Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major and mixed brass

Slostang

So I'm new to the open world trying to get my feet wet. What's the general consensus on mixed brass? Are you all sorting head stamps and adjusting to keep oal dead nuts perfect? My current minor loads vary ~.005-.008" oal. Maybe I'm overthinking that aspect. Also is it considered safe to use the cheap $25 per 1k brass after its carefully inspected or strictly once fired brass only? Thanks in advance!

Keeping the same headstamp from the same lot will help in the accuracy department. Either buy a bunch of Federal or Winchester White Box and other loadings.

Having different brass means different thicknesses and slight changes in velocities. Keep things as close to the same as possible for the tightest groups.

Also, different brass acts differently in moon clips. You can have moon clips made for your brass, ie starline,

Federal, and others.

Winchester is a pain on moon clips. Separate it or ask Hearthco to make you moons for it.

What's the consensus on mixed brass? strictly once fired brass only?

Unfortunately, there is NO consensus on this topic.

Many use 1x fired only and discard ...

Many of us pick up anything, load it and keep shooting it until

it splits or looks funny ...

Your choice, but I"ve loaded c.40,000 major loads in range brass,

and had only three case splits - no damage or harm - 2 0f the 3

were WW brass, and I suspect the 3rd was, also.

But, no harm. :cheers:

Same head stamps are the best, WW, Fed, Starline, Speer, RP, the good stuff. DO NOT USE IMT, Ammoland or Freedom brass. They have a stepped case and it will separate in the chamber during firing and leave you with a dead gun. I have also witnessed case ruptures with Geco (the kind with a double radius on the bottom). I only use new or once fired for my Open gun.

image36944.jpg

I tumble brass and sort by headstamps that I use with major, same as the ones mentioned above...toss out the IMT, ammo load and other cheap stuff...if I see one with a super flat primer I'll toss it as well...I shoot it until it cracks, usually it's lost by then...

I shoot brass until it splits or gets lost as well. 9mm is a pretty tough little case. I do sort my brass to get rid of junk. I also sort further though and separate by head stamp. For me it's not so much to get identical loads but more to enhance the reloading process. Some brands have tighter pockets and size differently so the press feels different from round to round. If I'm reloading same head stamp and feel something unusual then I am pretty sure there is something wrong with the case.

Many of us pickup anything, load it and keep shooting it until

it splits or looks funny

^^^^^^ yep I confess this

I do however try to sort out the crimped in primer stuff simply because I don't like messing with it in major.

Edited by shotgunone

I severely dislike the military brass, where the previous owner went too far with the primer pocket reamer. Some of them do remove too much supporting material.

Also, in my experience you start having loose primer pockets before you see any significant number of split cases.

Edited by Foxbat

Many of us pickup anything, load it and keep shooting it until it splits or looks funny

^^^^^^ yep I confess this

I do however try to sort out the crimped in primer stuff simply because I don't like messing with it in major.

This.

On average my brass has been shot 20 plus times as a mixture of minor and major.

The crimped cases I mark and use on the rare stage where I don't think I will get my brass back. Even with the crimp removed they often cause me problems when I reload them.

I have had three 9major round blow up cases. Could not determine what the head stamp was as the back of the case was deform to bad to read. One round blew out the mag, no damage to gun but had to replace mag base. One was a case separation, was able to push out the part of the case that was in the chamber and continue match. Had blew out the side of the case on the ejection port side of the gun and pushed the slide out 8 thousand. Was able to straighten slide and gun still running great. The loads were not double charged as doing so puts powder all over the press and I would have seen it. Pushing 9mm to major can be a problem if the brass is weak, but how to you determine that, so I will use once fired brass

I sort by headstamp for major 9mm, and COVET crimped primer pocket brass for major.

Why?

Sorting keeps things consistent.

Crimped primer pocket brass is mil brass, which, imho, can handle major loads better. (+p and +p+ brass not withstanding)

Get a Dillon 600 swager, you will be glad you did. Don't use the drill it out method, most who do just destroy the brass by over doing it.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