Pat you shooting the Missouri State match 3 gun

Under 200 yards = Federal American Eagle 55 grain 5.56X45mm

Over 200 yards = Federal American Eagle 55 grain 5.56X45mm

But what if i have a JP or a Stag?

Sorry I HAD to try to be funny. Not on my schedule yet. I live in Washington State and it takes a superb event to get me to $$$ to travel.

Ok .

Sorry I HAD to try to be funny. Not on my schedule yet. I live in Washington State and it takes a superb event to get me to $$$ to travel.

[Haha everyone has jokes. Lol quote name=P.E. Kelley" post="2496814" timestamp="1447088336]

Oh, I should answer the question too.... Freedom Munitions Remanufactured 55 Vmax for everything.

Close hoser 18gr of H335 behind whatever 55gr bullets are cheapest

Anything that has to be accurate gets 22 grains of H4895 behind nosler cc 77gr HPBT

I'm not shooting an armalite, but I am shooting a 18inch barrel.

The answers to this question are a bit miss leading. It will really depend on your barrel and your barrel alone. Try a bunch of different bullets and use the ones that works best in your rifle. As for what works in an Armalite, J.P. or Stag, all depends on what rifle god was smiling, or not smiling the moment you barrel was made. High end rifles in general shoot a more diverse variety of ammunition well due to a better quality of barrel used, but I have had some absolute cheap junk barrels that shot GREAT!!

Close hoser 18gr of H335 behind whatever 55gr bullets are cheapest

Anything that has to be accurate gets 22 grains of H4895 behind nosler cc 77gr HPBT

I'm not shooting an armalite, but I am shooting a 18inch barrel.

Will 18gr of H335 even make it 100 yds? lol

• 4 months later...

I run a 18in JP barrel and 16in Rainier barrel

200 yards and in 55gr. Hornady FMJ with 24.1 gr of H335 loaded to 2.25

Over 200 Hornady 75gr BTHP 24.0 gr Varget loaded to 2.295

• 2 weeks later...

Notice that that sneaky Kurtm has avoided telling us his preferred ammo for exactly 200 yards. Sometimes I'm so smart I only amaze myself!

First off, nobody shoots 18" barrels anymore. If you are not shooting a 16" or shorter barrel you are so far out of the mainstream that your opinion does not matter to any 3 gun shooting red blooded American. If you are still shooting anything longer than a 16" barrel you will be forced to wear a red and black plaid hunting hat and speak with a pronounced speech impediment. Now this only goes for rifles, shotguns are just the opposite, and should be as long as possible, because all the reasons for a short rifle do not apply to shotguns, cause thats the way is. If you did get your barrel trimmed down to a more acceptable 16" length then you could shoot anything that you wanted at targets less than 200 yards, and 69 grain or heavier on targets past 200 yards, but only east of the Mississippi, west of that you can use 55 grain for everything. As cleverly noted above if the target is at exactly 200 yards and not an inch longer or closer, then you MUST use a 77 grain bullet. Fortunately it is nearly always possible to take a half step back, thus slightly altering the target range so you could use your 55's agains those pesky 200 yard demons.

Edited by Stlhead

First off, nobody shoots 18" barrels anymore. If you are not shooting a 16" or shorter barrel you are so far out of the mainstream that your opinion does not matter to any 3 gun shooting red blooded American. If you are still shooting anything longer than a 16" barrel you will be forced to wear a red and black plaid hunting hat and speak with a pronounced speech impediment. Now this only goes for rifles, shotguns are just the opposite, and should be as long as possible, because all the reasons for a short rifle do not apply to shotguns, cause thats the way is. If you did get your barrel trimmed down to a more acceptable 16" length then you could shoot anything that you wanted at targets less than 200 yards, and 69 grain or heavier on targets past 200 yards, but only east of the Mississippi, west of that you can use 55 grain for everything. As cleverly noted above if the target is at exactly 200 yards and not an inch longer or closer, then you MUST use a 77 grain bullet. Fortunately it is nearly always possible to take a half step back, thus slightly altering the target range so you could use your 55's against those pesky 200 yard demons.

Oh my God!!!! Game changing!!!!