Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If You Were To Start a Gun Collection...

I enjoy Colt Government Models. I don't have many, but there are many variations. A collector that wanted one of every different rollmark, font style, rollmark placement, etc. would have a collection of at least 200 guns. Early commercial Colts have beautiful finishes also.

Hurley

If I was going to have a themed gun collection, I would want it to be on one model or one caliber.

I would probably do .41 Magnum to keep it small and possibly attainable.

I'm noticing .41mag being mentioned a lot lately, in this thread and others. Thinking I should investigate that caliber some more...

I like to have a "gun for every purpose". After 10 years and tens of thousands of dollars (hundreds maybe?), I have quite a few of nearly all varieties. I have my "working guns" that are set up for defense or whatever, my various custom competition pistols/rifles, and a whole bunch of beautiful blued steel and walnut rifles. My safe has segments with 6-12 single action Rugers/Colts, same for DA Smiths and Colts, 1911's, polymer pistols, etc. I'm not a big shotgunner, but I keep a few nice bird guns in there along side my many target bolt actions and .22's. I am really big on having a premium gun to shoot any and every shooting sport, so I built a pair of F-Class rifles in Open and T/R, Bianchi Cup pistols for all divisions, USPSA Open and Production rigs, Steel Challenge pistols, Bullseye .45, various DA revos, cowboy action guns, ELR rifle in 338 Lapua, tactical PRS type rifles in 308 and 6.5CM, Highpower/Service Rifle, smallbore target pistols/rifles, trap guns, silhouette pistols, 3-gun rigs, the list goes on. If there's a target, no matter the size or distance, I want to be able to touch it. Of course, then I have some guns "just because", many of which were deals too good to pass up.

Started collecting over 40 years ago.....for some reason focused on 1897 Winchester shotguns...mostly military......loved riots and trench guns.......simply can not afford to buy any more.....the prices have skyrocketed on genuine guns....a two sided sword....

• 2 weeks later...

My collection is mainly WWII but I do try to get an Infantry weapon from every U.S. military era. The oldest is my brownbess. I have a (repro) zouave and 1851 navy to cover the civilwar. Many more, mostly rifles. One thing to remember when collecting, is keep to your original plan because it can grow into a monster.

My ultimate gun collection would prob'ly be:

Dan Wesson .357 revolver 8" vent barrel.

Dan Wesson .44 revolver 10" vent barrel.

1911 .45 ACP (single stack)

1911 10 mm (single stack)

1911 .38 super race gun (Single stack)

1911 .38 super race gun (double stack)

CZ75 B 9mm

'98 Mauser in 7x57

Savage 10BA .308

Marlin 336 CS .35 Remington

Sprinfield Armory Loaded M1A

No. Not a huge collection and half of them I have already. But it's all I really WANT.

Interesting, because I really like single stacks. I love my .45acp. Maybe a 10mm and a 9mm, and a........?

40S&W... 38 Super... 357 Sig... 10mm Centaur... 45GAP... 460 Rowland... .380... 22LR...

An old family friend had cool collection of .22 pocket pistols. He had a old timey suitcase he kept his presentation pieces in and when showing them off he would open it up and and with flourish give an interesting presentation of the history of the .22 pocket pistol and had lots examples he would show while talking. He gave presentations to places like the VFW, scouts, and other such organizations. I think he died about 15 years ago and my family said they thought the collection was pieced out to members of his family as mementos. I hope they kept the main collection intact. I've seen some pretty cool collections, but for some reason that one really stands out in my mind. He loved his little guns. When I was about 20 he sold me a "shooter" - an Iver Johnson TP22 (walther TPH copy) that I carried while stream fishing and generally used the heck out of killing cans and fence posts. Still have it as it is a good little gun.

Practically speaking, it was a collection that took up relatively little space (although he had a bunch of "shooters" that filled most of a closet), was influential in American culture, had interesting stories and histories, and probably didn't cost an arm and a leg for each piece.

Not ready to do a historical collection, but from a practical-tactical point of view I like building duplicates/spares of everything, a high-end and low-end AR, shotgun, pistol, etc. so that you have a mudder for bad conditions and a nicer gun for nicer days. And if my fancy gun's $300 bolt goes down, I can always scavenge the lowly gun's $75 bolt to get the job done. I do the same sort of thing with sports and photo gear... one nice kit, one beater. Makes everything last longer and saves money in the end (in theory lol).

Edited by Frankly

I can't afford to own guns I don't use and I am not really a vintage guy but with that said, I think I would go with a Hollywood Old West theme. Starting with Josh Randall's Mare's Leg. And I'm not talking about a modern repro. I'm talking about taking an original rifle and having it cut down and customized by a professional. Which I know is blasphemy and pretty stupid cause it would completely devalue the weapon. But this is a fantasy so what the hell. And then I would move onto Josey Wales, Unforgiven, Pale Rider, etc