Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Mags - Followers - Shims 9mm

Eric_Vmax

Hello: I am testing a 140mm mag right now with a Dawson 38 follower, ISMI spring with a Dawson base pad. It is working 100% with loads loaded to 1.170". I even tried some at 1.140" but have not shot enough of these to say it is 100% yet. I have a 170mm tube now and I will be testing it soon. For something that is easy to setup use STI tube, Hardy or Shooters Connection metal spacers, Grams springs/ followers and a Dawson base pad. Thanks, Eric

I use the plastic spacers silicone'd in place, with Grams follower/spring, & they work 100% with my 1.16" loads.

I use Hardy spacers and apply blue permatex to hold them in place.

Load at 1.155 with TTI followers & bases.

100% for me.

I had not heard about Hardy Spacer, had seen the TTi and STI. Have either of you used the TTi as well, any issues with others. Thanks for the permatex info, will find that as well!

The Taran and hardy spacers are VERY similar. The Taran is a little more refined though in tha the edges are cleaned up and it's a little more polished. I have both in my mags and both work the same. As for attaching the follower I use something called e6000 which Walmart has in the paint section with the glues. It's an industrial adhesive that's vibration resistant and has some flex so it won't crack. I apply a line down the middle then spread it out some. To the edges. Install and the. Put the follower and spring in and a few dummy rounds to hold it while it sets. Sets in 24 hours max strength in 72. I use the grams guts and Dawson or Taran base pads

Edited by EkuJustice

Great information; has anyone had any issues with the spacers when using the Dawson basepads? I was just running some dummies through and noticed that the spacer slipped down a bit on my 140s. These are STI spacers, ordering the TT spacers today for 170s and will try a 140 as well.

I use the plastic spacers silicone'd in place, with Grams follower/spring, & they work 100% with my 1.16" loads.

I use Hardy spacers and apply blue permatex to hold them in place.

Load at 1.155 with TTI followers & bases.

100% for me.

I had not heard about Hardy Spacer, had seen the TTi and STI. Have either of you used the TTi as well, any issues with others. Thanks for the permatex info, will find that as well!

I did use Sti stock spacers without issues but switched to Hardy when I bought TTI pads.

The blue permatex is working out great for me keeping them right in place. Just don't over apply

Try it without spacers first. One forum member shot thousands of rounds without spacers without any malfunctions. If you do use the spacers, the metal ones like Hardy is the best. According to Mr Hardy, do not glue the spacers in place. The Dawson and Grams basepad works the best with spacers.

Sent from the range

On 9mm, when I load longer than 1.160 and have my mags setup with a arrendondo, TT or Hardy spacer I am having issues with the bullet nose dragging on the front inside of the mag tube and preventing positive feeding in the magazine. Is anyone else having these issues?

The first step, I obviously shortened my load to 1.15-1.155, at this point I have started showing pressure signs.

Not sure were to go from here. Any thoughts?

I have tried standard STI 170mm mags with stock internals, with 9mm follower/space, 9mm TTI follower/spring with Hardy spacer and SPS 170mm mags with stock internals.

The SPS ran strait out off the box and when it starts to have feed issues, then change the spring or pull it back to specs. Sometimes it can go salt shaker on you if you load it with 29 rounds and slams it very hard into the gun. (Happened to me twice at a IPSC level 3 and 4 match)

STI mags needed some feed lip tuning and after that, it didn't make any difference what internals I used in it.