Slow Motion Comp Testing

kneelingatlas

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STI Trubor shooting minor 9mm load : https://youtu.be/eSSL_Th5FB0

ST Trubor shooting major 99 load: https://youtu.be/StecZz-7Y0s

You need to work on your grip, work on your major load, experiment with springs, try a new comp or any combination of all of them. Your major load is moving that gun too much.

I am starting to think it's grip more than anything. I spent some time looking at KA's videos. If you look at them frame by frame, you will see that the gun has almost no muzzle rise until the slide hits the frame. At that point, he gets a large muzzle rise similar to what you see in all my videos.

If you look at Cha-lee's videos, all his muzzle rise is also when the slide his the frame but the gun only rises a fraction of the height that KA and I are seeing with our guns. So either his grip is a LOT better than ours, or his gun is hitting the frame with a lot less force.

Here is a frame by frame comparison of one of KA's videos:

http://www.picpaste.com/pics/tanfoglio_frame_recoil.1450387295.jpg

Chal-ee's video:

http://www.picpaste.com/chalee-uUBfgovk.jpg

You can also see that Cha-lee videos he does not start with the muzzle horizontal. He has a downward angle on the gun already. Take a look at the ling on the garage door behind the gun as a reference point.

Edited by flgcwpg

Personally, I believe that all or almost all of the muzzle flip on a comp'd gun is caused by the slide action. I once owned a comp'd 45 with a Clark comp and barrel. I spent a lot of time and effort trying to get that gun to shoot flat. I learned a lot, including the fact there is such a thing as too much gas.

Anyway, germane to my comment above, on a lark I once decided to shoot my 50 yard bullseye load through the comp, just to see what would happen. That load was a Nosler 185JHP @ 775fps using N310. I had a 8lb spring in at the time. There was no upward muzzle flip with that load and the dot didn't budge. I was astounded. The reason was the slide never opened more than a very small fraction of an inch. I had to manually cycle the slide to eject the shell and load each new round.

In my videos I am pointing at a downward angle because that is where the bullet trap is located. Pointing the gun down slightly like that isn't going to make much of any difference in recoil management from a grip and arm strength perspective.

In my videos I am pointing at a downward angle because that is where the bullet trap is located. Pointing the gun down slightly like that isn't going to make much of any difference in recoil management from a grip and arm strength perspective.

I want's referencing recoil management but rather that the gun was not level in the video to begin with while the other videos posted start with the gun level. In the frame by frame, I could see how much your gun moved when it hit the frame. You obviously have a very strong grip.

I tend to agree with Charles. I think that thumb rest being so far back is messing up your weak hand position. You can see the gap between weak and strong hand when it should be nestled in there tight. I think if you take one or even both fingers off the trigger guard, get a thumb rest that's further forward and rotate hand further you'll get more weak hand on the grip and possibly get better control.

I agree. A lot of the issue is my support hand. I have 25% use of it after 3 surgeries and 2 years therapy. Last one fused my wrist.

That what the dent in my left arm is in the video. There is still a LOT of scar tissue.

post-55050-0-17201700-1450748684_thumb.j

Edited by Open1215

Same here. I was on a test drive (former mechanic) and a guy ran a stop sign. That was that. Arm hit the pavement at 40 mph and "turned to dust" as my doctor put it.

The accident that led to my shoulder surgery was similar. Guy pulling out of a side street. Not looking. Was not a fast accident but made a mess of my shoulder and my Ducati. :( I've had some much faster accidents with only minor injury. You just never can tell. There's a reason cops call them donor cycles... Still I love to ride :)

Just spit-balling, but have you ever considered trying open minor? I'm curious if the trade off of control would offset the scoring disadvantage in your case.

I have never tried open minor. The thumb rest really helps a lot and anything inside 15 yards I will double alfa within about 2in. I'm in it for fun and enjoy the sport. I'm not the fastest guy out there but I know my limits. I have a video with no thumb rest and the bounce was so bad I wanted to sell the optic because I couldn't find the dot. I put the thumb rest on after it not selling for a week and it made a ton of difference.

I will try and take video of multiple rapid shots. The local range doesn't like rapid fire.

I apreciate it. I just haven't loaded any to try really. I load bunny farts for my single stack. No pf just plinking and I get about the same rise from the muzzle. I just fit a 9mm barrel to that same gun so I will give minor a shot. I'll see if I can fit 8g of 105 in a case and see how that shoots. I also have some hs-7 I may try... :goof: