Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jm pro vs m3k

Cody_2130

Been looking at both guns as a decent shotgun is next up on my purchase list, I have heard great things about both guns and honestly I am leaning towards the Jm pro,but I have heard a couple people complaining about them being less than reliable. Thanks for any advice!

I think less than reliable is an understatement. It is possible to get a Mossberg running good, but it takes some work and considerable maintenance/cleaning. I see a lot of JM Pro's at matches, and very rarely do I see one make it through a match with no issues. Some of that is undoubtedly people who don't maintain them properly, but your margin of reliability is generally greater with the Stoeger. I shoot a Benelli, and if money is no object it is the way to go for sure. If on a budget then the Stoeger gets my vote, especially if you send it to MOA for some work. You can have a killer 3 gun shotgun for under a grand.

There were 3 JM Pro's in my squad at the Ft Benning match and they all ran without any issues. Old news. The Stoeger vent rib is blank-flat, glares a lot. I wouldn't shoot one if you paid me-well maybe-but I'd stick a Stoeger sticker on my Benelli. If you're left handed -no contest-JM Pro. Try them both. Make your own choice. If you send a Stoeger to MOA, you are then negating the cheap cost of buying a Stoeger in the first place. Buy a Benelli and do your own work. It's gunsmithing, not rocket science.

There were 3 JM Pro's in my squad at the Ft Benning match and they all ran without any issues. Old news. The Stoeger vent rib is blank-flat, glares a lot. I wouldn't shoot one if you paid me-well maybe-but I'd stick a Stoeger sticker on my Benelli. If you're left handed -no contest-JM Pro. Try them both. Make your own choice. If you send a Stoeger to MOA, you are then negating the cheap cost of buying a Stoeger in the first place. Buy a Benelli and do your own work. It's gunsmithing, not rocket science.

Even if you send a Stoeger to MOA and have the full Monty done it's less than the purchase price of a Benelli.

And why do you recommend the JM for lefties?

Here is what I have seen. And first off let me state, I am NOT a sponsored shooter. I bought my Stoeger directly from MOA. It arrived with all the work done for under $1000. A Benelli sent to C-Rum will set you back between $1600 and $1900 depending upon your initial cost and what you want done.

Now, is a Benelli worth the $$? Frankly I don't know. I have a number of friends with them and it NOT the gun that beats me or them, it is how well we load, aim and plan a stage. I have seen the Benellis chug and I have had 4 instances with my M3k which I believe were entirely my fault. The M3k is accurate, it cycles 2-3/4 dram 1-1/8 ounce loads. I have had 2 issues with very low power slugs and two issues where I double fed as I was not used to teh way the gun works having come off 15+ years with an 11-87.

Will the M3k outlast a Benelli? I can't say. I can say that I can buy and have 2 M3k's for about the price of one Benelli or I can buy a crap load of ammo for practice which is where my matches go wrong, skill set needs improvement, not the tool set.

As for the JM Mossberg, I have seen more than a couple with issues at matches, but I've also seen people jam a Glock! So it is entirely possible that there was shooter fault, not gun fault.

If you get the chance to, take advantage and play with both. Not one or two shots, but a couple boxes, load it, shoot it fast, tray the fit.

Now, I will tell you where the M3k fails. It does not have a million dollar finish. I've decided that if needed, I'd just spray paint the thing if the finish really started to bother me. If you hold this gun next to your Benelli it does not have the same brilliant smoothness. So? I throw this gun into barrels and drop it on the dirt, crawl with it and essentially treat it pretty darn poorly. A scratch on the gun really doesn't enter into my mind with respect to a 3-gun gun.

My JM Pro runs flawlessly after I followed a guy's post with pics that details going thru the gun out of the box to prevent anything missed at the factory from causing problems. That, combined with some parts from Oregon 3Gun and dry Teflon spray lube for the piston (NEVER WET LUBE PISTON OR MAG TUBE). If you wet lube the gas or mag tube spacer, it will work fine with buck or slugs, but... With light loads those parts will have trouble overcoming the liquid resistance of the lube due to tight tolerances. Like picking up a cold condensates glass off of a glass table. Overall I'm at about $800 total (including gun) for the things I've done to the gun, but it eats everything, shoots FAST, & never malfunctions.

