Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TruBor compensator question

Ub3RDoRK

I have a T1 comp in 9mm, looking for a bigger comp and came across the "Thundercomp 2" from brazos. Its essentially a t2 but with 3 ports on each side and wondering if its worth it...So my questions are:

Will the "Thundercomp 2" be better than the standard T2 comp? (preferably looking for experience with this comp direct.

I have a gunsmith to do work if necessary, but will this require much since its already a "TruBor" barrel?

The website says its chambered for a .355...knowing that 38 and 9x19 is the same diameter but anything else need to be done to run 9mm?

Anyone have some decent load info to start with? Currently I'm running 8.2gr HS6 with a 125 B&B bullet, and a LRP. 170-172pf.

aaaand go!

Someone will know for sure, but I thought the trubore barrels do not have a removable comp.

It was all bored from one piece of steel. If that's the case, you will need a new barrel as well if you would like any other comp.

Hopefully for you, I'm wrong.

A Trubor does not have a removeable comp---Brazos' says it is cheaper and faster to replace the barrel and comp as there is no fitting of the comp to the slide. Having said that....Brazos offers STI Trubor Barrel/Comp - With Thundercomp 2 (SX) Style Comp Check out their webpage.

As far as the "Tthundercomp 2" goes. I have ran a lot of comps and the Thundercomp 2 is the best. Expensive, but the best. Just my experience.

Edited by lcs

Hello: You will have to fit the comp to the slide or maybe not. The hood will have to be cut, the lower lugs will have to be cut, ream the chamber for 9mm, correct link installed and the timing checked. Fairly easy job if you know what you are doing. Thanks, Eric

excellent, T

Hello: You will have to fit the comp to the slide or maybe not. The hood will have to be cut, the lower lugs will have to be cut, ream the chamber for 9mm, correct link installed and the timing checked. Fairly easy job if you know what you are doing. Thanks, Eric

thats what i needed to know. Thank you.

I just built a 9 major open gun with a Thundercomp 2 Barrel. I have it running pretty good and pretty flat, but I am going to get the Trubor barrel with T2 without the Brazos side ports to see if it runs even flatter. I think with 9 Major if you want a flat shooter you need all the gas you can get going straight up. I will let you know how it works out. If I was in your shoes I would get the T2 without the 6 side ports. My current load is 115 GN Montana Gold Bullet JHP 8.9 GN HS6 Fed Small Rifle Primers 1.165. Very accurate. 173 PF

Edited by Arturo

I just built a 9 major open gun with a Thundercomp 2 Barrel. I have it running pretty good and pretty flat, but I am going to get the Trubor barrel with T2 without the Brazos side ports to see if it runs even flatter. I think with 9 Major if you want a flat shooter you need all the gas you can get going straight up. I will let you know how it works out. If I was in your shoes I would get the T2 without the 6 side ports. My current load is 115 GN Montana Gold Bullet JHP 8.9 GN HS6 Fed Small Rifle Primers 1.165. Very accurate. 173 PF

How's the dot track...because they claim with the side ports it makes it go straight up and down....assuming you have perfect grip.

Its very good. I have never shot the barrel version without the side ports. So I am solely trying to reduce muzzle flip. It may be that I already have the better set up and just don't know it. I was considering having popples put in to reduce flip. I am running the Brazos lightning slide. Bob from Brazos told me don't put popples in for 9mm. Not enough gas to run the popples and the comp. Direct quote. So I am thinking the side ports are also robbing comp efficiency as far as muzzle flip. I could be splitting hairs, but that's what we do in open, right?

Its very good. I have never shot the barrel version without the side ports. So I am solely trying to reduce muzzle flip. It may be that I already have the better set up and just don't know it. I was considering having popples put in to reduce flip. I am running the Brazos lightning slide. Bob from Brazos told me don't put popples in for 9mm. Not enough gas to run the popples and the comp. Direct quote. So I am thinking the side ports are also robbing comp efficiency as far as muzzle flip. I could be splitting hairs, but that's what we do in open, right?

Pretty much. I feel it's marginal. I almost am thinking of doing the t2 then adding ports and testing. A set of ports at a time... Hmmmm

Sounds like a good idea. I would get that Trubor Barrel with T2 and shoot it a bit. I bet you will find its better than the T1. Before you add ports, I would shoot kneelingatlas' guns to see what you think before adding ports. I have a feeling with the less gas that's produced by 9mm, its gonna be pretty good without ports. I will get some video of my gun running tomorrow night and post it for you.

Replying to keep track of this thread.

I just got an STI GM 9mm with the T1 comp. Headed to the range now to give it a try but already wondering if I need to start looking for a T2 barrel. Doesn't look like a lot of comp.

Will give range report later tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

A number of smiths besides Brazos build off the Trubor blanks. I believe Cameron's does, as does Glenn at Lone Stars Innovations.

I'm planning on a Trubor with Glenn's Super Comp for my next build. It's a much more modern comp design.