Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mag drop issues

tcazes

So I have a random issue. Iv had a mag fail to easily eject quite a few times when I run down to the last round or so it seems like I'm squeezing too hard on the factory sti grip or it doesn't have enough weight to fall freely. Is it my grip just too tight or is it that my actual grip module is just worn out?

It's got no stipling done at all just undercut at the trigger guard.

I have the big mag release tab on it so I never have to change my grip but I'm starting to think I need to loosen up completely when reloading.

I did notice with a right side mag release I had no problems....

Hello: I think you are over pressing the mag release button. If you do this it will cause the release to hold the mag on the left hand side. You can clearance it so it does not touch the mag when fully pressed. Go slow only a little is needed. Thanks, Eric

I once had a grip that was reduced too much by the gun maker, and I had the same issue - it would deform easily. They replaced it with the one stiffer, so this IS a possibility with a plastic grip.

Perfect remedy? Why, the stainless grip, of course! :)

Edited by Foxbat

Oh ofcourseeeee lol however, I do NOT want to chance non perfect loads getting jammed though lol. I swear it's a tight grip. I can manipulate when it sticks by grip pressure alone but it's weird on a virgin grip

Hello: I think you are over pressing the mag release button. If you do this it will cause the release to hold the mag on the left hand side. You can clearance it so it does not touch the mag when fully pressed. Go slow only a little is needed. Thanks, Eric

along a similar line

I drop a tiny ball bearing into the mag catch spring and reassemble, it acts as a stop which prevents you from over pressing your mag catch

along a similar line

I drop a tiny ball bearing into the mag catch spring and reassemble, it acts as a stop which prevents you from over pressing your mag catch

Now this is interestin....may have to test and see if it really is the mag catch tonight

• 4 weeks later...

If you don't want to try tuning your own mag release, the Dawson one is already tuned. I think its like 30.00. Has a cool emblem on the right side too. I live in Florida, so a lot of the year is really hot. I noticed my mags would fall free during dry fire in the house in the AC, but sometimes would not drop free during a match. When its hot and shooting outside I suspect the plastic is not as slick as it is when its cool and zero humidity indoors. Plus when its hot its a hair softer, so you can distort or flex the grip under the pressure of a reload during a match. And if you run tuned STI mags, they are a hair wider, so the tolerance is a bit tighter inside the grip making it even easier to bare down with grip pressure and pinch the mag. I fixed my issues by removing the grip and sanded and smoothed the inside of the grip using the Dawson sanding beam wrapped in sandpaper that comes in the mag tuning kit. started with 200 grit and smoothed everything out. then worked my way to 600 grit. The final touch, put some Pledge furniture polish on a rag or paper towel and wipe it on the inside of the grip. It makes the plastic so slick the mags drop out super free from any angle. I haven't had an issue since. I suspect if your mags drop free now, the tuned mag release and just the Pledge trick will take care of it. I re Pledge my grip inside every few matches. Hope some or any of this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want to try tuning your own mag release, the Dawson one is already tuned. I think its like 30.00. Has a cool emblem on the right side too. I live in Florida, so a lot of the year is really hot. I noticed my mags would fall free during dry fire in the house in the AC, but sometimes would not drop free during a match. When its hot and shooting outside I suspect the plastic is not as slick as it is when its cool and zero humidity indoors. Plus when its hot its a hair softer, so you can distort or flex the grip under the pressure of a reload during a match. And if you run tuned STI mags, they are a hair wider, so the tolerance is a bit tighter inside the grip making it even easier to bare down with grip pressure and pinch the mag. I fixed my issues by removing the grip and sanded and smoothed the inside of the grip using the Dawson sanding beam wrapped in sandpaper that comes in the mag tuning kit. started with 200 grit and smoothed everything out. then worked my way to 600 grit. The final touch, put some Pledge furniture polish on a rag or paper towel and wipe it on the inside of the grip. It makes the plastic so slick the mags drop out super free from any angle. I haven't had an issue since. I suspect if your mags drop free now, the tuned mag release and just the Pledge trick will take care of it. I re Pledge my grip inside every few matches. Hope some or any of this helps.

Thanks for the post.

I'm breaking in a new gun and got bit by my mags not dropping free a couple of times at a recent match. Grip isn't reduced, but I found I can grip it such that it will flex as you described and hang up the spent mag during a reload. Hard to stuff a new mag in the hole when there is still one there!