Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

20 gauge shotgun for my wife

Jason Klein

My wife has begun shooting multigun with me and prefers a 20 gauge gas gun. She has been running a Remington 1100 and hates HATES the loading port. Nothing I can do to fix that loading gate set up. So, I'm searching the internet and trying to find a good option. Also don't want to break the bank.

I think I have found the solution in a Mossberg SA-20 with Ghost Ring sights. Any one run one of these? Preferably with a Nordic Components extension.

Yep, the Stoeger is inertia. For gas guns you have the 1100/11-87, Franchi, and a host of Turkish cheapies. The only 20 gauges that have aftermarket support will be the Remingtons and the Benelli/Stoeger. Will a Daves easy loader fit on the 20ga? It's the only way to run a Remington in 3gun.

Benelli and Stoeger are both inertia guns. My son has a Remington 11-87 20 GA but you can't load it very easily or very fast. We switched him to the Benelli. These are the only 2 I would recommend for for 3 gun.

Mike

Have you talked about open? My wife hates my M2, wasn't fond of a VersaMax, but shot the snot out of an open gun with a comp. When I told her she was shooting hotter shells than I was, she called me a baby.

I've tried setting up a 20 gauge but the aftermarket is limited. Tried putting a fat squishy stock on a VM and having a sporting clays friend fit the gun to her, still didn't help enough. In the end, it looks like the dark side won and she will be shooting the gun with a comp and a dot. Anything to keep shooting!

I put together a Mossberg SA-20 for my son when he started 3gun. He has since graduated to 12ga. The only problem it had in competition was during the NWMGC in Bend, OR. The extractor broke off right in the middle of a stage. To their credit, Mossberg overnighted a replacement to a gun shop in Bend, and I ran into town the next day to pick it up and get him going for the afternoon stages. The lifter has an evil thumbnail remover, and it is a VERY exacting science on a 20ga to weld it up without causing feeding issues. The lifter needs a trough in the middle to keep the shell centered or it hangs up on the chamber mouth when feeding. If you weld it up too far forward there isn't enough lifter travel to get the shells under it into the mag tube. Make sure the gunsmith who welds it knows what he is doing.

Jason-

We shot the staff match together at the Oregon 3-Gun Challenge this summer. If you guys were closer I would have you over to try out a bunch of shotguns to see what would work for her. My wife won't run a .223 rifle in 3-Gun because of the recoil (which I suspect is really the noise), but she runs a 12 Gg auto because it was tuned to fit her, balanced for easier loading and runs light loads without issue.

I would try to get her to think 12 gauge if possible. Most of the 20 Gauge bulk pack field loads work out to around a 460 power factor. My wife's 22" Mossberg 930 JM Pro is tuned to run 980 FPS Win AA 12 Gauge loads, which work out to 375 power factor. Useless on steel, but when the stage isn't all clays she bumps up to 1145s (at 564 PF) or hotter for the spinner. Even Fiocchi's low-recoil 12 Gg slugs only run 498 PF, which isn't too much more than a standard 20 Gauge slug at 432 PF.

Our local Multi-Gun (in Florence) is running a 6-stage day/night shotgun match on December 19th (staff on 18th) if you guys wanted to try rain (probably) instead of snow. My wife would be more than willing to let her try her 930 out to see if a 12 Gg tuned for light loads would work. It sure makes finding ammo easier to stick with a 12 Gg. Most autos don't like anything lighter than the typical bulk packs, but if one promises to stay away from the 3" shells, some can be tuned to reliably run the light stuff all the way through low-recoil buckshot and slugs. That will usually cover anything needed for 3-Gun.

William (from OR3GUN)

It would be hard pressed to beat a Beretta 1301 for a female shooter. The first problem most women have is too long of a lop on the gun, and the Beretta comes set up to easily reduce the lop right out of the box. Second is recoil, and the Beretta will run 1oz - 1000fps loads no problems. Then lastly, with the load port opened up it will load-two with ease. My shooting partner switched from an SLP to the 1301 and after playing with it I found it to be a very impressive shotgun.

Openclassterror: Good to know about their customer service, sad about the problem at the NWMGC in Bend. I was CRO on one of those stages.

I think the SA-20 (although I thought it was the SA-08...) is where it is at for her. I have looked a lot and that is what I keep coming back to.

Logiztix: I remember you talking about your match, and I wish I could make it, but I can not get any weekend days off at all. At least until January.

Hopefully I see you next year!

As for 12 gauge, I have put her on a number of different shotguns, and she still likes the 20 gauge. She is not in it to win it, just shoot and have fun. She is comfortable with the 20, and that is where she wants to stay. Maybe one day, but for now, her body tells her 20 gauge.

Edited by Jason Klein

I will have to keep some of these in mind, and yes, I am on the thread late. Every 12 gauge auto she tried was too heavy for her (out front), and too long (LOP). I went round and round on what I could do to shorten one up to 13" for her, but kept running into those darn recoil spring tubes being longer than I could shorten the stock. For the time being she settled on a Benelli 20ga Nova Compact (yes, a pump). I am going to let her run that for a while, and then try again. Funny thing was even with the pump she was beating her times over running a semi (partially fit, more weight).

I will say it did take some time to find shells that would work for her, hardest being the slugs. Some of those are horrid, even for me. She found a nice shot load, and I ended up getting a reloading setup and making her slugs. The only decent recoiling slug was a Remington 5/8oz low recoil, and they were hard to find locally.

Is the lifter from Dave full length? It may work better if you cut about 5/8" off the end of it and smooth it up ice and pretty with a file and some sandpaper. I know this won't be a permanent fix since she hates the gun, but maybe it will get her through a couple matches until she can get something that she likes.