Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti dvc open w/ factory ammo

Kepo

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got all of my stuff together and shot the gun today, got it to run flawlessly on s&b 124gr ammo with a 7# spring. Went threw the first 5 rounds with the stock spring and then started getting stove pipes. Started with the factory spring and then 11,10,9,8 and 7# spring. The gun ran really smooth. I shot the Atlanta arms 147gr major ammo and started getting ftf, I never tried a lighter spring than the factory one with the atl major ammo, I didn't know what the factor spring weight was, and I didn't want to hurt the gun. Is any one certain on the factory weight? Sti told me they use the Atlanta arms ammo to test fire at the factory so it should run with that. What should I look out for when using light springs with the major ammo?

Thanks

Just a thought; It would seem to me if you were looking to purchase an Open 2011 gun just for plinking and range fun, with the intent to use factory ammo, it would be better to go with a .38 Super? Factory .38 Super will more effectively utilize the comp than most any factory 9mm. I know .38 Super can be harder to find and more expensive, but for someone who absolutely can't reload but still wants to get the full effect of their Open pistol purchase, it can be found online readily.

Since I'm not set up to reload, won't be able to for the foreseeable future, and since my local range keeps .38 Super well-stocked (I know that's a rarity, it's probably because they stock STI Open pistols in the store), I've always figured if I end up purchasing an Open gun, I'll make sure it's chambered in .38 Super.

Factory 38super probably won't run in the gun. Been there, tried that.

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread but I find myself facing similar issues to Kepo.  I am new to competitive shooting and, perhaps rashly, decided to go straight to an STI DVC Open gun, seeing as my eyes are not getting any younger and I really like using a red dot sight on another type of pistol.  I went for the 9mm version due to the fact that .38 Super ammo is hard to find and expensive in Thailand, where I live, but I didn't do quite enough research in advance and was foolishly unaware that the gun might not run on minor ammo.  Unfortunately, hand loading is not a legal option for private gun owners in Thailand and there is no Atlanta Arms or other major 9mm ammo imported or produced locally of which I aware. So far I have tried the gun with Speer TMJ and Magtech FMJ 115gr ammo and it seemed to run OK and I was very happy with the gun.  Next I tried it with some locally manufactured 124gr FMJ and it stove-piped 3 or 4 times on each mag and made a nasty mark on the underside of the scope mount.  I haven't chronoed the local ammo yet but Thai manufacturers don't comply with SAAMI specs and I suspect it is underpowered.  I was hoping I could get this local ammo to run in the gun, assuming it has enough power to make minor, since it is the only brand that is readily available at ranges here, as well as being a lot cheaper than imported brands.  So I started looking into whether a 7lb recoil spring might resolve things.  I asked STI about a 7lb spring with shock buffer and got a prompt reply as follows:

"The factory recoil spring in a 9mm DVC Open is an 8lb spring. It might run minor ammo with a 7lb spring however it is unlikely. These pistols were designed to run on major ammo and in order to guarantee function with minor ammunition you would have to send it in for a “minor tuning package”. This would include the recoil spring and all modifications in order to run production minor ammunition. STI does not recommend shock buffers; they redirect the stop point of the slide onto the spring tunnel, which will crack over time and will not be covered under warranty. Price for the minor tuning package on a DVC Open in 9mm would be $285 + $90 for round trip shipping."

Unfortunately, legal obstacles in both countries prevent me from sending the gun back to STI, although perhaps the $285 minor tuning that the importer might have considered having done when ordering the 9mm guns. I don't trust local gunsmiths after some nasty experiences and few of them have more than basic expertise. If I lived in the US I would gladly buy Atlanta Arms major ammo or hand load but I guess my only options are to stick to whatever imported ammo I can find or try a 7lb spring, even though STI advises it is unlikely to help without their minor tuning package which is not option.  Another option might be to try to get hold of 90 degree scope mount.

Edited by Krumble
Spacing

Hello, 

As mentioned here I have also switched to a sideways mount. I was experiencing the same problems as you with major power factor ammo. You could see where the brass was hitting the bottom of the factory sight mount.  I am able to pick up the dot faster with this mount although it looks goofy. Try some sellier and Beloit 115gr with a 7# spring I have shot that before without issues.

Edited by Kepo

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 8:02 AM, Kepo said:

Hello, 

As mentioned here I have also switched to a sideways mount. I was experiencing the same problems as you with major power factor ammo. You could see where the brass was hitting the bottom of the factory sight mount.  I am able to pick up the dot faster with this mount although it looks goofy. Try some sellier and Beloit 115gr with a 7# spring I have shot that before without issues.

I can see that a sideways mount will also be in my near future, if a 7# spring can't fix the problem. Which mount did you go with and did it fit the existing screw holes in the frame?  Did you have to add a separate thumb rest?

On 2/21/2017 at 2:19 AM, Krumble said:

I can see that a sideways mount will also be in my near future, if a 7# spring can't fix the problem. Which mount did you go with and did it fit the existing screw holes in the frame?  Did you have to add a separate thumb rest?

I used a cheely setback mount I got out of the classifieds here. It used the same mounting holes and I was able to use my go gun gas pedal thumbrest. I just cut the front hole off of the go gun and blended it to match the mounts contour. It wasn't necessary at all to do that just gave a cleaner look for the position I had it mounted.

5 hours ago, Kepo said:

I used a cheely setback mount I got out of the classifieds here. It used the same mounting holes and I was able to use my go gun gas pedal thumbrest. I just cut the front hole off of the go gun and blended it to match the mounts contour. It wasn't necessary at all to do that just gave a cleaner look for the position I had it mounted.

Thanks Kepo.

• 4 months later...

To follow up on this, I found a club just outside Bangkok that stocks locally manufactured 9mm major ammo, specifically for IPSC. It is 130 grain polymer coated LRN, rated at 1,290 fps.  The DVC Open runs really well with this load with nil malfunctions in a few hundred rounds so far.

The  OAL of this round is about .020 inches longer than the same manufacturer's 9mm minor coated LRN, which seems to allow it to run in .38 super STI mags without the 9mm spacer without malfunction (so far), another plus point because I can only find .38 super STI mags here at the moment and can't even get the ready made spacers from the US to do the conversion to 9mm due to ITAR.      

• 1 month later...