Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Significant powder drop change

I was a bit surprised when my never fail always dead on accurate powder drop suddenly changed. I was set up for 3.1 gr of HP38 for 9mm HAP. In three different sessions of 250 rounds each, somehow it transitioned to 2.0 gr.

How or what should I be looking for to fix what ever changed to cause this issue?

Not looking forward to pulling 750 bullets :(

I called Dillon... dang what a helpful bunch they are :)

I forget what it's called, but I either loosened, or it loosened over time, the rod to the powder drop lever. Tightened it up and had to readjust the powder back again.

Today was not a good day for my machine tho, So I finally get that problem straightened out, and then ran into an issue in the primer tube. It got totally jammed with a primer... and in the process of fixing that, got one stuck in the primer feeder. As I'm taking that all apart, the shell plate detent ball got stuck in the center, and the shell holder spring went flying. In the process of sucking the detent ball into the vaccum, I discovered my wife had used the shop vac in the chicken coop, and I had to sort through all that stuff looking for the ball.

SMH at the day :)

Made 80 rounds up to shoot next time I get to the range, pulled about 100 of 750 bullets, life is good :)

I called Dillon... dang what a helpful bunch they are :)

I forget what it's called, but I either loosened, or it loosened over time, the rod to the powder drop lever. Tightened it up and had to readjust the powder back again.

Today was not a good day for my machine tho, So I finally get that problem straightened out, and then ran into an issue in the primer tube. It got totally jammed with a primer... and in the process of fixing that, got one stuck in the primer feeder. As I'm taking that all apart, the shell plate detent ball got stuck in the center, and the shell holder spring went flying. In the process of sucking the detent ball into the vaccum, I discovered my wife had used the shop vac in the chicken coop, and I had to sort through all that stuff looking for the ball.

SMH at the day :)

Made 80 rounds up to shoot next time I get to the range, pulled about 100 of 750 bullets, life is good :)

Get rid of the cheesy blue wing but thingy and put two nuts on it and tighten them together. Makes a heck of a lock nut.:)

The cheesy blue wing thing on the top of the fail safe rod in the picture. I throw them away and use a nylon tip lock nut.

Yep. Never stayed tight for me. Either do the lock nut or make one putting two nuts on. I use a nut and a steel wing nut.

Does anyone know what thread is on the failsafe rod? I gotta drive 100 miles one way to the hardware store

It might be a good idea to take the rod with you! :)

Edited by TDA

Don't know which Dillon you are running, but I just measured the rod on my SD. It is .189" diameter, which is a #10 thread, looks course, so I would say a 10-24, maybe 10-32. Either way, order a 100 pack nylon jam nuts for each size from BoltDepot.com for $2 plus shipping. You could also call Dillon and ask. Even a Prius can't go 200 miles round trip for $8 shipping, not to mention the lost time.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_jam_nylon_lock_nuts_Zinc_plated_steel.aspx

You somewhere between El Paso and Midland? I think Texas is as wide (east/west) as California is long (north/south). I just remember there being a lot of nothing between El Paso and San Antonio....

Edited by 9x45

Don't know which Dillon you are running, but I just measured the rod on my SD. It is .189" diameter, which is a #10 thread, looks course, so I would say a 10-24, maybe 10-32. Either way, order a 100 pack nylon jam nuts for each size from BoltDepot.com for $2 plus shipping. You could also call Dillon and ask. Even a Prius can't go 200 miles round trip for $8 shipping, not to mention the lost time.

You somewhere between El Paso and Midland? I think Texas is as wide (east/west) as California is long (north/south). I just remember there being a lot of nothing between El Paso and San Antonio....

Bwahaha I remember driving to Ft Bliss in ElPaso. I hit the east coast of Texas and thought,"this ain't so bad, I'll be there sooner than I thought".Then I saw a sign that said ElPaso 750 miles!

250+ miles southeast of El Paso, 230 miles south of Midland. Alpine has the hardware store, 100 miles north of me

Edited by Terlingueno

Does anyone know what thread is on the failsafe rod? I gotta drive 100 miles one way to the hardware store

Bet you don't have to drive far for practice.

Nope, just a few miles. Have three steel challenge stages set up, and have some arroyos with sneakily hidden steels that we work with. Nice to have a friend with many sections of land.