Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H335 vs. 8208XBR

MC1

When I posted that I was holding my 8208xbr powder in reserve for heavy accuracy loads, I was  having trouble finding it locally.  Now that I've built up some extra, I would not hesitate to use it with lighter bullets.

However, for close in hoser targets I try to use the cheapest powder I can find on the shelf.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

PV shows H335, TAC, and 8208XBR all withing $15 or so of each other basically for an 8lb'r - Any reason not to pick one for both 55gr range fodder as well as 69/77gr match loads?  Thinking about just grabbing some 8208XBR for all and calling it good.

On 10/22/2015 at 7:18 PM, louu said:

335 is probably the best metering rifle powder there is however it smells like dookie when your shooting. It also makes a huge fire ball out of the end of the barrel.

8202 is the new Kool aid. It doesn't look like it will meter very well but it does. It will sometimes have a + or - of a tenth of a grain but for 3 gun stuff that really doesn't matter.

The nice thing about it is no more fire ball and no more stink. It's kinda like Varget but you can throw charges.

I'm working up a load with it right now and so far I'm really liking what I'm seeing.

like this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2016 at 8:31 AM, jrswanson1 said:

8208XBR was created to mimic an older powder that was very temperature insensitive. 8208 was originally a military powder that was the preferred powder of benchrest shooters looking for one hole groups at 200 yards. When it ran out a couple of decades ago, people who had any left hoarded it and could ask for quite a bit of money for it if they wanted to sell. It flowed through powder measures like water, and did not change through wide swings of temperatures. 8208XBR is supposed to do the same thing. No fluctuations due to temperatures, easily flows through a powder measure, and is very consistent.

Your talking about the original Hodgdon 322!  I knew this stuff felt familiar.  I used the old 322 in the 80's for metallic silhouette in a 7mm TC/U.  I've been testing 8208 in my 223 bolt gun and several AR's and it is rapidly becoming my favorite.

Jeff

PS  also very low muzzle flash!

On 6/1/2016 at 8:31 AM, jrswanson1 said:

8208XBR was created to mimic an older powder that was very temperature insensitive. 8208 was originally a military powder that was the preferred powder of benchrest shooters looking for one hole groups at 200 yards. When it ran out a couple of decades ago, people who had any left hoarded it and could ask for quite a bit of money for it if they wanted to sell. It flowed through powder measures like water, and did not change through wide swings of temperatures. 8208XBR is supposed to do the same thing. No fluctuations due to temperatures, easily flows through a powder measure, and is very consistent.

Your talking about the original Hodgdon 322!  I knew this stuff felt familiar.  I used the old 322 in the 80's for metallic silhouette in a 7mm TC/U.  I've been testing 8208 in my 223 bolt gun and several AR's and it is rapidly becoming my favorite.

Jeff

PS  also very low muzzle flash!

• 1 month later...