Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 2011 - Need Holster Recommendation

Nowind0

Just picked up my 2011 in 9mm built by Accuracy X and noticed that none of my 1911 holsters fit due to the full length dust cover, Dooh.

Any recommendations? Will be mainly shooting 3 Gun so retention is a must.

This is my first 2011, so any other recommendations are also welcomed. I have noticed that I am going to have a tough time reaching the slide release without changing my grip.

Thanks in advance.

post-16254-0-42784900-1445260390_thumb.j

1st choice: Safariland GLS ProFit long version - active retention for 3gun, not nearly as costly as other holsters out there, VERY natural and fast draw. Minor mods to avoid the mag release button (if you have an oversized one) and to cut down the release lever a bit.

2nd choice: Safariland ALS for Springfield Operator - active retention for 3gun, more costly than GLS, smooth and fast draw, but not quite as natural as the GLS. Requires minor mods for 2011.

Hello: A Blade Tech DOH with thumb screws on the tension screws. You can crank them down when needed or loosen them up for faster draws. You can also add a Tec Lok so you can remove it from your belt easily when not needed. I would look around and see what others are using in your area so you can see what might work best for you. Thanks, Eric

I run a Bladetech WRS as I wanted an extra level of retention to prevent me going one way and my holstered pistol going another. I have seen too many people lose their pistols and having to go home early, including a squad member at FN this year.

That said the N.E.R.D Pistol Coffin is very interesting to me and I would be willing to give them a go.

FYSA: generally, the reason they won't fit is bc those kydex holsters tension that "click" on the trigger guard. So a holster for a 1911 w a rounded trigger guard won't have the same fit as most 2011's w squared trigger guards. Then you also have to consider long/short dust covers as mentioned previously

I run a Bladetech WRS as I wanted an extra level of retention to prevent me going one way and my holstered pistol going another. I have seen too many people lose their pistols and having to go home early, including a squad member at FN this year.

That said the N.E.R.D Pistol Coffin is very interesting to me and I would be willing to give them a go.

I am considering getting a WRS and using the boss holster hanger. How do you like the WRS? How is the retention when the hood is left down?

Thanks!

I am considering getting a WRS and using the boss holster hanger. How do you like the WRS? How is the retention when the hood is left down?

Thanks!

I have mine on an Invictus Practical hanger and I like it. Hanger is stiffer than the Kydex Bladetech uses so I get a smoother draw. I can't comment on retention with hood down as the only time I am in that condition is during a draw. I can say that once the hood falls the draw is smooth and I have had no hang-ups.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get the Double Alpha race master for STI. I been using it for 4 years now and no issues with it. I also have the insert blocks for my other guns and it's very easy to install. I the Ghost holster but I am not confident using it because it feels like it's not locked securely (gun might drop). They came out with the newer magnetic version and a quick belt release (if your traveling and don't want a bulky range bag with you). You can also quickly remove your current gun holster and put in another (different gun) holster without the need of removing your belt and no adjustment needed.

Get the Double Alpha race master for STI. I been using it for 4 years now and no issues with it. I also have the insert blocks for my other guns and it's very easy to install. I the Ghost holster but I am not confident using it because it feels like it's not locked securely (gun might drop). They came out with the newer magnetic version and a quick belt release (if your traveling and don't want a bulky range bag with you). You can also quickly remove your current gun holster and put in another (different gun) holster without the need of removing your belt and no adjustment needed.

The race master is solid. With the lock on the gun it is not going anywhere. I use the barrel support option and its great. There are some instances were you would not want to use it in 3 gun with having to go prone or crawling around on the ground. I don't want to scratch up my gun. For USPSA the race master is hard to beat.