Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun shooter wanting to get into PRS

Fireman064

So I have become very interested in precision long range. This came after a trip out west and a good friend took me out shooting. We stretched the legs on my 308ar for the first time and took his 375 chytac out to 1970 yards. Living in East TN I don't have the ability to go past 400-500 yards where I shoot. The local 1000yd range makes it difficult to even get on the line to shoot, from what a fellow 3guner who's on prs kick as well found.

Being a avid 3 gun competitor along with my new interest in to long range, PRS type matches really got my attention. So brings me to my question (kind of)... I have a very nice 308ar I built for heavy metal division in 3gun; 18" Rainier match barrel, high end parts, so on and so forth... The more I learn about these style matches, the more I feel the need for a bolt gun to be competitive. However as I learned jumping head first into 3gun, knee jerk investments, with little experience into that shooting discipline, can be a huge waste.

Do any of you that compete in PRS style matches run a gas gun? Or did when you first started?

I am learning 308 isn't ideal; However with the new categories this year, Im hoping it might be a better starting point into the sport with zero experience in loading for precision rifle.

Any advice or experiences getting into the sport would be welcomed. I appreciate the input.

I do NOT shoot PRS, but I have a few acquaintances that do. They all started in DMR type matches shooting for fun, and they all either had an AR10 or a factory tactical type bolt gun in 308. They've all since been sucked into PRS and are shooting heavy bolt guns in 6/6.5mm and are trying valiantly to burn out barrels and auto de-cap their brass. I'm told if your serious about PRS this is the path you must follow.

We will be shooting at Bangsteel on Dec 12. It's just west of Wytheville Va. (Bangsteel.com) it is a low pressure local match, but there are some great shooters there (of which I'm not one of). You should come over and watch, and ask lots of questions. Everybody is friendly and is pretty much willing to help someone get started. I would recommend buying your scope first, and putting it on your 308, and taking a lesson at Bangsteel. Then you will know where you stand as far as how you like it, and if you want to invest more in a rifle. I should be there. I do have some serious foot surgery on Dec 1, so right now I'm saying I will be there. On Dec 2, I may not be too sure.....

I've not competed in a PRS event yet but have worked a major PRS event and shot stages used in the events. PRS matches are tons of fun and can be difficult for a 3-Gunner to do well in from the start with our slappy trigger fingers :) You typically get 1 shot with no make ups in PRS where we typically shoot till we hit in 3-Gun. They are adding a couple new classes in the PRS series for 2016 so have a look at the rules and match schedule, register, and go shoot an event. Let us know how you like it.

2016 PRS match schedule can be found here: http://www.precisionrifleseries.com/prs-events.html. PRS rule book can be found here:http://www.precisionrifleseries.com/prs_rules.pdf.

First off dont think for 1 second that a gas gun and/or 308 is competitive in the PRS, either or both will get you a last place trophy, or dam close to it, 2nd you must shoot a FFP(first focal plane) scope, and it must be a MRAD scope, MOA is what losers use. What I recommend is using your gas gun with 155s pushed hard while your bolt action is being built, shoot club matches and not full on PRS matches, your pistol skills will help big time, slow down with the gas gun, use the reticle to measure corrections, or miss faster.

If I want to try a PRS match, do I have to join PRS ($100) become a member and declare a division?

Also, if I wanted to start out cheap with a Ruger Precision Rifle in say 6.5 Creedmoor, should I register in Production or Open?

It looks like you don't get to shoot as much in Production.

I assume separate prize tables for Production & Open?

Thanks.

I just shot the PRS match at CORE Shooting Solutions. It was a gas gun only match and had a "Tactical" division for .308 and .223. This was an awesome match and based on the response I wouldn't be surprised if more gas guns weren't seen in the near future.

Jump in the game with what you have. Great people and great matches to be enjoyed now while you decide the gun of your future.

Edited by Brian Payne

first, there are a handful of PRS shooters in east TN. You can come practice with me near cookeville and meet some of them. and we'll help you get your gear sorted.

second, gas guns just aren't competitive. but 308 has a division now so you can shoot against other 308 shooters.

you don't have to join the PRS to shoot in matches. however, some matches that sell out quickly may give priority entry to PRS shooters.

if you're a 3gun shooter, i assume you're used to traveling so i'd strongly recommend hitting the club matches in birmingham (steel city) and baker fl (CORE) and don't hesitate to shoot those with whatever you've got.

training is probably a good idea too

the ruger precision rifle has the right features for PRS. if it SHOOTS then it's an unbelievable value. if it doesn't shoot, well at least you're only out $1300.

i suspect the course of fire will be the same in production and open.

Edited by taliv

First off dont think for 1 second that a gas gun and/or 308 is competitive in the PRS, either or both will get you a last place trophy, or dam close to it, 2nd you must shoot a FFP(first focal plane) scope, and it must be a MRAD scope, MOA is what losers use. What I recommend is using your gas gun with 155s pushed hard while your bolt action is being built, shoot club matches and not full on PRS matches, your pistol skills will help big time, slow down with the gas gun, use the reticle to measure corrections, or miss faster.

This isn't true. You'll only finish in last if you are a last place shooter.

I shot my entire first season with an 18" 308 SASS. I qualified in the top 40 out of 250 members to earn an invite to the Northwest PRS League Championship. A match that I took a bolt gun to.

Yes, the 308 is not as competitive as the 6 and 6.5mm's. The gas gun makes it worse. But a good shot can still do well. Indian before arrow.

Run the gasser in some matches and learn the ropes. At the end of the day, if you want to be the most competitive shooter you can, you will need a faster, flatter caliber in a bolt gun. Learn the game on a 308 gas gun and a 6.5 Creedmoor or something similar will feel like cheating.

Edited by Birddog6424

I am beginning to get interested in some precision rifle matches. Seems to be pretty well known that gas guns aren't as good as bolts for PRS style matches. Why is that? Is it just that a bolt rifle may be a little more accurate? There are some very accurate gas guns out there too though.

My understanding is that you can get max velocity from your cartridge in a bolt, triggers can be reliable well below 2lbs, there is no PIV from a hammer swinging around like in a AR and the single recoil impulse from a bolt gun makes it easier to shoot accurately.

I compete in PRS event. I am shooting one Saturay at Woodys in NC. IMO a bolt gun is much easier to shoot accurately. The best AR triggers aren't as good as a mediocre bolt gun trigger. Get a large frame gas gun trigger under 3 lbs and it gets real easy to double. I find my self having to concentrate too much on trigger control. Practice positional shooting and shoot some club level precision matches with your 308 gasser, while you build your PRS bolt gun. Look at chassis systems. They eliminate some of the work and expense of building a precision rifle.

Edited by LSnSC

• 2 weeks later...

Michael! When are you going to start shooting with us? You've been talking about it for 18 months. Time to get off the couch and quit eating bon bons! You need to buy this 25-06 and start ringing steel!

Happy birthday a bit late. I have to sell some things to pay for anything new. And the new teaching job took up more time as I got into it. I definitely need to get moving on things, no doubt, but I'm not the only one that has a say in financial matters, if you know what I mean. The marketplace seems to be coming to me with prices and availability. At least that much is going my way.