Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should Steel Challenge have a Minimum 125PF

bigtimelarry

I know Steel Challenge follows USPSA Rules so why not have a Minimum Power Factor of 125 PF

for ALL Centerfire Guns. That way new shooters and people that don't reload have a better chance

of competing. Instead of having these guys show up with their 95gr & 100gr bullets with 105PF, they

would have to compete as per the USPSA Minor PF Rules. Just a thought..

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Introducing a power factor to SC might level the playing field a bit, but probably not much. The people who are winning SC matches probably aren't winning because they shoot sub-minor....they are probably winning due to practice, talent and skill.

I personally shoot very close to full Major loads in my Open gun for Steel Challenge and my 9mm Limited load is the same as my USPSA Production load. I used to shoot mouse farts just because I could, but my Open gun runs as it was intended to with the major loads and the recipe I use for Production/9mm Limited actually shoots much softer than any factory load I have ever shot.

Well if it would level the playing field and it follows USPSA Minor PF Rules, seems like a good idea to me.

I'm talking 125 PF for ALL Centerfire guns. It doesn't have any impact on Limited or Open, you can download your .40 cal or do whatever

you want. It just weeds the BS 100 or 105 PF stuff out..

In the rimfire divisions the playing field's already pretty danged level.

There's a reason it's called the world speed shooting championships, not the world speed, power, and accuracy shooting championships :D

I'm not talking about Rimfire, Try reading better..

Well if it would level the playing field and it follows USPSA Minor PF Rules, seems like a good idea to me.

I'm talking 125 PF for ALL Centerfire guns. It doesn't have any impact on Limited or Open, you can download your .40 cal or do whatever

you want. It just weeds the BS 100 or 105 PF stuff out..

....but getting back to my point about skill, practice and talent.....most good Steel Challenge shooters are probably already shooting above the PF you suggest. The people shooting the super mouse farts are probably newbies that think it will help when what they really need is more practice....the same guys with 2.5 second draws and shoot stages in complete illogical order.

But to answer you question I personally would have no problem with a 125PF since I already shoot loads that are above that.

Well, I heard the guys that always win all use 100gr. Berrys that have a 105PF.

Some of the newbies i see shoot factory ammo don't have time to reload and work too much feel it's harder

to compete with that and tend to shoot USPSA.. So Steel Challenge rules are suppose to follow USPSA rules

OH Wait except for ammo PF do whatever you want.. I just figured a Floor PF of 125pf for ALL Centerfire Guns

would even it out a little more..

Edited by bigtimelarry

In the rimfire divisions the playing field's already pretty danged level.

There's a reason it's called the world speed shooting championships, not the world speed, power, and accuracy shooting championships :D

I'm not talking about Rimfire, Try reading better..

Post better first and I'll consider it.

Official steel challenge seems to be in a decent decline. It's probably a good idea to try and chase off the few remaining die hards with an unnecessary rule change.

Just like IDPA changing their scoring...it may flip flop a few mid pack guys. But the best are still going to be the best.

Hi Larry.

It is a completely different game. Different rules. It was not made to make people's lives easier. It is difficult game, and not everyone likes it and that is ok. Nothing is broken with Steel Challenge except the administration of it. There is no need to "level the playing field" by upping the PF for other shooters. Most shooters that practice find that lower PF ammo does help them when they are seriously practicing/competing. If they want to load the ammo then more power to them. The majority of the shooters don't get serious about SC and that is ok. I see no reason to penalize competitors that do specialize. My PF is 115 for my ammo BTW......

DougC

One of the biggest issues would be enforcing the PF rule. I have never seen a chrono stage at a local USPSA match. While most people follow the rules and adhere to the power factor for their declared division, I am sure there are quite a few who intentionally don't. I shot a major USPSA match this past weekend that had a Chrono stage. Many people failed chrono, whether it was by mistake or intentionally trying to cheat. The only way to fully enforce the PF rules, whether it would be for SC or USPSA, would be to have Chrono at every single match. This could be costly to clubs and would slow down matches. But again, I would have no issue with the rule, but it might not really have any effect at small local matches.

Nothing is broken with Steel Challenge except the administration of it.

Amen brother. Lets hope the new USPSA President gets HQ, SC and USPSA straightened out.

now these I can agree with. If USPSA doesn't want to run Steel Challenge legitimately as a separate type of competition then sell it to someone that will.

...minimum of 750 FPS.

I didn't know there was a minimum velocity for SC.

It was in the SC rules at one point. Not sure if it is in the most current/2013 rule book.

I believe the 750 FPS rule was made back when the stop plates were hooked up to a timer. A bullet would have to be going a minimum of 750 for it to register. But I have been know to be wrong....

Your premise is flawed. Steel challenge does not follow USPSA rules, it has its own rule book. If it followed USPSA rules then all that steel must fall to score.

correct, Steel Challenge mostly follows USPSA rules but not all ... check out the rules for open division guns and you'll see some interesting differences.

People who "win all the time" are not doing so because they shoot 100 or 105 PF loads ... they win all the time becuase they train longer & harder than everyone else

For the record, my open load is 140 PF with a 115g plated bullet ....