Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge Trigger Trouble

Andis2068

I just picked up a brand new STI Edge. The trigger bow impacts the magazine during travel which causes it gun to hesitate before dropping the hammer. I'm new to STIs and wide body 1911s in general so can anyone help me? Should I replace the trigger or is there another issue that I haven't considered?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andi, STI will still be replacing it with factory parts. Since you are having issues on it anyway (I hope it's not yet too late), you might consider replacing the entire factory trigger kit for a better set of internals. You will achieve extended trigger life and better trigger pull (lighter, crispier, and shorter reset). You can buy EGW or SV trigger parts (it comes in a kit) and have a qualified gunsmith install and do the trigger job for you.

I've talked to STI, but didn't get any real help. First they wanted me to pay for the repair, then they told me it would be at least a six week wait. I've fitted several 1911 triggers before so I bought an STI gunsmith blank trigger and fitted it. I also dropped in a Brazos Custom Pro Series Trigger Group while I was at it. Now I have a very clean feeling 2lb break without a magazine in. It still maxes out my trigger pull gauge with a magazine in though..... I gonna try replacing the disconnector to see if that helps. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm a bit confused with this tread !!......As I'm understanding this, you have a brand new STI Edge that you are not satisfied with. The trigger, magazine, whatever. Upon contacting STI.....you were told you were going to have to pay for the repair and it would be 6 weeks before a the repaired pistol,was returned to you .

Perhaps there is a little more to this scenario ...........

I have the same same problem with all three of my mags, MBX and STI included. There isn't much more to the scenario than what I've said. My warranty rep at STI wanted me to pay for the cost of a new trigger until I pointed out the absurdity of paying for a warranty repair. Then I was told that after shipping the gun, I shouldn't contact them for at least six weeks because answering emails and telephone calls take the warranty reps away from fixing guns.

I have seen this quite a lot lately in the STI 2011's. The top of the trigger bow extends into the magwell when the trigger is fully to the rear. STI should fix it for you but if you want to do it yourself it is a fairly easy fix. You will need a dremel with a small grinder bit with at least a 1 1/2 inch reach. Take the slide off, look down the magwell from the top and pull the trigger to the rear. You will see the trigger bow sticking out - grind off the portion that is sticking out into the magwell. Make sure you clean the grit out after you finish. It takes a little longer but you can also take the grip completely apart and it is easier to get to the trigger bow.

I have seen this quite a lot lately in the STI 2011's. The top of the trigger bow extends into the magwell when the trigger is fully to the rear. STI should fix it for you but if you want to do it yourself it is a fairly easy fix. You will need a dremel with a small grinder bit with at least a 1 1/2 inch reach. Take the slide off, look down the magwell from the top and pull the trigger to the rear. You will see the trigger bow sticking out - grind off the portion that is sticking out into the magwell. Make sure you clean the grit out after you finish. It takes a little longer but you can also take the grip completely apart and it is easier to get to the trigger bow.

I would opt for dis-assembly myself, lessens the chance of slipping/damaging something else.

I would first do what Bob recommends, and while looking down into the magwell mark the area with a sharpie so you know beyond a shadow of a doubt where the work needs done (I keep both a black and a silver one in my bag just for this reason).

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.