Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RESURGENCE TACTICAL 3-GUN 2016

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone who went won.  Everyone who did not lost.

I honestly have never cared less about the match winner and focused on my own personal performance.  I now have a few new drills to practice over the winner...not for the match performance, but because the stages pointed out some flaws in my technique and fundamentals.

I shot no video either.  Video can NOT do this match justice.  

Edited by MarkCO

12 minutes ago, MarkCO said:

Everyone who went won.  Everyone who did not lost.

I honestly have never cared less about the match winner and focused on my own personal performance.  I now have a few new drills to practice over the winner...not for the match performance, but because the stages pointed out some flaws in my technique and fundamentals.

I shot no video either.  Video can NOT do this match justice.  

Care to elaborate on the drills?  

24 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Care to elaborate on the drills?  

I am going to modify the bump drill, 3 shots per position:

300 yards on IDPA paper with rifle, 100 yards on IDPA paper with slugs, 35 yards on IDPA paper with pistol.  Goal is all 0s probably 100 seconds Par.

PS.  Practice over the winter, not "winner".

57 minutes ago, MarkCO said:

I am going to modify the bump drill, 3 shots per position:

300 yards on IDPA paper with rifle, 100 yards on IDPA paper with slugs, 35 yards on IDPA paper with pistol.  Goal is all 0s probably 100 seconds Par.

PS.  Practice over the winter, not "winner".

Thanks!  They sound good.  

All:

Results will be posted soon, we all just got back and are playing catch up with familes and work.

Special thanks to all the RO's... THE Miller's, we birthed this match on the way back from SHOT 2015, the Johnson's, who were with us at RM3G's growth spirt, Chris Van Derwalt, best sleepiest medic EVER, but spot on when needed, Walt Garfield, old school and long time CD competitor, Jason Macgregor, best primper in the morning and LE/MIL supporter, The Hawkins' best dressed PERIOD, Collin Fossen, 3rd in the CoC and his ambition and motivation got Eric and I through some dark times, Alan Samuel, letting us use his toys, but always making it look cooler when he did it, Scott T., best ferel dog and cat exterminator on the planet and story teller

The above, are considered to be the best parts of this match hands down, I could not have done it without them.

Jimmy

CD

Resurgence 2016 was one of the most enjoyable matches I've shot in a long time.  I went into it not knowing what to expect, aside from being humbled.  We all met at the range Wednesday afternoon; we checked in and got a stapled match brief that contained basic stage instructions and a rough drawing of each stage.  Jimmy and his team then gave us a taste of old-school SOF Match Brief where each RO briefed his own stages.  Each stage brief was followed by a short Q&A period where we all learned that there IS such a thing as a "Stupid Question" - refreshing in this era of safe-spaces and trigger words.  

The stages were a mix of Semi-Surprise stages and Standards stages.  Most of the semi-surprise stages involved moving over uneven ground, locating targets on the fly, and engaging them.  I got a huge shot of adrenaline on all these stages since we just waded into them without knowing where the targets were located or what sort of problems you'd have to solve in-stride.      

Honestly, I didn't think I'd like the Standards stages but ended up really enjoying them since they were very good tests of skill with both rifle and pistol and clearly identified areas that need work.  Really liked the time and distance pressure in the pistol standards and the rifle standards exposed flaws in both accuracy and speed.    

Aside from one stage, we only used one gun on all other stages - which made shooter prep and clearing guns after the run quick and efficient.  This, coupled with no on-site briefs made for some very quick stages and my squad was done shooting most afternoons well before 1500.  Round counts were relatively low (by design) and in keeping with the spirit of SOF 3-Gun; no 40 round shotgun hoser stages and that was pretty cool.  Penalties for missed shots were severe and several stages had limited round count for each target - get your hits!!  

Thanks to Curtis B, Mike G, and Jon C. for inviting me to join them in the Team Shoot.  We did OK and ended up winning against some very tough competition.  Nothing like going last after seeing some exceptionally talented teams lay down solid runs and that awesome feeling when it all works out and your team just flat-out executes!  Strong shooting Gents and I'm honored to be a part of the team!

Big thanks to Jimmy, Zac, Kurt, Eric, JJ, Denise, Scott, Alan, and the rest of the staff who put on a fantastic match!  Special thanks to Title Sponsor John Paul who gave birth to Resurgence, was exceptionally generous with prize table cash and merchandise, and provided an outstanding place for us all to run and gun - now that I've finally visited Blue Steel Ranch I'm looking for another reason to go back soon!!

Final thanks to my great sponsors whose ongoing friendship and support allows me to focus on shooting without having to worry about my gear: JP Enterprises, Vortex Optics, and Carbon Arms.  Truly shooters taking care of shooters!    

See everyone next year at Resurgence 2017!!                         

