Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Faxon 18" gunner barrel?

Shooter212

Can a standard Front Sight Base work on the Gunner barrels, or is it gas block only? Also, any reliability (undergassed) issues on the rifle gas 18"?

No on the front sight base. It is a pencil profile with a .625 gasblock. Mine was under gassed, I had to drill it out a little to get it to run. I am running a full mass system.

Edited by bmiller

• 2 weeks later...

Can a standard Front Sight Base work on the Gunner barrels, or is it gas block only? Also, any reliability (undergassed) issues on the rifle gas 18"?

No on the front sight base. It is a pencil profile with a .625 gasblock. Mine was under gassed, I had to drill it out a little to get it to run. I am running a full mass system.

A bit of a concern here. My first outing mine short stroked about 6 times out of 75 rds. I was using a new bolt with new rings and the BCG was a bit stiff. I'm hoping it will work in. What did you open the port to just in case.

The original GUNNER series was designed for a low-profile block. The latest batches (shipped to various dealers) has a 1.9" gas block journal to accommodate .625" FSBs.

The original GUNNER series was designed for a low-profile block. The latest batches (shipped to various dealers) has a 1.9" gas block journal to accommodate .625" FSBs.

Pic please?

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but I tried out my new 18" Faxon Gunner with 1-8 Twist, was shooting 5-7 inch groups at 100 yards with Wolf 55 Grain ammo, and maybe 3 inches with hand loaded 55 Grain SMK with light loaded H335 powder.  

Im not very impressed, as I was hoping to find something that would shoot junk ammo, and  the light bullets well.  I will try again with 62 grain ammo, and maybe 69 grain.  I dont have any 1:10 or slower twist AR's right now.  

That accuracy result is not acceptable to us in any form and were here to help. 

Please send me an email so we can help troubleshoot. Often, the issue is not the barrel, but if it is, we'll make it right. 

Nathan@faxonfirearms.com

Was having issues with a scope and did some shooting from a rest with a 16" gunner trying to track it down. Had really mediocre results with wolf gold. 75grn Hornaday shot very well out of it. 55grn PNC and Remington did okay. Wolf may be part of your issue.

Wolf Gold is definitely 5 MOA ammo, I bought a ton of it, and that's how it shoots in all of my AR rifles (Including ones that shoot ridiculously accurate with other ammo).  I was hoping that my handloads of 55 grain SMK's would do better (I am a total NEWB at reloading, but followed best practices). It WAS better, but I dont think I found my load yet for the Gunner barrel, will try some heavier bullets next.  

If you are doubting the grouping ability of a barrel, why are you using FMJ bullets? Hornady are the most consistent, but, it's not a bullet meant for precision. If a load using a Sierra 52 or 53 grain Match King, Hornady match bullets in the same weights doesn't group, then there is an issue. Don't pass judgment with cheap factory ammo using FMJ bullets of dubious quality.

1 hour ago, Chip3 said:

You can probably still get better results than 3" with 55grn in the gunner. Maybe try some 55grn match ammo in a rest to set a baseline.

That's what I should have done before I suspected the barrel.    Will try that next week.