Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Pro Series .40 - Review

superlifer03

Got the gun last friday aftrnoon. Cleaned it. Gun looks great, except for grip safety fit a little rough and ambi safety real sharp. Lightpipe is dull and .060. Already switched it out . Trigger is about 4 lbs, I want it lower. Gun is all steel and HEAVY! I like it, and it soaks up recoil.

Magazine-comes with one. I already had four ACT from Greg Cotes LLC and put Dawson +4 base pads and Arredondo spring. $21 for mag, $32 for plate, $7 for spring. 20 rds loads easily and after 1000 rds, I have had no magaxine malfunctions.

Holster is a 5197 Safariland for an STI full dust cover. Fits just fine for me

I have had 4 failures to feed which I think were due to extractor tension. Gun runs great now and is accurate. Over 1000 rds thru it this week. I really like this gun.

So far, really impressed and i shot the best classifier I have ever shot within 24 hrs of getting it (been shootin a Glock)

Changed safety to wide single sided (dont like ambi)

Gonna let a pro get my trigger down to 2.5 or there abouts

I've had great luck with mine. I'm running mbx extreme mags, and have had no problems. I've got a guncrafters flat trigger with a 2.5 lbs pull. I was not pleased with the holster selection, so I had the dustcover cut down to an STI edge profile. I'm now running an STI edge blade tech holster. Love this gun!

I just picked up one of these from a member on here..... It runs like a sewing machine. I'm a big fan of the XDM 5.25 but this RIA Pro Match 40 is a winner. I load my .40's for this gun to a OAL of 1.180 and it just eats them up I have yet to have an FTF or FTE

So with the ACT mags and Dawson basepad, does it still fit the mag gauge for USPSA Limited?

I have a 51738 pro match 40 on the way, and some MBX mags, but would like a few extra as backups, or for doing steel challenge or pro-am type stuff where more mags are needed.

Thanks

Update - gun is running great with factory ammo, 2500+ rds through it to date and no issues. Three matches and I am hooked. I really like this pistolv

magazines are running great, i havent gauged them but I compared them to my glock 22 mags with Taylor freelance base pads thatare legal and the ria mags with Dawson pads are shorter.

I had a trigger job done and it is now about 2.5 lbs and had my ambi safety sharp edges smoothed down

I am going to put a thinner front sight and longer trigger on it as well as checker the underside of the triggerguard

Just got one of these too, magazine information so far

MBX .40cal 140mm mags hold 21 rounds, but not reloadable at 21 yet, keeping them full for the springs to settle and hoping for 21 reloadable.

ACT Para P16 mag body + Dawson para basepad + Taran spring and follower for 140mm, holds 21 reloadable. No material had to be relieved from basepad or from magwell, after cleaning up the mag catch slot on the magazine bodies they drop free easily. The cleanup was just a small file from a cheap Chinese needle file set, not changing the profile, just smooth the inside edges of the mag catch hole.

Using a Guncraft Para mag catch, drilled for a button, but no discernable mag height difference between it and stock mag catch. The ACT mags as received would not work with the factory mag well, the floorplates would not allow the mag to insert far enough

• 3 months later...

I just bought one from grab a gun. $814 They have 1 left. I have heard that sti 140s will run. Has anyone tried these ? I have a ria 1911 9mm. The edges on that ambi were sharp also. I dremeled the edges and cold blued it. Looks like new but smooth. I have read you can load long 1.20 with no problem, hope thats true.

Mine is still running strong. Can't say enough about this gun. I put the TF magwell on and still running the Act mags with Dawson extensions. I get 20 rds in the mags with original followers and Arredondo springs. I put a .100 Dawson friont sight on it. It is a keeper. I will try the Taran followers next to try and get 21. Love this gun