Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56/223 REM, 100 Round Case Gauge

I stumbled across this case gauge on Tooth & Nail's website last night while checking out their shotguns. This gauge looks nice and I was wondering if anyone has seen/tried one. At $199, they're not cheap, but I'm inclined to take the plunge. Since my friends aren't willing to give me an intervention, I've been out of control buying guns and reloading equipment, I'll likely buy one and report back. It's 10X10 and it seems most ammo boxes are 5X10, so they won't transfer as easily as the Hundo/Shockbottle. Hopefully someone steps-up with a review first...

I've seen forum talk about when Hundo/Shockbottle would be coming out with a 100-round case gauge for 5.56/223 REM, but it seemed it was a structural/engineering issue. Perhaps I'm not searching correctly, but I couldn't find anything on a case gauge like T & N's.

case%20320%201_274x206.jpgcase%20320_206x274.jpg

http://www.toothandnailarmory.com/product/TN056.html

If you shoot enough 223, this is a great asset. I didn't see the benefit until I was shooting 3gun all year long. Great gauge. I snagged one during their fathers day sale for a few bucks less.

Quality is great. Works just like the shockbottle pistol ones. MTM does make 100 round boxes that match up great for these.

I got one from RM3G, and as much as I gauge pistol ammo, I figured I should be gauging rifle ammo as well. Near as I can tell, you'll need to remove case lube if you're not doing that already, and you'll also need to clean the thing every so often so you don't get false rejections.

I have found a single gauge is much faster than a set up like that. You can have a handful of ammo and drop it in/ dump it out pretty fast in front of the tv. Those are nice, but when I am doing thousands to box up, pistol or rifle, It is faster to use the single gauge for me.

DougC

I have found a single gauge is much faster than a set up like that. You can have a handful of ammo and drop it in/ dump it out pretty fast in front of the tv. Those are nice, but when I am doing thousands to box up, pistol or rifle, It is faster to use the single gauge for me.

DougC

Have you timed yourself? I am certain you would find otherwise. Especially when you talk about packaging the ammo after gauging.

• 1 year later...
On 11/20/2015 at 1:39 PM, DougCarden said:

DougC

You very, very wrong. Have you used one of these in reality? Gauging and boxing 500 rounds of 9mm is about three times faster.

The biggest advantage is boxing up the ammo after gauging. 

Dude, take a chill pill. :D Look at the date of the post.  At the TIME of the post We didn't have Shockbottle, or the much better Victor Precision units, of which I have one.  The nice thing about the Victor Precision unit is that they are the same size as the Dillon 100 count boxes now.  At that time there were no commercially available units except ones that cost $400 a piece from Machinists. 

As long as the ammo has been tumbled and is nice and clean/shiny I will still give you a run for your money gauging one at a time but the newer ones are very nice.  I appreciate my VIctor Precision unit.  It makes gauging match grade 38 Super much easier.

Merry Christmas!

DougC

Does anyone know if this flips into the 100 MTM cases? How about the EGW 50 round gauge, does that flip into the Dillon 50 round boxes?

I ask about the EGW one because Dillon boxes are 1/3 the price of MTM, and IME more durable.