OK, here is my video.

I decided to post only my "first person" GoPro footage because it is nice quality and it really conveys the experience. Where appropriate I have included the RO instructions in the hope that it makes more sense of the stage for the viewer. I also elected to give you the full Roberts Ridge experience; lying tensed-up for 15 minutes, just waiting to make a split-second 250-300 yard shot on demand, is exhausting... I can't imagine how snipers do it for hours at a time.

14 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

the best stage I have shot in a long time (maybe ever) - Roberts Ridge:

That stage is so deceptively simple sounding.  Three 12" gongs at about 300 yards plus another at 100 ish?  No sweat right?

Oh wait, you have to engage a long and short target on command, from a crappy position, in seven seconds, and by the way only one shot each.  Humbling is the best way I can describe it, especially when shooting irons.

Edited by Deathray
I no english good

1 minute ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Sure :D

Thanks,, great Vid also! lets everyone know,,,, what it was like!!

the ridge was my best stage,,, between sweat running in my eyes and some bug flying in my glasses of my shooting eye,, it was high,, personal drama,, but a great challenge too.

Some observations:

....and perhaps we can ponder whether some of these fall under (to use the current nonsensical jargon):
Modern 3 Gun fail
Dinosaur / SOF 3 Gun fail
A move in 3 Gun away from the martial roots (and "fail" or not)

In no particular order:

THE VERY FIRST RADIO TRAFFIC OF THE MATCH was "a shooter's double belt pistol rig came off while running between positions. What do we do?" (luckily, it was a shotgun stage, but REALLY?!?!?! At RESURGENCE?!?!?!?!)

Observing pistol standards which required a transition from an empty rifle aimed in to pistol for every string, I couldn't help but notice the trepidation, safe-area practice and adrenaline dumps. Are we just used to modern 3 gun stages for 3 guns? You know: shoot shotgun, abandon, shoot pistol, abandon, shoot rifle.... (key word: abandon)

10+ 4-man teams ran the "Mogadishu Mile": 120 yds +/- together shooting targets, huffing, puffing AND MAINTAINING EXCELLENT FIREARMS SAFETY.

All competitors HOT REHOLSTERED on a stage and I did not hear about any issues.

My shotgun stage was a stroll downhill 80 yards searching for 12 hidden targets after shooting slugs at 4 pepper poppers @ 100 yards. At the briefing, mention was made of the cheiftain's daughter who was the object of the hunt. Competitors exibited the perfect bell curve in ability to search for unknown targets, from not-so-much to full-on hunt mode. Only ONE competitor ( a seasoned LE professional) admonished the daughter to "RUN AWAY" upon finding her; this in the middle of a fight with Boko Haram bad guys and it did not slow him and appeared to be entirely subliminal based on LE training.
Fight/Train/Compete the way you Fight/Train/Compete?!?!?

The lack of stage walk-throughs, coupled with the lack of stage briefings AT THE STAGE wreaked havoc on some; the detailed reading of the stage briefs and questions and written stage briefs the night before the match beginning seemed forgotten by some. IS MODERN 3 GUN ALL ABOUT THE ADD??? THE HALF DAY FORMAT (Not too long, now..)??? (or is this just part of a larger societal phenomenon???)

Discuss.....

ericm

All I'm going to say is this: that was one of the best 3 gun events that I've ever attended.  It was better than SOF and rivaled North American Tactical, Ft. Benning, and the BEST of the Blue Ridge and SMM3G matches

15 hours ago, ericm said:

Some observations:

....and perhaps we can ponder whether some of these fall under (to use the current nonsensical jargon):
Modern 3 Gun fail
Dinosaur / SOF 3 Gun fail
A move in 3 Gun away from the martial roots (and "fail" or not)

In no particular order:

THE VERY FIRST RADIO TRAFFIC OF THE MATCH was "a shooter's double belt pistol rig came off while running between positions. What do we do?" (luckily, it was a shotgun stage, but REALLY?!?!?! At RESURGENCE?!?!?!?!)

Observing pistol standards which required a transition from an empty rifle aimed in to pistol for every string, I couldn't help but notice the trepidation, safe-area practice and adrenaline dumps. Are we just used to modern 3 gun stages for 3 guns? You know: shoot shotgun, abandon, shoot pistol, abandon, shoot rifle.... (key word: abandon)

10+ 4-man teams ran the "Mogadishu Mile": 120 yds +/- together shooting targets, huffing, puffing AND MAINTAINING EXCELLENT FIREARMS SAFETY.

All competitors HOT REHOLSTERED on a stage and I did not hear about any issues.

