Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tokyo Marui Hi-Capa 5.1: GTG or are there Beneficial Upgrades?

GregSmith

Looking to start training at home more and wanted to try airsoft. I'm a complete airsoft noob and was looking at the 5.1. I know this is a good pistol, but is there anything I'd want to do to it for pistol training that is good for pistol training? Upgraded hopup, barrel etc.?

I see there are a few variations of the 5.1. Hi-kick hi-grouping, gold match and some "custom" versions...

Anyone have a quick 411 for the new airsoft guy?

Stick with the "hi-kick" version. It'll do you just fine. The stock hopup is the best there is, so no need to mess with it. If you want something to better mimic proper weight, you might consider an aluminum slide upgrade. Guarder makes some great aftermarket slide upgrades for the HiCapa. if you do that, you might need/want to upgrade the recoil spring also. Not really needed, but it makes cycling a bit faster/harder.

slide -> http://www.evike.com/products/30480/

spring -> http://www.evike.com/products/44380/

I will probably be adding a magwell flare to mine to match what I'm used to on my real one, but other than that, mine is bone-stock. I've had one in the past that I went full-bore and did the slide, springs, nozzle, and mag valves and it hit HARD! When I got out of the milsim airsoft hobby, I sold it. Silly me.

I never found a tightbore barrel necessary in a pistol. Your typical barrel is 6.08. Going to a 6.03 or 6.01 will only give you a marginal increase in muzzle velocity. Not worth the cost IMHO.

For the record, the only reason I upgraded my previous version is because I was heavy into milsim airsoft, and I beat the crap out of my equipment. I wasn't convinced the plastic slide would hold up under the abuse. The GBB I have now is bone-stock and works just fine for my 3-gun training needs.

• 1 year later...

TM internals are one of the best stock parts so upgrading is not needed. I converted mine into an open pistol so I had to change out a lot of external parts for looks only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Sorry to revive and old thread, but would prefer to keep it in a TM Hi Capa thread. Do any of you know what the grip profile on the TM Hi Capas are? Will they fit in a STI insert for DAA holsters?