Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Checking the Chamber

RPatton

I use a Barney mag with 1 round in it. When I LAMR I insert said Barney mag and rack the slide. When I remove it if it's empty I know there is one in the pipe no question. Don't have to worry about witness holes or anything. On stages with multiple strings I will press check because the gun is staying hot. Works perfect and I haven't gone click since I started this routine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually I can hear the round chamber, it just sounds different than a empty chamber.

Usually I can't hear anything due to hearing protection (especially when double-plugged). The other day I didn't hear the "pfffft" of a primer squib.

I have had some mags that when loaded are hard to seat and if I don't get them fully seated then it won't pick up the top round out of the mag. The press check helps catch things like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I chamber check every time and guys will snicker about it, but there was an instance before where I didn't check and it destroyed my mental game which ruined the stage for me. Small things like this just helps to mitigate any variable that might become a problem. Victory loves preparation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've had enough mag related issues with the 2011 platform to warrant always double checking that one is chambered. There have been a couple of occasions when the chamber was empty when I checked. Better to find out at the LAMR, then when on the clock.

I honestly don't see the issue.  Why would you NOT check the chamber on a gun that has no indicator?

I admit that It is part of my prep and probably not necessary, but it is part of the way I was taught to handle a pistol.

Never had an empty chamber with the 2011, but I have had several with rimfire. Do it every time and you never forget no matter which platform.

I would guess you would never forget the stage you started with an empty gun, so there is that...

On 3/17/2017 at 4:50 PM, Stealsack said:

I honestly don't see the issue.  Why would you NOT check the chamber on a gun that has no indicator?

Maybe if you have a gun that actually functions properly?

If it doesn't chamber a round at LAMR, it's probably going to malfunction at other times too. Fix that stuff.

I personally have never once had a round not chamber at LAMR. If I did have that kind of malfunction, I would fix my gun.

Edited by motosapiens

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Maybe if you have a gun that actually functions properly?

If it doesn't chamber a round at LAMR, it's probably going to malfunction at other times too. Fix that stuff.

I personally have never once had a round not chamber at LAMR. If I did have that kind of malfunction, I would fix my gun.

Disagree. Especially when you are trying to lock in a big stick or limited mag that is loaded all the way up, sometimes it won't strip a round but all the rest will feed just fine. 

11 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Disagree. Especially when you are trying to lock in a big stick or limited mag that is loaded all the way up, sometimes it won't strip a round but all the rest will feed just fine. 

I found that if I inserted the mag enough to make it click, it stripped off a round every single time. If it didn't, I would fix it. I was never able to make my tacsport malfunction in that way, but I am a grown man, so I just push the mag in until it clicks into place.   ;)

Note that I  don't care at all if other people check to see if their gun malfunctioned on every LAMR. I just take exception when people start acting like you'd have to be foolish to *not* check your gun for malfunctions at every LAMR.

Edited by motosapiens

I don't generally press check.  I think if you spend enough time with the gun you know the feeling of the slide chambering a round vs not.

With that said I have been known to check my mag during the make ready to see if it now has 9 rounds after loading the +1.

I've been racking the slide with the ejection port facing up (gun held at an angle).

I just watch the round chamber then proceed to drop hammer and switch magazines. But when inserting the next magazine I pull/push after seating.

Now with 22lr I press check everytime.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...