Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Divisions

Flexmoney

3 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

Why couldn't you shoulder it?  As I posted earlier, 5.1.10 says that you can't use handguns with stocks, but I couldn't find anything in the rulebook that disallowed shouldering a braced pistol.

You can shoulder it if it has a 16+ inch barrel.  But not if it's a short barrel pistol with a brace.  PCC division rules special condition one reads:

1. Short Barreled Rifles (SBR’s) are permitted provided that the competitor is in full  compliance with all state and federal laws and regulations concerning ownership and transport of the SBR. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, UpYoursPal said:

Is there anything that would prevent you from running a PCC *with a brace* in open division?  Rule 5.1.10 prohibits "Handguns with shoulder stocks and/or fore grips of any kind", but since a brace is not a stock and the braced firearm is still considered a handgun, what prevents you from doing that?

I know this is an incredibly gamer kind of question, but so far I don't see anything in the rulebook that would prevent it.  You'd have to have a holster, of course.

I think the biggest concern would be definition and who is going to apply that definition and then apply it to the rule book. Definition of a pistol. A braced pistol and an aow start factoring in. 

Its also a controversial topic with the atf around shouldering a braced pistol and there would be the chance of liability if a bunch of gamers were running around at sanctioned matches doing something that thumbs their nose at the atf, it could reflect badly on the org so that’s the political answer. 

19 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Its also a controversial topic with the atf around shouldering a braced pistol and there would be the chance of liability if a bunch of gamers were running around at sanctioned matches doing something that thumbs their nose at the atf, it could reflect badly on the org so that’s the political answer. 

It's not illegal under ATF rules to shoulder a pistol with a brace.  If they think people are skirting the rules in doing that, and don't like it, then they can try to get Congress to change the law (goes to GCA, not ATF regs).  As for USPSA, if it's a short barreled pistol with a brace, you can't shoulder it and shoot it as a PCC.  See language above.  If you want to shoot it as a pistol in Open, good luck.  It's not going to be fun or competitive.  And probably when you do, they'll change the rules to prohibit it.

13 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

It's not illegal under ATF rules to shoulder a pistol with a brace.  If they think people are skirting the rules in doing that, and don't like it, then they can try to get Congress to change the law (goes to GCA, not ATF regs).  As for USPSA, if it's a short barreled pistol with a brace, you can't shoulder it and shoot it as a PCC.  See language above.  If you want to shoot it as a pistol in Open, good luck.  It's not going to be fun or competitive.  And probably when you do, they'll change the rules to prohibit it.

I know it’s not but it’s well known it’s a thorn in their side and seeing a sanctioned body endorse the shouldering will more than likely cause a new found focus regardless of calling it open or pcc. 

i absolutely agree that it won’t be competitive or fun.  I’ve shot my sbr mpx in matches. I’ve let others shoot it as well. It’s not nearly as competitive as a full length gun. It’s bouncier by a large margin. 

All the political talk is gonna get this thread locked.

I believe a shouldered pistol brace runs afoul of 5.1.10 which bans handguns with "shoulder stocks and/or fore grips of any kind". It doesn't specify rifle stocks, it says shoulder stocks.

I believe by the end of '22 this won't be a discussion anymore.

• 1 year later...