Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Air Force EIC Matches

Cd662

Hey Enosverse -

I haven't had the opportunity to post online too much since I don't have a computer right now. I have a background in action shooting sports (IDPA, USPSA, and ICORE) but I've been on a hiatus due to my enlistment in the Air Force. I've been investigated the Excellence in Competition format. I'm primarily hoping to get involved in a match and I'm also strongly interested in organizing a match at the base.

I am not familiar with CMP, NRA, or the military specific rules so I've been gradually acquainting myself with them as time permits. The big challenge I see to CMP participation are some of the requirements, and the subsequent number of matches (or lack thereof). If every civilian competitor requires a notarized document to compete, I could see why its hard to get walk ins.

I'm currently at Goodfellow AFB. Are there any matches I could shoot in the area that would qualify for Air Force recognition? I realize the Air Force qualifying events are not the same as all of the CMP ones. Secondly, has anyone on here organized matches at their bases, or is anyone involved in this format of competition (civilian or military) that would be willing to give me some information?

Thanks in advance!

• 9 months later...

I was stationed at Goodfellow a few years ago before I was introduced to shooting competitions, but it seems that San Angelo gun club is now putting on USPSA matches. I don't know anything about EIC, but if uspsa is something that you are still interested in, check with them. The range definitely has the facilities to put on a good match.
I do recommend finding an off-base storage solution though, because I had several less than pleasant dealings with the armory. Maybe it is being run better now, but that would surprise me.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

If you ever make it out to Nellis AFB in Vegas, you have to check out the Nellis Gun Club. I spent 7 weeks there a couple months ago and their range is amazing. For rifle, they have steel out to 1000 yards. For pistol, they have three big bays out to 50 yards, steel targets, target stands, and dueling trees. Great place and great staff. I was shooting 4 days a week the whole time I was there, shot a couple steel matches too. Check it out if you ever get the chance. Also, Sin City Precision Rifle Club is there in town too, if you are into that.