Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big butt grips - why?

subsonic

Each grip is unique. There are two length clips and several length screws. No every frame, grip, clip is equal. They test each one out in the factory or real Smith frames. It is possible you have either a defective product or incorrect hardware. As an owner of dozens of Hogue products I can ensure you a quick call to Hogue Grips will get this solved.
Here are some of my Big Butt Grips.

post-21005-0-98658200-1448238420_thumb.j

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have got to add this, I love Big Butts. There is more to hold on too!!!!! :surprise:

I got one made by Pat after Revo Nationals. Just shot my first match with it. Loved it. It just makes a fast draw easier!

Thanks again Pat!

How do the Hogue Big Butts (smooth, no finger grooves) compare in size, shape and feel to the Bang Miculek grips?

Tried many grips and settled with the Bang grips as they have worked the best for me, but wouldn't mind having the same/similar feel with a big butt on the end.

Appreciate any feedback.

Dave

How do the Hogue Big Butts (smooth, no finger grooves) compare in size, shape and feel to the Bang Miculek grips?

Tried many grips and settled with the Bang grips as they have worked the best for me, but wouldn't mind having the same/similar feel with a big butt on the end.

Appreciate any feedback.

Dave

Pat just made me a set of big butts on JM grips. Matches the feel of all my other guns, just has a butt for going prone.

Each grip is unique. There are two length clips and several length screws. No every frame, grip, clip is equal. They test each one out in the factory or real Smith frames. It is possible you have either a defective product or incorrect hardware. As an owner of dozens of Hogue products I can ensure you a quick call to Hogue Grips will get this solved.

Here are some of my Big Butt Grips.

attachicon.gif12227481_10208384241709876_1506604475_o.jpg

Will do.

I also tried to line up the cage nut with a small pick.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Appreciate any feedback.

Dave

Pat just made me a set of big butts on JM grips. Matches the feel of all my other guns, just has a butt for going prone.

Didn't realize Hogue could make a single custom grip on request....do you have a photo of your JM Grip with the Big Butt?

All of these are custom made for myself or my wife except for 3.

post-21005-0-59505100-1447647486_thumb.j

The folks at Hogue are so cool they will even take a tracing of your hand or you can send them a grip sample and they will clone it to your specifications.

I was fortunate to track down Pat at a match. He took me to a bay where I could lay prone and he shimmed up the butt of the gun until the exact height I wanted was recorded. He then took a grip that fit back home. I got the perfect grip in return. Another friend who is missing two fingers also had a grip made that is molded to his hand. Hogue being a family of revolver shooters take pride in helping up revolver guys get what we want. If your ever in Paso Robles CA swing on in for the grand tour.

Edited by Ty Hamby

Success! It only took grinding the area where the cage nut resides, out a bit and shimming it so the screw would reach.

Shot it last night and it balances the pistol just right.

Your going to love it. Nothing like a little need to shoot ingenuity to get things right.

• 2 months later...

No, both extend down the same. The square version will actually work on either a square or round frame, just leaves the frame visible and a gap where the round but frame curves. The round version works only on the round but frame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ended up picking up a big butt grip and like it a lot more than the Miculek grip. Has more meat and I feel more in control. Like others have said the big butt gives your weak hand some purpose as it can finally grab something. I guess you have to try it to see. Also makes drawing easier to grab the grip in the right place for me at least. With the Miculek Grip I would grab too low sometimes. The butt cures that problem.

No one has a BB grip because they look cool. They all look hideous. Here are some of mine.

Personal preference here I think its the best looking grip. The gun looks complete now that I added the Big Butt. :D

post-55741-0-14339700-1458911011_thumb.j

No one has a BB grip because they look cool. They all look hideous. Here are some of mine.

Personal preference here I think its the best looking grip. The gun looks complete now that I added the Big Butt. :D

Crap does this mean your going to shoot it better?

I sure do hope so. That was the plan at least. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I got the big-butt grip was to shoot prone for Far and Near standards. The Big Butt is designed to get your gun off the ground enough to have your sights aligned naturally for 50 yard shooting. The other added benefit is the way your support hand can tighten against the butt. If you sand away the grip enough under the trigger for a higher grip, there will be room for your whole support hand pinky to fit under your shooting hand pinky. It makes for a really solid purchase on the gun.