Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1911 Ice gap inserts brittle?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I am getting my 1911 ready for single stack and changed out the old no gap insert to try my new mags with the gap insert. I am trying to see which setup is faster for me. The old no gap insert comes out with no problem. Insert the new gap insert do some reloads and then decide to go back to the no gap. The new gap insert is super tight. Install the Dawson screwdriver and crack. A piece breaks off the new insert and goes flying. WTF. The old insert came out easily. Well, I finally got the new insert out and installed the old no gap. I did some more reloads and I have decided the gap works just as well for me and I won't have to buy any more base pads for the new mags. Take the no gap out again it came out easily. I checked both inserts and the new one is a lot harder than the old one. Did I get a bad insert or are the new ones harder than the older ones? Let me know. Thanks, Eric

I had the same problem when I tried to remove it to tighten up the magwell to backstrap bolt. Tried to remove the insert and "snap!" Ended up having to break it further just to get it off. Replaced it with my old gap insert until I could get a new no-gap one in. The old one popped right back out without a problem. Definitely pissed me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please use the tech support email address at dawsonprecision.com

or call and ask to speak to Huston.

Had same problem when switching mine to a white one recently. The black one popped a shard from the tool insertion port. I will send you an email, and the part if you want to look at it.

Not just the no gap inserts. I bought a new mag well about 2 months ago with the gap insert, decided that I wanted to try the no gap. When I tried to remove the insert a 3/16" wide by 3/4" long piece snapped off. No problem with my new no gap insert or with the one on my XDm.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...