my XDM 5.25 9mm. I am trying to work up a minor load for the xdm, just right above 125pf but even with the 14 lb spring I can not get the gun to cycle consistently. This is with coated 147g and ramshot comp (running comp in 40 without issues in 2011). I have ordered some titegroup to see if a slightly faster powder will help. My rounds chrono at about 130 PF. Just cant get it to cycle the gun correctly.

The two new springs are about an inch longer than the stock spring with about 10k rounds on it. Scott Springer said this was normal when I asked him about it.

Anyone got a minor load to cycle the 5.25 consistently? What spring are you using?

I use a 14lb recoil spring and 4.0 guns of AutoComp behind a 147 Berry's plated bullet, it makes about 132PF.

Can you clarify what type of cycling issues you are seeing, is the slide not coming back all the way, is the case not ejecting or is the next round not feeding into the barrel ? Or is it something else.

Is the gun new ? Have you changed any of the striker springs etc. ?

I use a 14lb recoil spring and 4.0 guns of AutoComp behind a 147 Berry's plated bullet, it makes about 132PF.

Can you clarify what type of cycling issues you are seeing, is the slide not coming back all the way, is the case not ejecting or is the next round not feeding into the barrel ? Or is it something else.

Is the gun new ? Have you changed any of the striker springs etc. ?

The spring kit came with a striker spring...but I have no idea of how to replace it. The issue I am having is the case not ejecting, getting a stove pipe. Thanks for your response. The gun has at least 5k through it but I have not kept up with it exactly.

We shoot 132-135 with the 14# spring. If you want to push lower power factors and you don't hold the gun strong enough to cycle it, we suggest using a 1911 style guide rod that we make and as low as a 11# recoil spring. This is the setup my wife uses because she doesn't hold the gun as strongly and has much less mass.

My load was chronoing around that pf with the 14lb spring but would stove pipe about once or twice per mag. I dont think my grip is the issue. Do these new springs have to be broken in? Is replacing the striker spring something that needs to be done? I can try bumping up a grain and see if getting closer to 135 is the trick.

Edited by CrashDodson

I ran my xdm for 2 years steel challange and 3gun with a 16# spring with a 124gr bayou rn loaded at 1.160 with 3.2 gr of titegroup that only chrono about 1020 never had a single issue. I am with some of the other comments about your grip. What ever spring you are running from what I understand you should run the striker spring that comes with it. If you need help figuring out how to replace it just do a search on youtube.

Things to check:

Make sure that you are not riding your thumbs on the slide.

Check under the extractor to make sure there is not a carbon build-up, this can cause the case to pop off the extractor too soon and can cause a stove-pipe.

There are some videos online that show how to disassemble the slide (striker etc.)

Thanks for the replies. I have been shooting this gun with great success in IDPA for a few years. I am getting stove pipes while shooting slowly at the range testing this ammo. I grip the shit out of the gun just like on my 2011 limited gun. I have never had one failure in this gun on the stock spring and freedom munitions 147g ammo.

I will check the extractor and I found videos on how to remove the striker but none of them detail the size punch tools they are using. I read were one guy messed up his gun using the wrong size punch trying to remove the striker retaining pin.

What effect would the extra power striker spring have with regards to the slide not coming back far enough/long enough to extract the brass? Would that stiffen my trigger as well? I don't understand or know the inner workings of striker fired pistols. I will gladly buy this spring if it might help I just dont want to be blindly buying parts.

Does the gun with the new spring set-up still run your Freedom Munitions loads? If so, you can eliminate the spring as being an issue and look to your ammo. If not, then continue to address the springs.

A couple years ago I switched ammo and altered my grip at the same time, and started to have stovepipe issues. I really wanted to blame the ammo but it turned out my new grip caused my weak hand thumb to ride the slide which resulted in the failures to eject.

I currently run a 14lb recoil spring, lightened striker spring, and 135 grain Bayous at 133 PF w/o any issues.