Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics sub forum

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://uspsa.org/doc...al Division.pdf

Well, that didn't work, try this one. http://uspsa.org/uspsa-announcements-details.php?Appendix-D7-Carry-Optics---Provisional-Released-215

It's in the announcement section, you have to go to "older" announcements because this one doesn't display on the first page.

Edited by Bkreutz

I just removed to the Admin forum some posts that ventured into allusions of slander.

Repeat instances will be awarded a 30 day time-out.

Pretty creative interpretation of slander, but whatever.

Back on topic

first CO match for me yesterday. Haven't made a real CO Gun yet, just put a Deltapoint on a dovetail mount on an MP9 I have around.

Observations: I would like a milled in/lower dot mount.

I need more dryfire, sometimes delay in finding the dot. Especially in SHO,WHO Classifier ;)

Accuracy is easy with the dot. 81 A, 2 B, 7 C, 0 D, 0 M, 0 NS.

As others have mentioned not really any advantage at close open targets or close open Classifier.

fun shooting with a dot.

Eric

Edited by eric4069

I think the Carry Optics is a great idea. I just picked up a S&W M&P Pro CORE, can't wait to get it going. I'm sure all the manufacturers will have at least one gun available for the new division. I think this keeps the sport up to date and moving forward.

I have a couple of rules questions.

It appears from reading the forums, an M&P Ported 9MM would not be legal in Carry Optics due to the ports. Switching to a non-ported barrel wouldn't help because the Ported model is not on the approved list. Is this correct?

My stock CZ P-01 Decocker could be fitted with an RDS and be allowed. The slide on this pistol has a non-factory Robar finish. It looks like it is legal as it doesn't change the texture of the slide.

If I have an action job done on the P-01 but no change to the hammer and trigger, I believe I am also fine. I don't believe I can put in a CGW hammer or reach reduction trigger as these are either custom parts or external mods.

What about a SS guide rod? Is that a legal mod? It looks like it is from the rules.

Thanks for any assistance!

Edited by WaltonFeep

The MOS Glock models have been added to the production approved list. If you are wanting to shoot a ported model of a s&w, I suggest you email s&w and get them to submit the paperwork for it to be approved. That's what I did to get the MOS approved.

I just removed to the Admin forum some posts that ventured into allusions of slander.

Repeat instances will be awarded a 30 day time-out.

Pretty creative interpretation of slander, but whatever.

Back on topic

Well, technically it is libel if written. Back on topic...

Sent from the range

It appears from reading the forums, an M&P Ported 9MM would not be legal in Carry Optics due to the ports. Switching to a non-ported barrel wouldn't help because the Ported model is not on the approved list. Is this correct?

My stock CZ P-01 Decocker could be fitted with an RDS and be allowed. The slide on this pistol has a non-factory Robar finish. It looks like it is legal as it doesn't change the texture of the slide.

If I have an action job done on the P-01 but no change to the hammer and trigger, I believe I am also fine. I don't believe I can put in a CGW hammer or reach reduction trigger as these are either custom parts or external mods.

What about a SS guide rod? Is that a legal mod? It looks like it is from the rules.

r

The Performance Cetnter CORE would be legal with a non ported barrel. I heard Smith is considering offering a two barrel option. When the approval paper work gets done it should be OK.

Thanks Gary. I am banking on the Ported being approved. I already made the purchase. I'll shoot Steel and Open until it is approved for Carry Optics with the barrel swap. I am getting my P-01 ready for Carry Optics now but the BUIS on the Ported M&P makes it easier to find the dot in a hurry.

Edited by WaltonFeep

One thing I am concerned about is placing the magazine capacity at 15 or 16 is being able to enforce such a rule. 10 rounds is one thing but 15-16 is something else.

That is why I favor factory magazine capacity. Let the free market decide what is the better platform.

r

The Performance Cetnter CORE would be legal with a non ported barrel. I heard Smith is considering offering a two barrel option. When the approval paper work gets done it should be OK.

I emailed my DOD programs contact the DNROI the required papers last week as of 8/28/15 the internal process @ S&W has been started for the Performance Center Ported guns, but:

"Things move slowly at S&W so don’t ask me when"

I had suggested the addition of the non ported Match barrel as a nice all around competition package ( 3 Gun Open , 3gun Stealth, CO, Production, ect..) the day after CO was approved.

Edited by 2011BLDR

Welcome aboard; Dry-firing will help with the dot-acquisition, only took me about an hour to find the sweet spot. The dot really comes into its own with partial targets and longer range stuff, its especially fun with plates.

It took me a little bit longer, but not much. The RMR really highlighted the difference between the 1911/2011 grip angle and the Glock grip angle and how it affects where your gun ends up pointing when drawing. Once I slowed down and established where everything needed to be, it came right around.

M&P core PC with porting but replacing the barrel with a non ported version is legal or not? I see people saying it is and it isn't.

I believe as it stands now it is NOT legal. But I think it will be eventually. I suppose you could use it at local level matches and no one would care.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Cool. I really wanted one of those. I wish I could get a 40 model and use it in limited and then use a 9mm conversion barrel to use it in carry optics. I know that wouldn't be legal.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

NRA America's 1st Freedom covers USPSA's Carry Optics: CLICK

Would be nice If they had a little more about the new rules. Now we will be getting people showing up with over weight guns wanting to play get shoved into Open Minor. That sounds real good for the "Growth" of the sport.

What happens when someone shows up with their (illegal/non-conforming) Carry Optics gun? Do we allow them to compete in Carry Optics without proper equipment or do we bump them to open minor?

On a plus side, they got the fact that you can only load 10 per magazine but whoops how many people have 4 or more mag pouches on their carry rigs? I remember that the weight limit had something to do with what people actually carried. How many people carry 5 Magazines with their carry rigs?

Isn't it great that this crap gets put out their without even a link to the actual rules. How about some more direction towards where to find out about getting started shooting in these fun GAMES. This is not tactical optics, it isn't carry optics. It is a fun game where we shoot real guns with real bullets but no one is going to carry all the crap we have on at a match.

Another Ball dropped by HQ.

Edited by clawson2011

I finally got the chance to shoot a slide mounted optics gun (RMRed Glock) for the first time last weekend and really liked it. Will definitely be picking one up soon. Just trying to decide whether to get the G34 MOS or a regular G17 and have the slide milled. I wish they would allow conversion barrels, then I'd get a .40 and shoot 9mm for Carry Optics.

One thing I am concerned about is placing the magazine capacity at 15 or 16 is being able to enforce such a rule. 10 rounds is one thing but 15-16 is something else.

That is why I favor factory magazine capacity. Let the free market decide what is the better platform.

So you think ROs are capable of counting to 10, but not 15 :o;)

I wish it were a 15 round limit. I certainly understand why they chose 10, just a personal preference...