Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If You Were To Start a Gun Collection...

I'm starting to notice some good deals on used guns in my area, and it's giving me ideas... In the past, I've considered starting a .22lr collection and studied up on them, but that hasn't stuck enough for me to purchase any. I know some guys like to collect Colt revolvers and Winchester rifles, and while collecting authentic cowboy guns sounds awesome, those prices definitely are not in my books. A buddy of mine collects WWII era firearms, and another collects combat shotguns.

I do have an interest in Smith and Wesson revolvers and would be interested in studying up on them, not to mention a handgun-only collection would be easy to store...

I'm just curious about folks who have "themed" gun collections or would like to start one. What's your theme, and why? Your reasoning could be anything from "I just have this weird fascination with X's" to "strong projected return on investment".

Love to hear some ideas!

J

PS: I realize that lots of folks at BEnos can say "I have a huge collection of competition guns!" An accumulated batch of guns for a specific use (competition, hunting, etc.) isn't really what I'm talking about here-- this is more about specificly collecting purely for the sake of collecting.

Edited by jkrispies

I've heard of guys that collected every chambering of Ruger No 1's, every model 70. Some guys collect as investment some just because they like stuff.

I see you're in CA, I wouldn't even bother with a handgun collection here. Really, because then your best bet would be to just start a collection of "the very few things on the stupid ca list"

S&w revolvers are awesome (if you moved so you could buy them all). If you like rifles you could do varmint guns, African guns, lever actions. id go for some high end custom mausers. Brazilian Mauser in 404 Jeffery, commercial double square bridge color case hardened in 505 Gibbs, argentine in 500 Jeffery. Awesome options.

Or buy all the CZ rifles. They make some awesome stuff off the shelf

Red

I see you're in CA, I wouldn't even bother with a handgun collection here. Really, because then your best bet would be to just start a collection of "the very few things on the stupid ca list"

S&w revolvers are awesome (if you moved so you could buy them all).

Red

California is a pain, but I'm looking for a discussion beyond my personal restrictions of the moment. I may live here but I don't plan to die here.

My ultimate gun collection would prob'ly be:

Dan Wesson .357 revolver 8" vent barrel.

Dan Wesson .44 revolver 10" vent barrel.

1911 .45 ACP (single stack)

1911 10 mm (single stack)

1911 .38 super race gun (Single stack)

1911 .38 super race gun (double stack)

CZ75 B 9mm

'98 Mauser in 7x57

Savage 10BA .308

Marlin 336 CS .35 Remington

Sprinfield Armory Loaded M1A

No. Not a huge collection and half of them I have already. But it's all I really WANT.

• California? How about black powder guns? :cheers:

Funny you should mention that...That is what I have started collecting...mostly replicas, but some modern BP weapons as well...

1 - 1847 Colt walker Dragoon 44 cal (replica)

2 - 1860 Colt Sheriff Model 44 cal (replicas)

1 - Authentic Mannlicher 1886 11x58mmR straight pull bolt gun

1 - CVA Optima Pro 50 cal

1 - Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal

My ultimate gun collection would prob'ly be:

Dan Wesson .357 revolver 8" vent barrel.

Dan Wesson .44 revolver 10" vent barrel.

1911 .45 ACP (single stack)

1911 10 mm (single stack)

1911 .38 super race gun (Single stack)

1911 .38 super race gun (double stack)

CZ75 B 9mm

'98 Mauser in 7x57

Savage 10BA .308

Marlin 336 CS .35 Remington

Sprinfield Armory Loaded M1A

No. Not a huge collection and half of them I have already. But it's all I really WANT.

Interesting, because I really like single stacks. I love my .45acp. Maybe a 10mm and a 9mm, and a........?

I'm into .41 magnums. S&W, Ruger, Marlin. They're starting to get a bit difficult to find, especially at a somewhat reasonable price.

I've been looking for a nickel plated model 58, and a Marlin lever gun( The trapper style) for quite a while now.

a Gun collection.

you mean planning ahead?

I'd think a revolver collection would be entertaining.

a 1911 in no where near as interesting to look at.

