Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic Components 3rd Gen. 22 lr uppers are in stock!

kurtm

I have been testing one of these for a while now and all I can say is wow! It feeds like a 10-22. It is very accurate and absolutely simple to strip and clean, although you sure don't have to do it very often. I have run it on several different lowers with several different triggers and it has been great! It has even run on a J.P. with yellow springs, but your hammer pin hole location needs to be perfect; best to use the J.P. red spring for 100% ignition. It is a round bolt design and is in a standard receiver. I know 22s are still hard to come by, but the 3rd Gen upper is well worth searching for some. :)

I love mine, I've got a 2nd Gen and just got one of the new 3rd Gen. I really like the new handguard much better than the older one. The only issues I've run into with either one were some Geislelle triggers (SSA-E from a Colt Comp CRP-18) won't work with them and the new 3rd Gen upper is a really tight, I mean TIGHT fit on both of the lowers I've had it on.

I love mine, I've got a 2nd Gen and just got one of the new 3rd Gen. I really like the new handguard much better than the older one. The only issues I've run into with either one were some Geislelle triggers (SSA-E from a Colt Comp CRP-18) won't work with them and the new 3rd Gen upper is a really tight, I mean TIGHT fit on both of the lowers I've had it on.

I need to do some research on the gen 1 vs 2 thing. I wasn't aware there was more then 2 versions.

Yes Ming, that was one of the things I found out in testing. The geometry of the hammer to where it hits the magazine hold open paddle keeps the Geiselelle from striking the back of the firing pin squarely which causes a side load on the firing pin and then light strikes and miss fires. They are working on implementing a fix as we speak and I am sure they will have a Geiselelle compatible unit in the very near future.

Jesse, there are 3 generations of the Nordic 22 upper. I happen to have all 3 generations and each generation has a bit of my input which has lead to the next generation. I.E. the second gen firing pin was 20 thousandths to short, and the collar was 30 though too long, the back of the bolt was occluding full contact of the hammer with the firing pin depending on hammer to pin geometry. Several companies wanted a floating firing pin which then caused the 3rd gen modifications and now it looks like a minor tweek will allow ALL hammers to work. I'm glad you are enjoying your 3rd gen upper......and your landscaping!

Yes Ming, that was one of the things I found out in testing. The geometry of the hammer to where it hits the magazine hold open paddle keeps the Geiselelle from striking the back of the firing pin squarely which causes a side load on the firing pin and then light strikes and miss fires. They are working on implementing a fix as we speak and I am sure they will have a Geiselelle compatible unit in the very near future.

Jesse, there are 3 generations of the Nordic 22 upper. I happen to have all 3 generations and each generation has a bit of my input which has lead to the next generation. I.E. the second gen firing pin was 20 thousandths to short, and the collar was 30 though too long, the back of the bolt was occluding full contact of the hammer with the firing pin depending on hammer to pin geometry. Several companies wanted a floating firing pin which then caused the 3rd gen modifications and now it looks like a minor tweek will allow ALL hammers to work. I'm glad you are enjoying your 3rd gen upper......and your landscaping!

Nice to know your helping out! So gen 1 to gen 2 was minor firing pin stuff and then gen 3 was a complete redesign? Or are those just the things you came up with?

I took mine apart sbd out some more tacticool stuff on it.

CC55D152-16BC-44AE-A67A-0AA26B7E32C5_zps

E79950A2-639E-47E2-BA87-43DC71ABFF42_zps

79413B0F-5A9B-4BA6-A2F0-D8C563D7C927_zps

99A6D272-067D-4879-8F43-85496AFEAF7E_zps

First gen (of which I have the vey first one) was a square bolt design with a specially milled upper to fit the square bolt design. It had a receiver mounted ejector.

Second Gen was a round bolt design that was able to utilize a standard upper. The ejector is mounted on the barrel extension.

Third gen is the one you have pictured. Basically a second gen with a redesigned firing pin and different geometry to ease feeding and extraction in a different upper.

No the first gen uppers can not be upgraded. BUT if you are having issues with your first gen Steely, P.M. me as there were several "changes" we figured out on the first gen guns that made them run GREAT!!!

As for "helping out" James Darst and I have been a beta tester and design consultant for Nordic for over 5 years, as well as several other larger manufacturers

Edited by kurtm

No they only sold Gen ones as Nordic. Gen 2 was sold to other manufacturers. Gen 3 will be sold under the Nordic banner once again. Your group buy was gen one-A2.

Don't shoot water, it is dangerous and can cause ricochets especially with .22 LR. Don't kill your neighbors cat!

Yes Mick the gen 3 can be switched into a standard upper

Perfect. I happen to have one of Nordic's standard upper receivers sitting around. Hmmm....

Mick

No they only sold Gen ones as Nordic. Gen 2 was sold to other manufacturers. Gen 3 will be sold under the Nordic banner once again. Your group buy was gen one-A2.

Don't shoot water, it is dangerous and can cause ricochets especially with .22 LR. Don't kill your neighbors cat!

Everything suddenly makes sense now with the different generations. Thanks! Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Well yes, the 2nd gen is almost identical to the 3rd gen.

The pictures Jesse shows are really a 1st generation and a 3rd generation bolt. The only change made from the original 1st gen bolt to the one Jesse is showing was the extractor we moved up .030" to aide extraction of an unfired round when made for commercial sale. So kind of a 1st gen -1A type of thing. If it is a square bolt it is a first gen Upper.

2nd gen was on a standard mil spec receiver. Both 2 and 3 gens were round bolts so a specially designed receiver isn't necessary. The firing pin and back of the bolt where the hammer hits the firing pin are a bit different from gen 2 to gen 3. Gen 2 and 3 bolts will interchange and work in either upper.

Well yes, the 2nd gen is almost identical to the 3rd gen.

The pictures Jesse shows are really a 1st generation and a 3rd generation bolt. The only change made from the original 1st gen bolt to the one Jesse is showing was the extractor we moved up .030" to aide extraction of an unfired round when made for commercial sale. So kind of a 1st gen -1A type of thing. If it is a square bolt it is a first gen Upper.

2nd gen was on a standard mil spec receiver. Both 2 and 3 gens were round bolts so a specially designed receiver isn't necessary. The firing pin and back of the bolt where the hammer hits the firing pin are a bit different from gen 2 to gen 3. Gen 2 and 3 bolts will interchange and work in either upper.

So the bolt in that dudes DPMS review is a Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to share your knowledge with the guys on arfcom too.

As started in a few of my posts...ANYTHING WITH A SQUARE BOLT is a first gen upper

Does the bolt have a extractor on both sides?

I seem to remember that the original DPMS had two of them. I also remember that they had a problem going into battery

and would blow out the extractor. I also remember they had a problem with the case not being supported. That also led to

bad things happening.

As started in a few of my posts...ANYTHING WITH A SQUARE BOLT is a first gen upper[/quote

Sorry I was confused when you said gen 1 was only sold by Nordic but this guy was reviewing a DPMS which you then says was a gen 1 because it has a square bolt.

Sorry about that Jesse! Your right my mistake! I miss-stated, Gen one was sold by Nordic themselves, and a couple other names.

The Gen 2 was only sold under other names.

Gen 3 is being sold by Nordic once again, and other names.

The original DPMS 22 upper wasn't made by Nordic. It was a copy of an old military trainer unit that had been reconfigured with a dedicated .22 LR barrel and yes it had a propensity to fire slightly out of battery, but in no way was it made by Nordic.