Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pair of Pro Customs

Flash74

I just wanted to show off a little. Here are my Pro Customs, a 16.40 for USPSA Limited and a 18.9 for 3gun. I have had the 16.40 for a few months and liked it so much I decided I needed an 18.9 for 3gun.

I was lucky enough to get the 18.9 in the classifieds on this site. When I got the pistol it had an incredible trigger, much better than my 16.40 which I thought had a pretty good trigger. I asked the previous owner who did the work and he said it was simply a trigger swap, removing the series 80 parts and installing a shim, adjusting the springs and a liberal dosing of Slide Glide light. This sent me on a mission so I picked up the parts and converted the 16.40 to match. Both pistols have matching 2-2.5lb triggers that feel much better than the stock Pro Custom trigger. I liked the triggers so much I did the same to my 45 1911 for single stack. Now all my competition pistols have the same trigger pull.

Having plain black pistols is so boring. The better a pistol looks the better it shoots, right? Fishpinoy27's sight tracker pistol gave me a little inspiration to add a little bling to mine, I glued some sand paper to a board and went to work on the flats of the slide. The coating on these pistols is tough. I had a tough time getting through it with 100 grit sand paper. I had to use a sanding drum on a drill press to get through the coating then go back to board and finish sanding by hand. My shoulders are not going to forgive me any time soon. While not as good of a result or as easy as a flat bed belt sander would have given me, I am happy with the results.

The magazines are 140mm SPS with TTI 7G basepads. These are 23rd and 20rd reloadable and cost about $85 when completed. If you have a high cap Para and haven't checked out SPS mags you are missing out. Shipping from Spain takes about two weeks and SPS was easy to work with.

post-49921-0-55541800-1448290429_thumb.j

Looks good,

Tempted to do mine one day.

OP, did you gauge those mags with the 7G basepad to see if they are legal?

I have several of the SPS myself in 9 and 40 and the stock basepads definitely have to go.

I've just been using them with the 3G pads but was planning on the 4Gs and no I do not have a guage.

Thanks

Everyone, thanks for the comments. FP, I finished with 220 grit. It took a lot of 100 grit to level everything then move to 150 and finally 220.

Looks good,

Tempted to do mine one day.

OP, did you gauge those mags with the 7G basepad to see if they are legal?

I have several of the SPS myself in 9 and 40 and the stock basepads definitely have to go.

I've just been using them with the 3G pads but was planning on the 4Gs and no I do not have a guage.

Thanks

I have not gauged them. However I measured the plastic pads at 143mm and the mags with the TTI 7G at 140.5mm. This was done with calipers. Measuring from the bottom of the base pad to the top of the back of the mag where feed lips start right where the gauge measures. Before I purchased anything, I asked TTI what base pad I should use with SPS 140mm mags for a legal magazine and they responded with the 7G pad. After my measurements I feel confident I could pass a gauge . All 8 of my mags measure within .25mm of each other and all are under 141mm.

Very nice.

What trigger did you end up getting?

I was trying to figure out how the mags were $85 complete and then realized you just bought the tubes. I had never really looked at that before, so thanks. :) Did you just use the factory springs and followers?

The 9 came with a Guncraft trigger and I purchased one for The 40. It is an oversized trigger that you fit your self. Not too bad at $28 dollars. It makes for a smoother trigger pull without all the slop the factory triggers have. I didn't buy mags tubes, I purchased complete mags that came with a plastic wedge base that doesn't quite fit the mag gauge. SPS mags come with good followers and decent springs. The mags come to $53 and the basepads cost me $32 using the discount code from Jesse Tischauser. So $85 for a complete mag. SPS has mags with an aluminum base pad that cost around $85, but they require an allen wrench to remove. I prefer TTI's base pads for looks (important, hee hee) and their method of removal.

I thought that might be the Guncraft trigger, thanks for verifying.

Man I must be blind, I didn't even see the mags with the plastic base. I know what you mean about the TTI basepads. I like the different colors too. The factory mags don't have the caliber stamped on them so if you mix them together it's easy to grab the wrong mag. I've got my ammo boxes color coordinated for caliber so it would be nice to do the same with the basepads.

Thanks for the details on what you did.