Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics sub forum

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well apparently this is happening. Does anyone know what the rule set is going to be?

I know there has been some talk of it but this is the first I have heard of it, source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JMike

I'll have the provisional division specifics posted tomorrow at www.uspsa.org.

I've been busy working on Public Announcements among other things today.

Thanks for your patience!

Phil

While I applaud the implementation of Carry Optics, 33 oz. maximum weight is a very odd thing.

33 oz. rule is pretty suspect. Carry Optics? So carry is limited to a 29 oz. gun? I've always carried a 43 oz. gun if weighted with empty mag. I understand where they are going, but don't agree. I like steel guns, I carry steel guns. IF I was going to shoot a polymer gun, the one I would shoot weighs 31 oz. according to the USPSA Production gun list. No way my Doctor Sight and Springer mount would make weight. Just go with the production gun list and be done with it. Seems too easy.

Edited by zhunter

Maybe when you mill the slide you can get it to make weight.

I think they said the rules were to be a little strict because it will be easier to loosen them later as opposed to trying to go the other way.

Edited by Racinready300ex

Zhunter,

where are you seeing a 33oz. weight limit? Or any rules for this division?

The formal ruleset has not been published yet, see Phil's post above (should have it by the end of the week). Bruce published something on the USPSA Forum but there is no formal statement as of yet. The ruleset is open to change, which is why it is provisional as this allows the BOD to 'tweak' the rules depending on member and industry feedback. Nothing is set in stone.

In *broad* terms, Carry Optics will start out being any Production-legal gun with a slide-mounted optic, with a couple of guardrails

-- max weight of 33oz, including optic and empty mag

-- no box, but a max mag-length

-- no more than 4 oz over the weight shown on the Production gun list

-- all other Production-division rules (allowed modifications, etc) still apply

I would make a couple of recommendations

1) wait until the provisional rules are published before making any decisions

2) be *sure* that any modifications you make to a production-legal gun don't make it illegal if you want to go back to Production

3) tell us what you think. We're starting small, gathering data, and will be making decisions (changes, whatever) as we learn.

Edited by BritinUSA

How about we let DNROI publish the provisional rules for CO and then have a rules discussion? It is not like this weekend there are going to be 100K shooters at local matches fighting to be the first CO GM.

Well said

I'm very happy with the boards decision

No, it not a rush at all.

My wife and I are both going to shoot CO, we both have Shadows already set up and ready to go. She has shot Open Minor since she joined USPSA earlier this year in anticipation. I shot some as well.

A weight limit is very odd to me beyond adding a reasonable amount for mount and eight to the already listed weights of the Production list.

How about we let DNROI publish the provisional rules for CO and then have a rules discussion? It is not like this weekend there are going to be 100K shooters at local matches fighting to be the first CO GM.

Rules discussion? Why? The provisional rules will be what they will be. Shoot the division, or do not shoot the division. It will be looked at come January, and not before, from what I am hearing.

Carry Optics should be open to any gun on the NROI Production Gun List, a wight limit of 33oz makes it a Polymer gun division only. Looks like Glock, S&W M&P & XD are the chosen winners.

Tanfoglio and CZ also market Production guns that meet the weight limit, as does FNH and Sig, plus a whole bunch of others.

I'd like to see a little more flexibility on allowed modifications than just a straight Production Optics division. What about folks with the PORTED M&P CORE... find a way for them to drop in a non-ported barrel and play without having to buy a whole new gun. The same for guns that have had the slides gunsmith machined for a slide-mounted optic. Make provision for machining on the slide (e.g. permit some modest weight reduction vs. unmodified factory slide) and other low-cost modifications. At this stage, making this division as inclusive as possible gives it the best chance of attaining critical mass. The last thing we need is ANOTHER division where folks get busted into Open because they put a speck of grip tape in the wrong place... as an RO, I am really sick of having to do that.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I shoot my production-class CZ SP01 Shadow with red dot in Open Minor today, that'd be OK for the new division EXCEPT for the 33oz weight :-(

So sad allowed guns is a subset of production list rather than the full list.

Carry Optics should be open to any gun on the NROI Production Gun List, a wight limit of 33oz makes it a Polymer gun division only. Looks like Glock, S&W M&P & XD are the chosen winners.

Will the CZ guys switch to the polymer P09? Will there be a run on the aluminum CZ P01 (27 oz) and will the discontinued polymer CZ Phantom (29 oz) be the new Unicorn? Edited by Doug*

Can someone help me here? Does the rule mean Glock 34/35 MOS models would be legal in the CO division?

The guns would have to be on the Production Gun List and be under the weight limit to qualify.

I would expect that the MOS Glocks would be there soon, as they are essentially the same guns as their non-MOS counterparts I would not see any reason why they could not be added as a variant of the existing models. I've sent Troy an email and will post the response as/when I receive it.

Could the MOS be construed as having a lightened slide as the gun comes with iron sights and the milling is for the red dot? Would put it into CO, but not Production.

The MOS has a removable plate for the scope, I suspect that this plate would keep the weight similar to MOS and non-MOS Glocks if the scope was not installed.