Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's See Your Limited 6 Gear

Now that it's officially a division, what are people running in L6 if you plan to do so? Are we going to see more 38s, 40s, or 45s? I'll kick it off with my 625, I'm planning to shoot this gun in L6 and USPSA for all of next year. Just got my first order of coated bullet in the mail, loaded them up at 120-125 PF and we'll see how they shoot tomorrow morning.

post-60454-0-38643600-1446215568_thumb.p

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 acp isn't actually a valid choice for me, but close.

If I go L6 it'll be with my PC625 using 45 GAP brass to about 130+ PF.

Right now it's loaded up with a bullet I picked up a case of at an A3 Prize Table, Hornady 185 JSWC with 3.1 Clays in Gap brass gives me 730 f/s. Loads like a rn bullet, never had a hang up, go figure.

When I run out of those I might try Ibejheads 185 RN Coated bullets with Clays and 130 PF.

It's also my backup gun/load for USPSA when I'm shooting 8shot minor.

7" full lug 686+ converted to 6-shot and cut for moons and chambered in 9mm. I will run the same short colts fire formed I am running in my 929. 6 shot cylinder arrives next week and off to Tom to be cut for moons and chambered in 9mm.

Do I spring for Heartco clips or do I just buy stamped? That is the question I have left.

I'm playing with the 200gr Ibejihead right now, if things go well I'll run the 185 for ICORE next year.

Post what you find, might save me a bit of trouble!

First load I tried gave single hole groups at 7 yards. 200gr RN FB over 3.6gr of Trail Boss seated to 1.25 o.a.l I believe, I'll need to check on the length. I don't have a chrono yet so I need to check velocity when that shows up. Next trip is going to be some 25yd testing, if they group well at that distance I'm going to order some more. Likely 200gr and 185gr to compare.

I loaded up a 130-135 power factor load with the 185 grain ibejiheads, I'll check my data later, but I think it was about 3.6 of clays. Recoil was so minimal from what I recall.

edit.

here is what I have for the 185 grain ibejihead

185 gr rn

3.6 clays

1.24 "

132 PF

185 gr rn

4.0 of clays

1.24"

148 PF

I'll be running a 686 SSR, cut for clips, 4" barrel; I have since installed the Hogue ext cylinder release (short), I will be installing an Apex hammer here shortly, and then more moon clips and start loading lots of 38 spl & testing 38sc. Considering a Bowen rear sight, and a DAA racemaster to replace my CR Speed.

686-1_zpsowxi3fse.jpg

As a follow up I got a chance to shoot groups today, but it was 45 degrees, gusts of wind up to 40 mph, and raining. So I'll need to repeat when the target isn't visibly moving in the wind. I weighed down the holder with concrete and rocks but the target was still moving a bit. I gave up after a few moons and started shooting steel. I also forgot a jacket so I was wearing a t-shirt and shooting with work gloves, not a good combination for bullseye work. Top left was typical 6 shot group at 15 yards offhand, bottom left was 15 yards from a bench, and the right target is 12 shots offhand at 15 yards. I'm guessing this will be plenty accurate for my needs under better test conditions. Next time the weather is good and winds are calm I'll try at 25 and 50 yards.

post-60454-0-54337900-1447350060_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

I loaded up a 130-135 power factor load with the 185 grain ibejiheads, I'll check my data later, but I think it was about 3.6 of clays. Recoil was so minimal from what I recall.

edit.

here is what I have for the 185 grain ibejihead

185 gr rn

3.6 clays

1.24 "

132 PF

185 gr rn

4.0 of clays

1.24"

148 PF

Finally received the .45 185 IBEJ RN bullets, oversized for use in GAP brass though, sizing between .452 and .458 not very consistent.. Had to run them through a resizing die. About 15% would cause the case to swell and not seat. Also seem to be pretty dirty? Have a Blue hard Coating but am seeing a lot of leading in the barrel, both before trying the resizing die and after. Previously had been shooting jacketed/plated bullets.

Running 3.4 Clays in GAP brass at 1.180 for 720 f/s 133pf.

Will work some more. Accuracy seems ok. Not real impressed though.

Wish I could find some Hornady 45 185 Jacketed SWC, they loaded as well as a RN in GAP Brass.

Edited by pskys2

SW 625 - 5"...45acp APEX magic worked on,

stock sights

..also SW 625 5" (wifes gun) has Hi Viz blade

Blocker PPC holsters

233 Black and Blue

use any brass but Winchesters require double seat of Fed Primes.

3.5 of Bullseye or 3.2 of Red Dot...

the Bullseye load will do about 4" at 50 yards, double cataract surgery aided eyes

.,..PF maybe 135-140, cant remember

also....use any moonclips

Reuel Emery