Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD 9 tactical durability?

Deadcoyote

Silly question: I've been a long time glock shooter, but just bought a Springfield XD 9 5" for $230 from a buddy. It's in great shape, he just doesn't like it and bought a sig to replace it.

I'm going to use it in production, a guy from my club warned me the XD is not very durable and claims it will have parts breakage every 5k rounds or so. Truth or BS?

if you like it shoot it. people love to spout off random "knowledge". even if you ended up some how putting $230 in replacement parts into it I would think you were money ahead.

bottom line is you got a pretty screaming deal and shoot it like you stole it. you kinda did!

Edited by blairmckenzie1

I agree, I'm gonna run it and see how it goes. My buddy makes a ton of OT money (firefighter) and always sells guns for super cheap as he says he'd rather do a haggle free sale and just work OT and grab something else. I got a BCM AR from him for $500 before.

Well, I have smithed both my Glocks and my XD tactical and don't remember any parts "prone" to failure. In Glocks, the striker tips sometimes break or chip. As for the XD, I can't think of any parts that impressed me as failure prone. The XD design is a little more complex than a Glock because it has an actual sear and the modern design firing pin blocking safety with raising lever as is found in Browning, CZ, HK, Beretta and most modern designs. XD also has a grip safety that blocks the sear.

Glocks have no actual sear so they have a more "simple" design, not necessarily a better one. I prefer the XD because the trigger is far superior to the Glock and can be tricked out pretty easily.

Edited by bountyhunter

I've got the same model XD with close round count and have experienced no issues. Runs like a top.

I believe the XD is structurally stronger too. Take your Glock frame and try to bend and twist it. Then take your XD frame and try the same.

If i would start my production life all over again - i wouldn't think twice in using an xd tactical in production uspsa. they are accurate...do some trigger job and you are done..

The striker retaining pin can break due to a lot of dryfire practice. Really easy to replace and cheap to keep a couple on hand.

My son and I both shot XDm's in production and have a couple of them with well over 40k rounds through them. Have never had a failure of any kind. I replace the striker pins every now and then as a preventative measure.

I have an XDm open steel gun and its also been completely reliable.

I have a 4" Service model with 13k rounds through it, I just replaced it with the Tactical model for the added sight radius and to make it a dedicated competition gun. I didn't want to do much of anything (didn't really need to though) to my 4" because I would carry it at times.

I've never replaced a single part on it, never stripped the slide more than to whipe it out with a paper towel and lube the rails. I probably should replace the springs in it soon however.

The Tactical already has 1100 rounds in the past month through it.

Edited by JohnnyD

• 2 weeks later...

Both my wife & I shoot Xd's and XdM's and have 1000's of rounds through them. We've never had any part failures that weren't human cause, i.e. Part installed incorrectly or spring not properly placed. Periodically you do need the clean the striker channel.

• 2 weeks later...

some guy said huh ???? isn't that the way it always is. used to carry 1 for work. own a security company. shot over 15k in the 2 I have. notice I say HAVE . RAN LIKE A TOP. only reason I changed to m&p's was simply a lighter gun. wt is a killer with all the crap we load out with. also the backup was a compact. heavy as lead to stuff behind armor and 10 mags of .556.

love them but love the smith more. have a ton of them I am probably going to go to springfield for 3 gun which is all I shoot. wt would be good. mione have custom triggers and sights. arredondo extensions and mec gar's

shoot and have fun great gun

jjw

• 4 weeks later...

Enough said

I ran a 9mm Tactical in IPSC for over 4 years never an issue, Got rid of it a couple of years ago (mistake) I always wanted a .357 Sig to shoot in Standard over here and finally got one. loving it just need to get some bits and pieces (magwell and bases) for it but that's harder than I thought it was going to be.

Pistol gear sells a better roll pin for the striker retainer pin and it is cheap and easy to replace then yo wont have anything to worry about if yo like to dry fire the pistol the one on my XDM was broken but i did not even notice it till i went to replace it,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...