Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti dvc open w/ factory ammo

Kepo

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 9mm dvc open for what i feel was a great price. This is my first open gun, I do not shoot competition, I bought it to be a range toy and to open carry at Walmart (joking). I would really like to shoot sellier and belloit 124gr ammo that has a velocity of 1180fps. From what I understand this would be in the middle of major and minor power factor(146). I do reload for my rifles, shotgun and magnum pistols, but only in limited quantities due to a single stage press. So i really dont want to reload unless I absolutely have to. This is also my first 2011 gun and I hear that they are finicky. What would be needed to make this gun run with this ammo? Would it be a simple recoil spring change or is there more involved?

Thanks,

Dave

2011s are not finicky. The people who own them tend to be, and tend to turn them into marginally operational machines.

That gun is built for major power factor ammo. Universal and Atlanta Arms are the only companies making 9 major. Otherwise you load your own like literally every other Open shooter.

Weird range toy. Should have gone with a Desert Eagle in .44 Mag.

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 9mm dvc open for what i feel was a great price. This is my first open gun, I do not shoot competition, I bought it to be a range toy and to open carry at Walmart (joking). I would really like to shoot sellier and belloit 124gr ammo that has a velocity of 1180fps. From what I understand this would be in the middle of major and minor power factor(146). I do reload for my rifles, shotgun and magnum pistols, but only in limited quantities due to a single stage press. So i really dont want to reload unless I absolutely have to. This is also my first 2011 gun and I hear that they are finicky. What would be needed to make this gun run with this ammo? Would it be a simple recoil spring change or is there more involved?

Thanks,

Dave

Try it first. See how the ejection is, as in how far does it eject. If it's just dribbling out order an 8 and 7 pound spring for it to test. If it's clearing the gun ok then it should be fine. Of course you won't see the potential of the gun until you load some 172+ PF ammo through it since the comp and gun are set up to work best with MAJOR PF ammo.

It will probably work fine, may have to change out a recoil spring, but the comp is not really doing its job. It is a glorified 1911 with a red dot without major ammo. For non competition , a pinker , go have fun

Did you get the one that went for $3K on Gunbroker? Had my eye on that but its just not in the cards this year unless I sell some toys first...

Yes that is the one i got from hawektech, they are super nice. They even gave me free shipping on it, which i requested after the sale. I have always wanted a sti grandmaster, and then they came out with the dvc. I am in the same boat as you but could not pass it up, I am selling another gun that has been a problem child since day one to help cover the cost of the dvc, as soon as it gets back from the manufacturer. Second time sent to them within a year with less than 500 rounds.

If it works, don't fix it. :cheers:

If it don't work, lighten the spring.

Yep. Good advice. My Trubor runs with my 132 PF reloads but ejection is problematic and had a few issues like jams, slide not locking back, slide not fully cycling. If you order lighter recoil springs I'd recommend ISMI Spring.

Thank all of you for your help it looks like i will get a few boxes of major ammo from Atlata arms, and a 8# spring for the factory ammo for the first time at the range so i can experience the difference. If it is like what most of you are explaining I will start reloading for this gun. I will let you guys know the outcome.

Guys i was wondering how much does it cost you to reload 1000 rounds of 9mm major with a jacketed hollow point? The reason I ask is because I can get them for 480 shipped from Atlantic arms, and when I quickly crunched some numbers for reloading on my own I came out to around 360 just for the components. I was going by pricing from montana gold 124gr jhp, longshot powder and wsp primers from midway, and once fired brass from gunbroker. The amount of 360 included shipping and hasmat fees. I could go cheaper with montana gold cmj bullets but that would be comparing apples to oranges. Please correct me if I am wrong here, but I think that the time it would take to reload 1000 rounds on my own is worth more than 120 dollars. Keep in mind I do not shoot thousands of rounds a year and only have a single stage press. I would buy a dillon 650 since I already have a sl900 with a case feeder that I could use, but im just not seeing the benefit. Are my numbers way off here? Give me some insght please.

The key to reloading cheaply is to buy in bulk. Powder, primers, bullets....and pick up your brass. Powder, primers, and bullets don't go bad with age if they are kept correctly. So, buy enough to load 5,000, instead of 1,000, and the savings go up...double or triple that, and the savings go up even more.

$145 - 8 lbs of HS-6 from Powder Valley

$20 - 1000 Ginex primers from Ventura Munitions

$360 - 4000 115gr JHP from Montana Gold

$0.00 - Infinite brass from local ranges and matches and from trading brass i dont need for stuff I do.

Total cost per 1,000 rounds: $132.01

Avoid hazmat by doing group buys with friends or buying a little extra and selling it for enough to cover shipping and hazmat. Works out well for other shooters since they can get powder and primers cheaper than if they ordered a small amount and had to pay shipping and hazmat for it.

Edited by JRM83

I can get them for $480 shipped from Atlantic arms

Buy a complete reloading kit, including the Dillon Square Deal

and everything you need for c.$500.

Spend $500 on components and you're already ahead on ammo.

After that initial purchase of $1,000 - just keep stocking up on

components and you're way ahead - with ammo customized

for your needs and your gun. :cheers:

It costs me ~105 bucks for 1000 rounds of 9 major. I have never once bought 9mm brass, so that is free, buy S&B small pistol primers when they are on sale at Cabela's (17.99 per 1000), buy powder in bulk (148 for 8# of HS6 from PV) , and I shoot Black and Blue coated bullets, which are about 6 cents apiece... My cost per box of 50 is ~$5.15.

Reload. It's worth it.

I think reloaders tend to be a touch optimistic at times. I figure running MG 124's comes out to about $0.17 per round at less than massive bulk quantities. $0.096 bullet, $0.028 Win primer, $0.03 brass, $0.022 powder. Sometimes I get brass free and sometimes I don't so that cost fluctuates. No matter what, buying in bulk is key and the bullet is really the critical cost component. I'm willing to spend the money on good jacketed stuff and quality primers.

I think reloaders tend to be a touch optimistic at times. I figure running MG 124's comes out to about $0.17 per round at less than massive bulk quantities. $0.096 bullet, $0.028 Win primer, $0.03 brass, $0.022 powder. Sometimes I get brass free and sometimes I don't so that cost fluctuates. No matter what, buying in bulk is key and the bullet is really the critical cost component. I'm willing to spend the money on good jacketed stuff and quality primers.

It's true but... With some shopping you can load ammo that's JUST what you need at a savings over factory. Key is not blink when you see a good deal on components. :D

Just a thought; It would seem to me if you were looking to purchase an Open 2011 gun just for plinking and range fun, with the intent to use factory ammo, it would be better to go with a .38 Super? Factory .38 Super will more effectively utilize the comp than most any factory 9mm. I know .38 Super can be harder to find and more expensive, but for someone who absolutely can't reload but still wants to get the full effect of their Open pistol purchase, it can be found online readily.

Since I'm not set up to reload, won't be able to for the foreseeable future, and since my local range keeps .38 Super well-stocked (I know that's a rarity, it's probably because they stock STI Open pistols in the store), I've always figured if I end up purchasing an Open gun, I'll make sure it's chambered in .38 Super.

Edited by Rudukai13