Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M3000 double firing

Ryan N

My newer M3000 has double fired(one trigger pull fires 2 rounds) 3-4 times and I only have 110 rounds through it. It happened twice today during a match. I bought the gun new and the trigger group is bone stock except for the MOA safety button. This is my 2nd M3000 and I have over 1800 rounds through my primary M3000 and haven't had this issue, so I don't think its technique issue. I have pulled the FCG and things look normal compared to my older gun. Any ideas? Could it be anything other than the disconnector?

Given the the small number of rounds the gun has on it I would first check with the manufacture to see how they want to handle it.

Assuming all the FCG parts are in spec the most likely cause is a disconnector releasing early* (if the hammer falls as you start to release the trigger) or not holding properly (if the impact of the bolt closing causes the hammer to fall with the trigger still fully depressed)

* If that is the case there is some amount of fitting/timing that can be done in the disconnector mechanism that might correct the issue. I've had to do so to fix someone's home grown trigger job gone awry.

Out on a limb here...but I don't think the gun will double via the hammer action...as designed the M3000 (and the M2 and Vinci) will release the hammer well before the bolt is closed.

I would look at the firing pin. Sticking. No spring. Burr on it or bolt hole.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I thought that Pat was onto something. I do run a Nordic that bolt handle that I had to relieve. I pulled the bolt and checked the firing pin and it moved very freely.

I plan to contact Stoeger and see what happens. I appreciate the suggestions.

You are going to need 3 hands to do this:

Make sure the gun is unloaded...completely, then check it one more time.

Dry fire the gun, keep the trigger pulled back with the bolt closed, press the bolt release and hold it in, and cycle the action quickly (and keep the trigger pulled back).

Did the hammer follow the bolt - or did it stay cocked?

If the hammer remains cocked release the trigger. Did the disconnetor hold the hammer back - or did the hammer fall when you released the trigger?

Try this test several times to make sure you get the same result every time.

We have seen a couple Stoegers that have the rear hook on the hammer rounded off from the factory, like someone slipped on the grinder or something. Whatever the cause, it happened prior to the chrome plating, because the plating was applied over the rounded off end. What happens is that the disconnector DOES grab the hammer after the shot, but when the trigger is released the disconnector lets go of the hammer too early on the reset, and the trigger hook can't engage before the hammer slips past. In essence, it fires once on the trigger pull, and again on the release. I am not saying this is the cause on yours, but it is a possibility. Here is a picture. The one on the right caused exactly the problem you describe-

post-48876-0-25874800-1448296287_thumb.j

FWIW, A Benelli hammer will work in the Stoeger. There is a cam at the bottom of the Benelli that is unnecessary in the Stoeger, but 99% of the time it doesn't rub anyway. If it does, you just hit it with a belt sander or grinding wheel. On the picture, it is the tab below the pivot pin. On the Stoeger, it is a smooth radius around the pivot. Here is a pic of the Benelli M2 vs the Stoeger hammer

post-48876-0-81793100-1448315122_thumb.j

post-48876-0-99701600-1448315243_thumb.j

Edited by openclassterror

My hammer doesn't look too bad. I haven't done the test that GunCat suggested yet, but I plan to. I have to get my wife to be the 3rd hand.

I called Stoeger earlier today but caught them while they were taking a special Thanksgiving lunch.

post-24626-0-02669700-1448334491_thumb.j

Edited by Ryan N

Test 1 - I cycled the action about 50 times like GunCat described. I never once got hammer follow. I sling shoting the bolt like it would happen when I shoot.

Test 2 - The hammer also stayed back when I released the trigger each time. I tried this about 15 times. I might should try it more.

I failed to try to call Stoeger today. Busy day at work.

If it is a disconnector release issue, it would likely only happen if the trigger was reset while the bolt was slamming shut. The easiest way to be sure is to have a buddy record in slow motion. My brother's smart phone does super slo-mo, so you can see every bit of the cycle if the camera is about a foot away from the ejection port. You can see the hammer fall through the bolt handle slot, and you can see if the trigger is resetting before the hammer falls as long as the screen angle is wide enough.

If you test by pinning the trigger to the rear ( pull hard and hold against the travel stop) until well after cycling is complete and it never doubles, but in normal operation it happens, then likely your trigger release is coinciding with the bolt closing, and this is what is jarring the hook loose. We have the advantage of being able to swap out every component until we find the culprit.

Your 100% sure diagnosis would be to swap the hammer from your first M3000. If that doesn't make it go away, try swapping out the trigger and/ or disconnector. Only change one part out at a time until you isolate the faulty part. If you could, I would like to see a close-up side view of the trigger and disconnector hooks. The hammer hooks don't look obviously out of spec.

Given the the small number of rounds the gun has on it I would first check with the manufacture to see how they want to handle it.

Assuming all the FCG parts are in spec the most likely cause is a disconnector releasing early* (if the hammer falls as you start to release the trigger) or not holding properly (if the impact of the bolt closing causes the hammer to fall with the trigger still fully depressed)

* If that is the case there is some amount of fitting/timing that can be done in the disconnector mechanism that might correct the issue. I've had to do so to fix someone's home grown trigger job gone awry.

That was probably my home grown trigger job. :) Steve fixed it without any issues. He can hook you up if the factory wont.

I called Benelli and pretty quickly was speaking with a rep. I have an RMA# and plan to send it out on Monday. Now that I'm armed with even more info, I plan to look at it and shoot it some more and see if I can pin down the culprit.

Tom, I'll try to get a few photos of the disconnecter hooks.

Edited by Ryan N

When my CZ was doing that ( identical hammer ) I could rack the bolt till I was blue in the face and it would not malfunction. It would only happen during live fire. I sent my hammer to CZ and they sent me a new one and the problem was solved.

I went to the range with 75 rounds of mixed shells. I gave the plate rack a nice workout and was beginning to think that the double firing issue was in my head after I got through the second box. But toward the end of the 3rd box, it doubled.

I plan to send it off on Monday. I appreciate everyone's input on this.

The awesome thing is that this thing ate 75 rounds of mostly range pick up ammo from the 3G ProAm (I worked the Pro SG stage). So, there was a vast array of shells with zero issues other than the double fire.

• 1 month later...

Got it back today. I like a letter stating what they did. Cudos to Benelli/Stoeger. Here is what is stated:

"12-28-15 - Replaced disconnector and mag spring retainer. Reshaped extractor cut. Test fired SuperX 3", AA, Rio, Remington 2 3/4". No malfunctions. MTM"

• 2 weeks later...

I shot ~50 rounds in a match today and had 3 double fires. Problem isn't fixed. According to Benelli, they replaced the disconnector. So I plan to swap hammers in my two M3000's and see what happens. I kind of hope its the hammer in which case I'll purchase a Benelli hamer.

• 2 weeks later...