I think I'd try for a caliber collection

38/9mm sized things

or 45/44 sized things.

... if you do 50 caliber the collection would be small and expensive.

miranda

a Gun collection.

you mean planning ahead?

I'd think a revolver collection would be entertaining.

a 1911 in no where near as interesting to look at.

I think I'd try for a caliber collection

38/9mm sized things

or 45/44 sized things.

... if you do 50 caliber the collection would be small and expensive.

miranda

I agree that 1911's aren't visually much to look at as a collection in terms of variance. The differences are felt at the range. Revolvers have better eye value when observing them.

My original thought was to concentrate on S&W 6 series revolvers of various calibers. Interesting yet modern enough that the prices should be do-able and not so precious that I won't want to use them. Of course if something other than a 6 series presented itself, I wouldn't take it off the table if the situation was right. All just pie in the sky, but an attainable pie!

I collect Colt SAA's and have a fun collection of "gamblers guns". Small pocket pistols like the Colt 1908 and 1903, Remington 51, velo dogs, Mauser M-8, Savage 1907, and a bunch of S&W pocket pistols. The gambler guns are relatively inexpensive scaled against the SAA's.

I collect Colt SAA's and have a fun collection of "gamblers guns". Small pocket pistols like the Colt 1908 and 1903, Remington 51, velo dogs, Mauser M-8, Savage 1907, and a bunch of S&W pocket pistols. The gambler guns are relatively inexpensive scaled against the SAA's.

You can't throw that out there without pics!

I think it would be pretty cool to have a collection that reflects the history of IPSC/uspsa. Like starting from revos/1911's tricked out the way guys would do during the beginnings of the sport, to the single stack, iron sight, open guns to the modern hotness for every division we have currently.

I think it would be pretty cool to have a collection that reflects the history of IPSC/uspsa. Like starting from revos/1911's tricked out the way guys would do during the beginnings of the sport, to the single stack, iron sight, open guns to the modern hotness for every division we have currently.

We should have a museum that starts back (at least) to the Southwest Pistol League "leather slap" matches in Big Bear. Maybe some original steel challenge guns would be cool too, when they started using compensators and such.

Edited by jkrispies

I belong to the local Arms Collectors society. Like here, there are all kinds of members and collections. One gentleman has a collection of Saturday Night Specials, Some collect Millitaria, bayonets, Historical.......

The sky is the limit (pocket book not so much).

Great idea, especially if you have some built period correct, like doing a duece coupe 50's style. Probably cheaper than finding original customs too. Man I really like that idea.

I think a matched set of 1911's in 9, 38super, 40, 45 could be cool. Id love to have an S&W schofield, my dream revolver. In fact I've avoid cowboy action because I can imagine how much I'd spend.

Shuts post pics every time you buy one

If you don't feel passionate enough about collecting a certain type of gun but want a collection anyway, pick a group that will go up in value relatively quickly. If you get tired of looking at all the guns you aren't in love with, you at least made a profit.

If I had spare change falling out of my pockets I'd buy crates of Russian Mosin Nagant rifles, especially Tula hex, M44 and sniper variants. Remember when German Mausers were cheap? Remember when SKS's were cheap? Yeah, Mosin's are next and already going up.

If you don't feel passionate enough about collecting a certain type of gun but want a collection anyway, pick a group that will go up in value relatively quickly. If you get tired of looking at all the guns you aren't in love with, you at least made a profit.

If I had spare change falling out of my pockets I'd buy crates of Russian Mosin Nagant rifles, especially Tula hex, M44 and sniper variants. Remember when German Mausers were cheap? Remember when SKS's were cheap? Yeah, Mosin's are next and already going up.

I remember when I was a teenager there was a local sporting goods chain that had military surplus M1carbines thrown in a 55 gallon drum like old broomsticks for $99 apiece. I'd scoff at it every time I went in that store and headed directly to the glass display case to ogle the new guns I couldn't afford and subsequently didn't buy, even though I might have had $99 burning a hole in my pocket. Nowadays, every so often I have flashbacks of that barrel...