Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Storage

38SuperWes

Just curious... I take apart my mags, clean them, pull the springs out and keep them in a plastic container after every match to help the springs last longer... any one else store their mags as such?

wes

Do you think mags that are brand new and sit on a shelf for a year have worn out springs?

No need to remove the spring from the body for storage. One can argue the more you manipulate the spring, the faster it wears.

Hello: I bring them home clean them and put them back together. Some are over 8 years old and still work great with the original aftermarket springs. I never leave the mags loaded unless it is my house/shop/car guns. Then they get shot once in a while to make them feel good. Come to think of it I have some very old 1911 45 mags that still work great with their original parts. Thanks, Eric

Just curious... I take apart my mags, clean them, pull the springs out and keep them in a plastic container after every match to help the springs last longer... any one else store their mags as such?

wes

God no!

Ok.... so I feel a little "mag paranoid" now! Just through the years so many open issues are mag related, a friend got me into really babying the mags.... so much so that I feel guilty for leaving them assembled while in storage after cleaning them! I'll try not to be so paranoid... thanks, Wes

I read some post in here from Beven and other folks that have talked to spring makers that the compression on mag springs is not what causes them to weaken its when they are cycled. so reading that I just clean them up and store them with the mag bodies intact. I change my springs every year after a heavy shooting season.

wes

Yet you probably ignore the springs in your open gun and leave them in the gun between matches.

Just being facetious.

My mags get cleaned, put back together and stored until the next match. The springs are 3-4 years old.

As Sarge said, I order 10 packs so I always have a new set waiting if necessary, springs are cheap.