Edited by Scrmblr

I like the fact that the jm pro come with the mag extention already done, it also looks a bit nicer then the m3k. My big worry is that the jm pro would end up being unreliable, I don't mind doing up keep on my gear to keep it running right but if it won't make it through a full day at the range then there have to be better options. Although if all it takes to run all day with no issues is some dry lube then that would be do able

The simple fact there are so many threads on the JM not running should tell you something. One thing I have learned the hard way in this sport is buy once cry once is absolutely true. Benelli's just run. Have a few friends that are shooting the Stoeger (including Stoeger sponsored shooters) and haven't seen one take a dump yet. If money isn't an issue or you want bombproof reliability, get a Benelli. Have one friend whose Benelli finally had an issue and it turned out he hadn't cleaned the bolt in 3 years (about 5k rounds). That's reliable.

The simple fact there are so many threads on the JM not running should tell you something. One thing I have learned the hard way in this sport is buy once cry once is absolutely true. Benelli's just run. Have a few friends that are shooting the Stoeger (including Stoeger sponsored shooters) and haven't seen one take a dump yet. If money isn't an issue or you want bombproof reliability, get a Benelli. Have one friend whose Benelli finally had an issue and it turned out he hadn't cleaned the bolt in 3 years (about 5k rounds). That's reliable.

I am full agreement! If you have the budget M2 but I really do love my M3000.

I haven't seen many threads in the past year about the JM Pro not running.

:ph34r:

Just saying.

I think that's because a lot of people have stopped using them. I'm not even being sarcastic, I've talked to several people in the past year who have dumped them.

Pretty much this. With the advent of the Vinci, Browning A5, Beretta 1301 and the Stoger I see a lot less of the Mossbergs, and SLPs for that matter.

My JM Pro has been a little finicky, but after adding a decent maintenance routine, the OR3Gun parts, and sticking with the bulk pack Federal it has been 100%.

When the new bug gun does hit, I'll go with the Beretta 1301. I shot clays for years with 390s and 391s. There's a reason clay shooters use Beretta semi-autos, they flat out run.

I don't own a Mossberg, but like other I've seen them have issues. I do own a MOA built M3000, and for this entire 2015 I have had exactly zero failures which weren't my own brain farts. I'm by no means some top dog or even remotely good at shooting shotgun, but it has been the least frustrating firearm I've ever owned. I haven't kept exact count, but I would say I've ran maybe 7-10 cases of ammo through it this year which I know it isn't a lot, performed minimal maintenance that it probably didn't need it just runs.

For me it would be a no brainer, MOA built M3000 would be the answer. It was less then $1000 after transfer fees and all that jazz. Maybe it won't outlast an M2, but right now it seems to have outperformed any JM Pro I've seen.

Vlad, You actually maintain your M3K? Seriously, I have run probably as many cases through mine this year as Vlad and I have done so far zero. Shoot it, put it away, take it out next time. I may actually detail it over the winter when I arguably might have a spare day.

To throw something else into the mix - I bought a CZ-712U back when that was the budget semi-auto du jour. The 930 JM had been out for a bit, but was still having teething troubles, which it apparently hasn't outgrown yet. The M3000, much less the M3K, wasn't on the scene yet.

My 712U has run flawlessly for me, as long as I keep it (very) well lubed. (Girls in bikinis wrestling in baby oil? They're dry compared to how my -712U likes it.) It has run everything I've fed it, mostly Rio target loads and Fiochi slugs, but it ran fine with Wally World Federal bulk as well. The only times I've had any issues was when I cleaned it and didn't oil it up enough after. That tends to result in failures to fully eject, solved by application of more lube.

The biggest downside to the 712 is the lack of 3-gun type accessory parts for it. It uses Benelli mag tubes, but finding an oversize charging handle took forever, and only happened because someone else with a 712, who happened to be a machinist, decided to make his own and then some.

If I was to do it again with a 712, I'd get one of their 26" barrelled models, simply so I could do a 12 round tube without it sticking like 18" past the barrel.