Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noble Sport Vectan Powder Review

d_striker

Thanks, that is interesting.

With GM3 out of the same gun type (PM9) I'm getting similar velocities - 3.0gr w/147gr bullet = 128 pf.

I would have expected a more substantial difference considering the difference in their claimed burn rates.

under a leatherhead coated 147gr fp, with s&b primers (which give me the exact same velocity as cci and federal, as closely as I can test), out of a dan wesson pm9 1911 (5" barrel), on a 60 degree day.

2.85 gr prima v = 868 fps = 128 pf with a SD of 6

3.1 gr prima v = 903 fps = 133pf with a SD of 8.

both loads seemed to group sufficiently accurately, within a 2" circle at 10yds shooting freehand. The recoil impulse on the heavier load felt indistinguishable from red dot at the same pf (I chrono'd some of those too and killed a few minutes just trying to group in the 2" circles). I think I'll shoot for around 3.0 grains, make sure that works, chrono it on a cold morning with cold ammo and again on a warmer day, and start using it. with those low SD's, i feel pretty comfortable dropping closer to 130 or 131 pf.

I didn't have time to try anything with the ba 9.5 or a24. that's a project for when the weather is nicer.

I chrono'd twice in cold weather leading up to Area 2 last weekend. I didn't notice any temperature sensitivity but it will be interesting to see more data points. Both times I chrono'd it was around 40F and PF came in at 135.

3.2gr under a 147gr Xtreme plated bullet made 135.3 PF at the A2 chrono out of a 4.6" Shadow barrel. Temp was about 85F at time of chrono. This is the same load I was using last year but a new barrel with a tighter bore is yielding 2 extra PF. With a little less than a year of use in about 25k rounds, I'm finding this powder to be VERY consistent.

Let us know how clean your load is at 128-130PF.

Edited by d_striker

• 1 month later...

I bought 8lb of Prima V and now I bought another 30lbs after realizing the greatness of the powder :)

With my Tanfo stock 2, I got 142 pf with 124gr 4.0gr OAL 1.125. The recoil feels about the same with my 133pf 124gr N320 4.3gr ammo.

It is amazing low recoil, high accuracy, clean and consistent powder.

I sold all my titegroup and N320 to buy more. I hope PV doesnt stop importing them.

Having heard good things about Prima V using it for 9mm (9x19) I bought 5 1.1 lb. bottles from Grafs last week when they had free shipping just to try it. I first tried 3.4 grs of Prima V using 135 gr. Bayou LRN at 1.132" OAL . Across the chrono I got 980 fps with 9 ES with my Trojan 5" with decent grouping at 20 yds . With a 4" 1911 that I use in CCP division I got 964 fps with a ES of 19 (same load) and was really surprised with a nice 1 1/2" group at 20 yds off of a sandbag . I may try 3.5 grs just to see but I think I nailed it the first time with 3.4 grs for both pistols. Hopefully will get to try it in a local match this weekend.

Having heard good things about Prima V using it for 9mm (9x19) I bought 5 1.1 lb. bottles from Grafs last week when they had free shipping just to try it. I first tried 3.4 grs of Prima V using 135 gr. Bayou LRN at 1.132" OAL . Across the chrono I got 980 fps with 9 ES with my Trojan 5" with decent grouping at 20 yds . With a 4" 1911 that I use in CCP division I got 964 fps with a ES of 19 (same load) and was really surprised with a nice 1 1/2" group at 20 yds off of a sandbag . I may try 3.5 grs just to see but I think I nailed it the first time with 3.4 grs for both pistols. Hopefully will get to try it in a local match this weekend.

Give us some feedback after your match

Give us some feedback after your match

I ended up not shooting the 3.4 gr. Prima V 135 gr. Bayou LRN load at our local match but did end up shooting a 124 gr. Bayou LRN using 3.9 grs Prima V

with a 1.14" OAL load. I used my 5" Trojan 9mm for the match and the load was accurate and clean burning. Not sure of my exact PF with this load using the Trojan

however I had chrono'ed it using a Glock 19 and was a 130 PF . So, far I'm very pleased with Prima V for 9mm except for having to make sure the powder is settled in the powder measure

before I start loading. I also noticed leaving the powder in the measure overnight more settling occurs and I have to adjust the micrometer adjustment . Once the powder settles and test weighing about every 10th

round ( I don't normally check powder charges that often) the charge only varied .05 gn per charge loading 100 pcs of ammo.

• 5 months later...
On 12/28/2015 at 7:25 PM, d_striker said:

At first, I wasn't going to say anything about Prima V. I truly think it's one of the best 9mm minor powders I've ever used and I didn't want everyone to make a run on it. Now I'm thinking that if more people don't start ordering these powders, retailers aren't going to keep them stocked.

For reference, I've tried Clays, Universal Clays, e3, n320, WST, Titegroup, Bullseye, W231, and 700x for 9mm minor.

I happened upon a large quantity of Bullseye when I started reloading and haven't used anything else. But it's become nearly impossible to find. What differences do you notice between it, Prima V, and the other Vector powers you've tried loading 9mm minor? WST and W231 were others I'm considering. I tried some rounds loaded with Titegroup—that stuff seems hot and smoky with coated bullets.

1 hour ago, Andreas said:

I happened upon a large quantity of Bullseye when I started reloading and haven't used anything else. But it's become nearly impossible to find. What differences do you notice between it, Prima V, and the other Vector powers you've tried loading 9mm minor? WST and W231 were others I'm considering. I tried some rounds loaded with Titegroup—that stuff seems hot and smoky with coated bullets.

Bullseye was the first powder I used when I started reloading 10 years ago.  I remember it being a good powder and it's what made me like fast burning powders.  I never used it with 147's though.  I also recall it being pretty dirty.

I'd say Prima V is very similar to Titegroup in feel and burn rate.  Possibly a hair faster as I saw the same velocity using .1gr less of Prima V in 147 plated.  It's definitely a lot cleaner than Titegroup.  

I moved on to Prima SV which is slightly faster than Prima V.  Although the feel of Prima V and SV or very close, I like the SV a little more.  Velocity SD's are a bit lower with Prima V though.  I have not done any real accuracy testing with SV yet but Prima V was very accurate.

Edited by d_striker
ETA

10 hours ago, d_striker said:

I moved on to Prima SV which is slightly faster than Prima V.  Although the feel of Prima V and SV or very close, I like the SV a little more.

Thanks for the comparisons to Bullseye & Titegroup. You're liking the recoil impulse of the slightly faster SV over the V?

• 3 years later...
On 11/22/2019 at 8:34 PM, f2benny said:

It seems that prima v is discontinued. Is there a comparable new powder in the vectran line?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve used 9.5 for 9mm and like it a lot. 

Though, I’ve ruined two different powder bar assemblies because the balls of powder get in between the two pieces that slide back and forth and gouge the metal. Dillion sent me replacements and adding a pice of tape in between tightens your the gap and prevents it from happening.