Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax OEM Magazine Spring

RANGER3BN

I know people that clip the spring at 12" past the end of the magazine tube uncoiled. Sometimes, that risks there not being enough tension to feed the last few shots reliably. I originally cut my spring to 13" past the tube and sometimes, after a bunch of matches, I experienced that exact thing. (Which, admittedly could potentially be a carrier dog spring problem or another problem that escapes my mind at the moment.) You can stretch out that spring to get more mileage out of it, but I don't have a master's degree in spring tension and I'm not sure if that actually helps, or if it just makes me feel better because a few pro shooters told me to do it at one point in time.

Keith Garcia recommended to me a 14" past the tube and that is what I currently run. It's not too tight to load 2 and I figure taking off more is easier than putting it back on... Long story short, somewhere between 12"-14"+ as long as you can smoothly throw your last 2 shells in the tube. I also use the Nordic Component springs. Not sure if there's any difference in spring tension between the two.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by GregSmith

The OEM spring is very stiff, and for me, made loading harder. I replaced mine with a Nordic spring that is trimmed to14" past the tube (that's longer than OEM). The Nordic is a slightly smaller wire diameter & not as stiff. That change made loading a LOT EASIER. For the price of the springs, I just change it on a regular basis (depends on how much you shoot).

I have a Versa Comp Tactical and with the +2 cap, 10 round tube, my OEM spring seems VERY weak. Im no shotgun wizard but seemed very poor for the last shell. I replaced it with a Nordic cut bout 12" past the end of the cap if it were in place, seems better but a bit harder to load. Not sure Im answering your question, but I guess you should prob get someone more experienced to load it and see what they think.

The OEM spring is very stiff, and for me, made loading harder. I replaced mine with a Nordic spring that is trimmed to14" past the tube (that's longer than OEM). The Nordic is a slightly smaller wire diameter & not as stiff. That change made loading a LOT EASIER. For the price of the springs, I just change it on a regular basis (depends on how much you shoot).

Same here. I had great difficulty loading more than 3-4 rounds in the tube with the factory spring. As soon as I replaced it with a Nordic spring I had no issues whatsoever. I trim mine to 14" past the tube, replace when it shrinks to 12".