Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best sub sonic cleaner for your brass?

IMO, none of them, sonic cleaning is the worst option for cleaning brass. I have a wet tumbler, dry vibratory tumbler and a sonic cleaner. I use the tumblers for cleaning brass, the only thing I use the sonic cleaner for is cleaning gun parts.

IMO, none of them, sonic cleaning is the worst option for cleaning brass. I have a wet tumbler, dry vibratory tumbler and a sonic cleaner. I use the tumblers for cleaning brass, the only thing I use the sonic cleaner for is cleaning gun parts.

I would highly recommend a Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (aka a FART).

There is a thread going on right now about them.

^solid advice.

If you try to clean brass with an ultra sonic cleaner you will more than likely be sadly disappointed.

~g

^a single 20 min run did not clean my primer pockets, even a couple of passes did not do it half as well as wet tumbling (although this level of cleaning is not required in order to reload, although it does help with my OCD).

Heating the water, the cost of a quality cleaner (lyman ultrasonic cleaner with lyman turbosonic brass cleaner), plus the extra time.... way easier to wet tumble with SS media and my results are way better. I also found that my cases did better if they were stood up, with the case mouth up... this was a pain, time consuming, and also reduced or limited the amount of brass to around 500 pieces of 9mm. I wet tumble 1100 9mm for two hours without any intervention, and will often do 3-4 thousand in a day.

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

Depends on how well you wish to clean your brass. I use the Hornday 7L. Cleans brass good. Cleans firearm parts great. Very quite. If you're looking for a mirror shine on your brass, and spotless primer pockets ultra sonic is not the way to go. If you're looking to clean brass *good enough* for reloading, they work fine.

Edited by 308Prepper

I would highly recommend a Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (aka a FART).

There is a thread going on right now about them.

He said FART, LOL. I use the standard tumbler with no problems. It has even cleaned an anciet ground dug case and made it shiny and new again.

Be aware that an issue with most wet cleaned brass is that the expander funnel will tend to stick inside the case, requiring much greater effort to lift the handle up and withdraw the funnel from the case.

The carbon residue inside the case acts as a lubricant on the powder funnel. If you have ever loaded new brass you probably experienced this. Brass needs to be cleaned to remove any dirt, grit and chunks

that might scratch dies, or more importantly, scratch the chamber of your firearm. Current primers won't deposit enough residue to cause primer seating problems, and in US ammunition, corrosive-primed

ammunition fell out of favor in the early 1960s. So clean primer pockets if you have OCD issues, but not to improve accuracy or seating.

• 1 year later...

OK, I am late to the party here, but...

I have a 7L Hornady Sonic. Just ran it for the first time to 1) clean a gun and 2) clean some brass. For the gun parts I ran Simple green at around 8:1 in a hot bath. did a really nice job, in fact I am concerned that it is too clean! Going to have to make sure it is sprayed to keep it from rusting up! Then I ran a load of 9mm brass. I used a cool batch with Hornady brass cleaner solution at the recommended strength. WOW! 20 minutes and CLEAN! got it spread out on a towel right now to dry. Only issue I have is dry time, thinking I will get myself an electric heater with a fan and a motorized cage tumble like a media separator. I what thought about th wet media and pins,.  I have a large Thumbler Tumbler, but understand that the unit may not hold up to a wet system, either the weight or the pins on the bowl will cause an issue, plus it does not have a drain plug.