My shotgun stage was a stroll downhill 80 yards searching for 12 hidden targets after shooting slugs at 4 pepper poppers @ 100 yards. At the briefing, mention was made of the cheiftain's daughter who was the object of the hunt. Competitors exibited the perfect bell curve in ability to search for unknown targets, from not-so-much to full-on hunt mode. Only ONE competitor ( a seasoned LE professional) admonished the daughter to "RUN AWAY" upon finding her; this in the middle of a fight with Boko Haram bad guys and it did not slow him and appeared to be entirely subliminal based on LE training.
Fight/Train/Compete the way you Fight/Train/Compete?!?!?

The lack of stage walk-throughs, coupled with the lack of stage briefings AT THE STAGE wreaked havoc on some; the detailed reading of the stage briefs and questions and written stage briefs the night before the match beginning seemed forgotten by some. IS MODERN 3 GUN ALL ABOUT THE ADD??? THE HALF DAY FORMAT (Not too long, now..)??? (or is this just part of a larger societal phenomenon???)

Discuss.....

ericm

Comments. Discuss.

Not knowing what to expect I showed up with Tools ready for the biggest job.

308 A-max 155, .45 230 HP, 12 GA. With the mind set of. If the problem  can be solved with 3 Guns, I have the tools.

After shooting the match. I’ll change up those tools a bit.

Standards stages. Not thrilled, for my personal reason, if you’re at a place like Blue Steel ranch/ NRA Wittington, I want to shoot out in the open not shoot a stage I can shoot at any square range.

I warmed up to the Standards, as I shot them OK. And it was a skill set test that it was meant to be.

Real Blind stages!!!!! I like them, they are the only true test of “What IF” I know of, without getting shot at for real.  If that scares some competitors off. Oh well.  I like the challenge on all levels of the Blind stage. From what goes on in our head, to what equipment YOU decided to bring. Beep, Go make it happen!

The other stages,,, not in the match,, I choose to shoot full auto from the razor, Hell YA,, can’t do that most places,, the other stages , meh,, fun to watch the guys who wanted to shoot them. Square range stuff I can do at any range. and a Nice break. to have fun and hang out.

Getting done early, GREAT!! No back log, just show up re-read, the stage description and load and make ready.

I shot First many times. No advantage not to. And I’m a ready to go kind of guy, its and Old Army thing.

No walk through, no Stage HOG’s getting in your way when you’re walking the stage and they are two squads behind you. I like it, and from a match Director stand point a real time saver.  Are you here to shoot? Or Dance?

I shoot 3 Gun to Shoot! And have fun.

I Shot and had fun! I hope you have another and I hope I can get the time off from work!

Jim- M ammo

Wow - What a stroll down memory lane!

While I was unable to shoot this, watching the video brought back a lot of memories. Almost every stage in that video was a redux of an old SOF stage, some with some new twists added. The rifle to pistol transition for the pistol standards was a nice touch.

I intend to shoot this next year. This match really brought back the flavor of the old days, congratulations to the Match Staff for making this happen.

Just as an FYI, I will go through the gear I used.

Once they changed the rules, I shot my SMM3G "stealth" division gear,  A Tac-Scope legal 16" AR15 with a Burris XTRII 1-5 and a sling I custom made that worked great (2" bungee strap is awesome).  M2 Shotgun 23.3" tube and a front fiber optic.  M&P Pro9 pistol.  I used the excellent L.A.G. Tactical 3Gun holster and a Coyote tan and OD green Carbon Arms chest rig for shotgun.  Loaded all Twins. :)

I used a DSG competition belt (worked great) and Molle/Nylon/Bungee cord magazine carriers.  Started pistol with a stock 17 rounder and loaded to a 170mm 28 rounder.  Had two 140mm 23 round mags, carried them for three days, never used them.  Used 3 30 round magazines.  I did use a 20 round empty mag in the AR on the pistol standards.

Pistol standards ate my lunch, but the bungee sling was nice.  As Colin noted "Got greedy" and went for a bonus plate and as a result, only shot 2 of the 7 engagements.  5 of 7 strings not shot...you do the math...hurts too much.

Shot 147 grain Xtremes at 142PF and 69grain ,223 at 190PF.  Used B&P 3Gun slugs (one of very few who got 3 of the 4 100 yard poppers) and Fed 00 FliteControl Buck on one stage and Estate Low recoil 22 pellet buck on the other.  Kind of opposite ends of the spectrum and both did fine.  Boutique ammo did not matter. :)

I will likely add a bi-pod next year.  It would have helped on Roberts Ridge and rifle standards.  I might shoot my He-Man rifle next year.  I did not see any advantage to running a 8.5# .223 vs a 10# .308.  More points would have helped on a few stages.  Switching pistols seemed to hurt as much as it helped a few of my squadmates and focus on As seems like a better plan for me.

A Kurtism..."Two hits on the rock" translates to "watch that muzzle boy". :)